Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭

Be sure to check out their other items. :|

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭

New sellers think that Ebay buyers are dumb, but those moonshot listings always fail.

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my opinion these are unsupervised kids trying to make a fast buck off stupid people.

• jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do us all a favor and post a good deal next time so I can buy it:)

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.
    BHNC #AN-10
    JRCS #1606

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Are so many this dumb" Yes they are!

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never seen one of these with a bid. If they don't sell, ebay makes no money. I would think ebay would be better off charging a modest listing fee.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

@ajaan said:
    I've never seen one of these with a bid. If they don't sell, ebay makes no money. I would think ebay would be better off charging a modest listing fee.

I've been saying that for years. There is no downside to these idiots. If they went back to charging a listing fee this might slow them down a bit.

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ajaan said:

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't worry, there's plenty of stupidity to go around. This was all just from an hour of scrolling.

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

WOW, there are a lot of idiots out there.................geeezzzz
    No wonder why ebay doesn't want to do anything

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:
    WOW, there are a lot of idiots out there.................geeezzzz
    No wonder why ebay doesn't want to do anything

The ebay reps aren't any smarter than the buyers or sellers... that's why they don't do anything. ;)

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hummingbird_coins said:
    Don't worry, there's plenty of stupidity to go around. This was all just from an hour of scrolling.

I wonder how many of these sellers actually got paid.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stupid is....

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    Money Laundering? 🧐

If they actually ever sell, I’d suspect that.

I have long suspected that some of these absurd listings for pocket change or current circulated banknotes that get bids are actually examples of money laundering.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2024 3:35AM

@JBK said:

@Mr_Spud said:
    Money Laundering? 🧐

I have long suspected that some of these absurd listings for pocket change or current circulated banknotes that get bids are actually examples of money laundering.

And how would that work? They're is no way to pay for them with dirty money.

And you'd actually have to make the sale. 99% of this never result in a sale.

You could use this to transfer money to an illicit person or organization. But is that "money laundering"? And wouldn't it be easier and more secretive to do it directly in crypto or small venmo payments? EBay transactions are publicly visible.

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@JBK said:

@Mr_Spud said:
    Money Laundering? 🧐

You could use this to transfer money to an illicit person or organization. But is that "money laundering"? And wouldn't it be easier and more secretive to do it directly in crypto or small venmo payments? EBay transactions are publicly visible.

Doesn't ebay also do 1099's with sellers now also?

• RodentmanRodentman Posts: 85 ✭✭✭

It's the ultimate rarity. Precious few coins were minted w/o a date.

@bsshog40 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@JBK said:

@Mr_Spud said:
    Money Laundering? 🧐

Doesn't ebay also do 1099's with sellers now also?

Yes. That's why I don't understand the "laundering" suggestion. There's too many records of the transaction.

• CregCreg Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2024 5:46AM

I sell a bunch of dope and make a lot of cash. I want to buy a Supra. That money must be legal. I give my girlfriends money and they buy rummage from me on eBay. I pay fees and taxes; now, the money is legal. I lost a percentage, that’s a cost. Subtlety helps.

• Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn't really bother me. I just ignore it.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
    Dantheman984 Toyz4geo

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't forget the idiot who has been selling a "rear error of Dr. Sally Ride" for $40k for months. That comes and goes, sometimes it's $2,000.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to believe but with the number of "no cent" auctions and so many sold, unreal. More to it, I believe.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

edited July 16, 2024 8:04AM

@Creg said:
    I sell a bunch of dope and make a lot of cash. I want to buy a Supra. That money must be legal. I give my girlfriends money and they buy rummage from me on eBay. I pay fees and taxes; now, the money is legal. I lost a percentage, that’s a cost. Subtlety helps.

Except in order for your GFs to spend the money, they have to launder it FIRST. You can't pay with cash on eBay.

And once your GFs have put the cash in a bank or on a credit card or whatever, they could just venmo cash to you.

What is the point of doing a public transaction with already laundered money?

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Creg said:

Except in order for your GFs to spend the money, they have to laundering it FIRST. You can't pay with cash on eBay.

And once your GFs have put the cash in a bank or on a credit card or whatever, they could just venmo cash to you.

I believe that he is not referring to himself in this instance, but to a hypothetical figment of his imagination. This hypothetical figment is apparently quite the despicable person.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

edited July 16, 2024 7:46AM

@CRHer700 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Creg said:

Except in order for your GFs to spend the money, they have to laundering it FIRST. You can't pay with cash on eBay.

I believe that he is not referring to himself in this instance, but to a hypothetical figment of his imagination. This hypothetical figment is apparently quite the despicable person.

