Home U.S. Coin Forum

Does MyCollect have a tutorial?

FrankHFrankH Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like a replacement for Collective Coin that seems to lose a feature per day. :#

Is your "collection" considered to be "My Inventory"? Even when it isn't for sale?
I don't do "sets" but that seems to be the only other place an existing collection could be listed.

I did a blog one time but it's not as easy as having a place to .....store.... images and data.

Comments

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have my certified coins up there and it will be just inventory that you can see or allow friends/public to see if you set the privacy. But the sets are all registry sets. None of my coins are for sale so they just sit in my inventory. A lot of coins I have aren’t in sets, either.

• FrankHFrankH Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:
    I have my certified coins up there and it will be just inventory that you can see or allow friends/public to see if you set the privacy. But the sets are all registry sets. None of my coins are for sale so they just sit in my inventory. A lot of coins I have aren’t in sets, either.

I just set up a Word file that can insert images. Seems no way to find a drag and drop procedure to ANY coin record file or site. "Insert Picture* is a very involved procedure to create a Word doc with several images.

I will miss Collective Coin forever. :'(

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FrankH said:

@TurtleCat said:

I just set up a Word file that can insert images. Seems no way to find a drag and drop procedure to ANY coin record file or site. "Insert Picture* is a very involved procedure to create a Word doc with several images.

And, of course, only certified coins with MyCollect right now. Yeah, a lot of things will end up being ad hoc solutions or stuff you create on your own. I have a simple spreadsheet that I maintain a few extra details in and also for insurance purposes. Coins, in spite of their cost and risk, really just want to be on a shelf or curio or something that you can look at every day.

@TurtleCat said:

@FrankH said:

@TurtleCat said:

And, of course, only certified coins with MyCollect right now. Yeah, a lot of things will end up being ad hoc solutions or stuff you create on your own. I have a simple spreadsheet that I maintain a few extra details in and also for insurance purposes. Coins, in spite of their cost and risk, really just want to be on a shelf or curio or something that you can look at every day.

Yes, I saw only certified coins. Combine that with other shortcomings and it's of no use to me.

oh goody...

Error
    The address "hi@collectivecoin.com." in the "To" field was not recognized. Please make sure that all addresses are properly formed.

:s

• steve_richardsonsteve_richardson Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2024 11:56AM

@FrankH said:
    oh goody...
    Error
    The address "hi@collectivecoin.com." in the "To" field was not recognized. Please make sure that all addresses are properly formed.

Looks like you have an extra dot after the “.com”

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FrankH

I sent Todd at MyCollect.com a message to see if what you are asking can currently be done.
    Will let you know what the reply is when he responds.

Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• retirednowretirednow Posts: 512 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:

@FrankH said:

@TurtleCat said:

For me Collective Coin has always had a very limited features and after STACKCS acquisition, nothing has been done to make it anymore useful. I always had like the Custom Registry at NGC ... if one is not interested in Registry Competition you can load almost anything into it for inventory management with photos for record keeping. Unlike CollectiveCoins, you can have different reports generated.

In the end my good old Excel Spread sheet does it all and I can customized it as my interested expanded. I load images and web links into the fields to complete the information about my pieces.

PCGS/ CAC/ and Mycollect all have restrictions with loading your collection into the the system and then limited in sorting and reporting.

OMG ... My Mother was Right about Everything!
    I wake up with a Good Attitude Every Day. Then … Idiots Happen!

@FrankH said:
    I'd like a replacement for Collective Coin that seems to lose a feature per day. :#

Is your "collection" considered to be "My Inventory"? Even when it isn't for sale?
    I don't do "sets" but that seems to be the only other place an existing collection could be listed.

I did a blog one time but it's not as easy as having a place to .....store.... images and data.

OH yes I forgot ... if you realy want an online version for records - do not forget Heritage Auctions web site. If you have log into the web site with an account, you have access to their MyCollection® where you create your own inventory and create your own sets. When I was active I used it offend and when you look at the coin record you view all the Heritage links to prior pieces sold , their display of the TPG population reports for the type etc. You can print off reports as well

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not just use the PCGS registry? You don't have to setup registry sets but you could do two showcase sets one for your collection and one for items you are selling.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

@steve_richardson said:

@FrankH said:
    oh goody...
    Error

Looks like you have an extra dot after the “.com”

You are right! Removed it and it supposedly sent it. Hope so. B)

@WAYNEAS said:
    @FrankH

I sent Todd at MyCollect.com a message to see if what you are asking can currently be done.
    Will let you know what the reply is when he responds.

Wayne

Just an update. I have not heard back from Todd as of yet but I know he viewed my pm.
    Will update when I get some info to share.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

To all
    Response from the programmer:

Adding sets or inventory defaulting to "public". Currently there is no way to change the default, you need to manually set friends/private if you don't want them public. We do have a ticket re: the default privacy since it should be a user preference.

Once sets or inventory is added or edited to "private" (or any other settings) then that's it, we do not change user settings.

Changing a set to private does not change any inventory privacy, the user needs to edit the inventory separately to manage their privacy.

not mentioned but I can imagine following on from (3) above is how to bulk-change the privacy on a lot of inventory. Currently that's not possible, they will need to edit each one separately.

re: the not-for-sale question. I don't follow. If the inventory is private no one will see it. If they are public/friends then individually each coin has a flag for whether it's for sale - the default is off so unless they toggled it on for every coin then they're not for sale.
    I hope this helps.

Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

@coinbuf said:
    Why not just use the PCGS registry? You don't have to setup registry sets but you could do two showcase sets one for your collection and one for items you are selling.

you cannot load NGC nor ANACS ...only PCGS

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

@retirednow said:

@coinbuf said:

you cannot load NGC nor ANACS ...only PCGS

You can load them into your inventory here just as you can on the NGC registry. I can work around the holder issue and show any coin on the NGC custom registry sets, maybe that is not doable on the PCGS showcases.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are people actually using that silly website?

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:
    Are people actually using that silly website?

No.

I had high hopes, but in all of my groups it became increasingly obvious I was basically talking to myself.

So I left. Presumably no one noticed. :D

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file