Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do you re-examine all of your coins regularly or just keep them stored away

starsandstripesstarsandstripes Posts: 74 ✭✭✭
edited July 17, 2024 4:41PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I haven't looked at my collection extensively for 10 years. just a few keys once in a while. I have noticed my buffalo nickels acquire enhanced iridescent toning over the years

Stars&Stripes

Comments

• hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2024 4:45PM

I look at my coins pretty regularly. Just yesterday I took out all the raw albums. Because of that I upgraded 2 coins today. Why have a hobby if you don’t enjoy it?

• hfjacinto, I am with you on that having accumulated over 300 buffalo nickels over 25 years I just this weekend put every coin i own out on the living room table and enjoyed every minute looking over my collection. it's was definitely a collector moment.

Stars&Stripes
  • JJMJJM Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

About twice a year i take a look

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m always researching, writing articles, posting something and working on an exhibit. A type can be the basis of many projects.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • TimNHTimNH Posts: 144 ✭✭✭

Problem is, if they're handy to look at, they're also handy to steal. I hide mine away and get them out only when I get a new one, or want to show them off.

• SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regularly

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2024 7:05PM

Keep a bunch of melt value silver coins around. Good to view sometimes, without peering through plastic.

• BarbercoinBarbercoin Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

After a very long hiatus (12+?) from my hobby, they are all over the kitchen table! Right now. I am swimming in them! :):)

Wife, not that happy! I think I’ve examined every one of them! I swear, I always want to change their grades. Sometimes up and sometimes down, but never do. Must be a mental disorder name for that!

WTB: Barber Quarters XF

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2024 8:32PM

The actual coins I see once or twice a year minimum, to replace desiccant in the SDB, sometimes more often if I purchase something new, but I look at their images just about every day.

Mr_Spud

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once and a while with a sds check yearly

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

I look at some occasionally. Usually when someone finds a new variety or possible error and it makes me search my danscos. Lol

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

I go to coin club meetings four times a month. So, four times a month, I'm rummaging through the collection, looking for items to bring to the clubs for show-and-tell. Then, once every couple of months, I gather up all the coins pulled out of the albums, sort them out, and put them all back in again.

Then I'm also occasionally pulling coins out to image for posting on one of the online forums I'm involved with. Because less than 5% of my collection is already imaged.

Then of course there are times of acquisition, when new purchases are inserted into the albums.

So yeah, I'm going through the collection at least once a week, for one reason or another.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoy my coins about once a month, sometimes every two months.

I rotate. I enjoy my Ancients, then my U.S., then my World coins.

My small stamp and paper currency collections are lucky to see daylight every 6 months.

• pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Franklin collection in a Capital holder I see every day but “examine” the coins a few times a year. Other coins are locked away so those I pull once or twice a year to look over and enjoy.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not as often as I would like, the downside of a SDB.

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of mine are slabbed & in a SDB. But I do manage about a monthly visit to the bank to add, rearrange & check out certain ones I’ve determined beforehand. Pretty good balance, at least for me.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

@starsandstripes said:
    Do you re-examine all of your coins regularly or just keep them stored away

Thanks to this forum, continuously. I have found several varieties and errors over the years on my collection, I didn't know I had. Even in straight graded slabs! I've often said; my greatest fear is having something significant or rare in my collection and not know it!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭

I have had my coins close at hand for easy examination for many years (decades). about 2 years ago I did an office overhall and now have my coins close at hand plus have a fold up wooden tray by my computer. This way I can put out up to 30 coins (Slabbed) at any time.
    This way I can look at a coin on my screen and see how it would fit into my collection. Tray is full of Seated Dimes at the moment. James

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

My best coins are in a SDB so I rarely see them. I have coins in tubes and albums but only look a few times a year. I’m learning that I really enjoy coins and seeing them and such but not always as interested in owning them. If I lived near the ANS I wouldn’t own anything but visit often to look, hold, and photograph as desired.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

My collection is in a SDB which makes it very difficult for me to view my coins on a regular basis.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over tha past few months, I've been looking at mine several times a week. I'm in the midst of a few last transactions before I stop obsessing over coins and start obsessing over malaria research once again :smile:

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • anablepanablep Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

I regularly examine it, otherwise why bother collecting if I don’t enjoy it…

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • JWPJWP Posts: 21,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2024 10:16AM

I look through my safe almost every day. I keep looking for that lost coin and just can't seem to find it. I do find a lot of other coins that I had forgotten about too. I guess I 'm foraging for that lost coin and not real looking for it after all. When you get old, sometimes you just need a reason to do something.

This is my coin club meeting place

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• RiveraFamilyCollectRiveraFamilyCollect Posts: 573 ✭✭✭✭

I find I only examine my collection when I add something new, or when I am taking a picture.

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

I drive over to Duckburg and look at my collection weekly. Scrooge McDuck's Money Bin is a great place to store a collection though I hope his latest security measures keep the Beagle Boys out!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always have a coin on a miniature easel on display on my desk. I rotate them in out frequently. It’s no fun to keep everything locked away.

• RiveraFamilyCollectRiveraFamilyCollect Posts: 573 ✭✭✭✭

I need to booby trap my hoard a little bit harder. I got fake NGC holder and an aitag. but the device is too thick to close into a holder. So I need to cut the back plastic off the holder to get the airtag in there properly.
    So i;ll probably take everything out an look at my favorites then.

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two thirds had to be put aside (appox. 5 boxes + of cents) so to slowly get a handle on how to approach their
    storage and photos alittle bit at a time .
    Yes, I slide show photo's to examine often.
    Yes, some are still waiting to be examined with photograph's

• Old_CollectorOld_Collector Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

I keep my current focus coins on my desk in PCGS boxes, which right now is a PCGS 65FBL Franklin set (except for the 53-S until I find an MS61) that needs 10 still. A few coming in auctions, but no rush they have to be the "right" coin, whatever that is but I know it when I see it. ;)

• Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a heavy duty safe that I keep mine in. Fireproof and next to impossible to get into.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
    Dantheman984 Toyz4geo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file