Lol. Yes, I know. But I still don't understand the alleged "laundering ".

Is there any way to determine the number of returns/cancelled orders for these particular auctions? Not ebay savy.
    @jmlanzaf Also not fluent with laundering methods, so pardon the reference.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

@jesbroken said:
    Is there any way to determine the number of returns/cancelled orders for these particular auctions? Not ebay savy.
    @jmlanzaf Also not fluent with laundering methods, so pardon the reference.
    Jim

I'm not criticizing anyone. I just don't understand how it would work.

You can't see returns or cancelations for other people.

@JBK said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Creg said:

Except in order for your GFs to spend the money, they have to launder it FIRST. You can't pay with cash on eBay.

I work in an industry where money laundering is a major threat and we get annual training on it.

Ebay offers perfect opportunities for ML.

The IRS/govt is not tracking the spending of buyers on ebay. It's tracking the income of sellers. (1099 forms).

A seller takes in money from a series of transactions and pays taxes on that. The money is now legal. They "earned" it and they paid taxes on it.

The item just has to get paid for. The buyer and seller are in cahoots. Heck maybe they're even the same person.

All ML involves illegal money entering the legal flow, where it gets accounted for as a supposedly legitimate transaction. Where the buyer got the money from is usually not the focus, or at least can be easily concealed with prepaid debit cards, etc. used for relatively small transactions.

A retail storefront, an eBay listing, income from a phony job - it all allows money to be laundered. Yes, there are costs associated with the laundering, but that's the price of getting the money clean.

But don't you see my point? The buyer is the one laundering it. And once they've laundered it, there are many less public ways of getting it to the seller (crypto or venmo or zelle etc). There is no need for an eBay sale.

I've also never seen one of these sellers with multiple sales. So if you are laundering any significant amount of money, you would have to be doing it through multiple accounts.

I can think of a dozen easier and less visible ways of doing it. And I'm not exactly a criminal mastermind.

@jmlanzaf said:

@Creg said:

I pay eBay, IRS, and my friends to launder it.
    I give them the cash for raking my yard. They pay with C.C.
    Recorded through eBay transaction,
    Recorded through taxes.
    Laundering likes layering

@jmlanzaf said:

Lol. Yes, I know. But I still don't understand the alleged "laundering ".

You have a small talent for criminality, then. I grew up with them.

edited July 16, 2024 8:58AM

@jmlanzaf said:

But don't you see my point? The buyer is the one laundering it. And once they've laundered it, there are many less public ways of getting it to the seller (crypto or venmo or zelle etc). There is no need for an eBay sale.

I've also never seen one of these sellers with multiple sales. So if you are laundering any significant amount of money, you would have to be doing it through multiple accounts.

I found a guy with thirty pages of one-bid sales at inflated prices.

I can think of a dozen easier and less visible ways of doing it. And I'm not exactly a criminal mastermind

For instance, how would you hide moonshine profits?

The buyer is laundering my money for me. I do not have to give him the lawn tractor he bought for five times the value. I give him his cut. I can’t launder my own money.

An investigation could find the inconsistencies, but until the problem is large, no one has the time to investigate the eBay sewers. It’s a good place to hide.

edited July 16, 2024 10:52AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@JBK said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Creg said:

I work in an industry where money laundering is a major threat and we get annual training on it.

The IRS/govt is not tracking the spending of buyers on ebay. It's tracking the income of sellers. (1099 forms).

A seller takes in money from a series of transactions and pays taxes on that. The money is now legal. They "earned" it and they paid taxes on it.

The item just has to get paid for. The buyer and seller are in cahoots. Heck maybe they're even the same person.

All ML involves illegal money entering the legal flow, where it gets accounted for as a supposedly legitimate transaction. Where the buyer got the money from is usually not the focus, or at least can be easily concealed with prepaid debit cards, etc. used for relatively small transactions.

A retail storefront, an eBay listing, income from a phony job - it all allows money to be laundered. Yes, there are costs associated with the laundering, but that's the price of getting the money clean.

But don't you see my point? The buyer is the one laundering it. And once they've laundered it, there are many less public ways of getting it to the seller(crypto or venmo or zelle etc). There is no need for an eBay sale.

But don't you see my point? The buyer and seller are working together and might even be the same person. For example, the the seller might be giving the buyer the dirty money in cash to use for payment.

And it is not about finding less public ways of transferring the money - it's about finding more public ways of doing that.

A person can't just put $50,000 dollars on their tax form as miscellaneous income and expect to be safe from government scrutiny. But, they can run a "successful" eBay business where they have $50,000 in profits from many (relatively) small transactions. They happily pay their taxes (you of all people should appreciate that) and the money is now laundered.

There are lots of ways to launder money. EBay could be just one of them.

edited July 16, 2024 9:21AM

@JBK said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@JBK said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Creg said:

But don't you see my point? The buyer is the one laundering it. And once they've laundered it, there are many less public ways of getting it to the seller(crypto or venmo or zelle etc). There is no need for an eBay sale.

But don't you see my point? The buyer and seller are working together and might even be the same person. For exampke, the the seller might be giving the buyer the dirty money in cash to use for payment.

And it is not about finding less public ways of transferring the money - it's about finding more public ways of doing that.

A person can't just put $50,000 dollars on their tax form as miscellaneous income and expect to be safe from government scrutiny. But, they can run a "successful" eBay business where they have $50,000 in profits from many (relatively) small transactions. They happily pay their taxes (you of all people should appreciate that) and the money is now laundered.

Yes. I get that. But it really violates the normal precepts of laundering CASH. If the illegal funds are already digital, I suppose that works. I guess I'm hung up on the idea that the illegal proceeds are cash. With cash you still have the problem of the buyer(s) depositing good of cash. The usual strategy was to run the cash through a cash business to inflate receipts.

So I presume we're laundering digital dirty money?

I also don't see why I want a public record that law enforcement can see. While you want legal (reported) transactions, why do I want it in a publicly searchable database?

And why not create less suspicious activity by "selling" properly priced luxury goods?

@jmlanzaf said:

@JBK said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@JBK said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Creg said:

But don't you see my point? The buyer and seller are working together and might even be the same person. For exampke, the the seller might be giving the buyer the dirty money in cash to use for payment.

Yes. I get that. But it really violates the normal precepts of laundering CASH. If the illegal funds are already digital, I suppose that works. I guess I'm hung up on the idea that the illegal proceeds are cash. With cash you still have the problem of the buyer(s) depositing good of cash. The usual strategy was to run the cash through a cash business to inflate receipts.

Not necessarily. A drug dealer sells $100 worth of drugs, goes into the convenience store and buys a prepaid debit/credit card, uses that card to buy nonsense on ebay from a friend (or himself).

I also don't see why I want a public record that law enforcement can see. While you want legal (reported) transactions, why do I want it in a publicly searchable database?

Ebay is just one potential outlet. And it may not be the best one. It might be a brilliant idea, a terrible idea, or something in between. Look at who we're dealing with here.

And why not create less suspicious activity by "selling" properly priced luxury goods?

And where did you get the money to buy your inventory of luxury goods? 🤔

I would think if a seller paid cash for a group of coins with laundry money, then set up several different ID's on ebay, then
    sell the coin at a lower than average price to ensure immediate sale. They would then have laundered the money and the many different seller ID's would keep the total yearly amount low enough to stay below the IRS 1099 amounts. I'm sure there would be problems, but it is possible.
    Jim

edited July 16, 2024 10:22AM

@jmlanzaf said:

Why not? Seller sends buyer a $1250.00 box of Kleen-ex who PayPals the seller the cash that the seller gave the buyer.—positive feedback guaranteed. Multiply that.

@JBK said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@JBK said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@JBK said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Creg said:

Not necessarily. A drug dealer sells $100 worth of drugs, goes into the convenience store and buys a prepaid debit/credit card, uses that card to buy nonsense on ebay from a friend (or himself).

Ebay is just one potential outlet. And it may not be the best one. It might be a brilliant idea, a terrible idea, or something in between. Look at who we're dealing with here.

And where did you get the money to buy your inventory of luxury goods? 🤔

Do they have to be real goods? You're collaborator isn't going to complain. > @Creg said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Why not? Seller sends buyer a $1250.00 box of Kleen-ex who PayPals the seller the cash that the seller gave the buyer.—positive feedback guaranteed. Multiply that.

Exactly. Although they probably need to show a purchase of the goods to justify it. But they can make fake buys from another compatriot.

It was a lot easier when you would just run the cash through a till in a bar. Doing it publicly with actual goods makes it more complicated methinks.

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t really know, but here’s some quick hits I just found using google

Mr_Spud

@jmlanzaf said:
    It was a lot easier when you would just run the cash through a till in a bar. Doing it publicly with actual > > goods makes it more complicated methinks.

Digital transfers and digital currency inserts itself now, and some things are easier too.

Thanks— @MrSpud
    I parse user names; some look code-like.

This thread is fun. I hate to say it though, that I don't think that it will last long. :#

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file