Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Mexico 1732 milled 8 reales simply AMAZING provenance Stack's & Bowers current auction

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 15, 2024 12:11PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

MEXICO. 8 Reales, 1732-Mo F. Mexico City Mint. Philip V. PCGS Genuine--Harshly Cleaned, AU Details.

Lot Description
MEXICO. 8 Reales, 1732-Mo F. Mexico City Mint. Philip V. PCGS Genuine--Harshly Cleaned, AU Details.

KM-103; Cal-1437; Yonaka-M8-32A (this coin illustrated). Variety with three upper bands on right pillar. Struck in the inaugural year of milled coinage in Mexico, this RARE Pillar Dollar is undoubtedly one of the most sought-after issues in the entire Mexican series. While this piece does suffer from an over-zealous cleaning in the fields, it remains a standout exemplar due to its remarkable lack of circulation wear or saltwater corrosion. Each side showcases a beautifully well-executed strike that puts its hammered contemporaries to shame. A stormy gray tone has overtaken the surfaces, heightening the coin's allure and obscuring any defects. Illustriously provenanced and undeniably eye-catching, this beauty will suit any high-end collection of crown-sized world rarities.

Estimate: $10,000 - $15,000.

Provenance: From the S.P. Rutherford Collection.

Ex: Norweb Collection.

Ex: Farouk Collection.

Click here for certification details from PCGS. Image with the PCGS TrueView logo is obtained from and is subject to a license agreement with Collectors Universe, Inc. and its divisions PCGS and PSA.

PCGS # 678001

Comments

• PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen lower graded 1732 milled 8 reales but nothing that compares to this example. Out of my league wish I could afford such a historical coin!!!

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

NGC can’t fit all of the issues in that label

edited July 15, 2024 7:54PM

@Boosibri said:

Agreed but still an amazing provenance the grade is for people who can't afford coins in the 15k + range (many cannot) but I understand your point. For collectors just wanting to own any authentic grade of this coin it has nice eye appeal (just my opinion compared to others I have seen in the last 5 years). For sure if you have deeper pockets this is not the 1732 milled 8 reales for you. For a small time collector like myself I would very pleased to own this example. I cannot afford such a coin at this time in my life but if I could I would bid. Maybe someday hopefully once my home mortgage is paid off. A man has to have some long term collecting dreams.

• SimonWSimonW Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reverse looks nice…

The provenance is pretty cool. It won’t get my money though.

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

@SimonW said:
    The reverse looks nice…

The provenance is pretty cool. It won’t get my money though.

Not a coin for those that want a numerical grade that is for sure. But at least these lower grades allow some to dream of one day owning an example.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

Arguably, while PCGS technically fit everything on the label, it reminds me of the sitcom/cartoon suitcase packing scenes where someone has to sit on it to get it closed. Pretty amazing coin, though.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on my limited, yet growing understanding of SP Rutherford - i bet he was also (if not more) attracted to the P over T re-punch in HISPAN than the provenance being what it is. Is that a documented variety?

edited July 16, 2024 5:41PM

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Based on my limited, yet growing understanding of SP Rutherford - i bet he was also (if not more) attracted to the P over T re-punch in HISPAN than the provenance being what it is. Is that a documented variety?

Good catch TwoKopeiki I looked at Yonaka's book the images do not show that variety (there are 2 types of 1732 milled 8 reales in his book). I never saw that either but then again I did not look closely at the coin either just figured it was a normal 1732.

One been uncommon and one been scarce per Yonaka. The scarce type has 3 mouldings in the pillars.

This one for sale seems to have 3 mouldings between the pillar and the acanthus so the Scarce type per Yonaka. No full image of that type on Yonaka's book so can't say for certain it does not have the T under P in HISPAN but he does not mention it.

@TwoKopeiki said:

Who is SP Rutherford and did it give you pause?

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt Brian wants that coin in his collection regardless of the provenance.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

edited July 17, 2024 9:41AM

I wonder how long Farouk owned the coin. Seems like it was nice enough for a king to add it to his collection. Wonder why he did not buy a better grade maybe he thought it was a numerical grade since grading companies did not exists back then.

I never thought Farouk had this type of coin in his collection. Pretty cool actually.

Again I understand those here that shun authentic coins vs numerical graded coins. I just find this to be a cool coin and personally I would be happy to own such a piece of history.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PillarDollarCollector said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

Phil Rutherford is a very knowledgeable long time collector. I met him at USMEX maybe 5 years ago, and sold him one fantastic coin which I hope to buy back at the auction. Anyway, his name on the provenance can only help, which should be obvious to anyone who studies the auction catalog.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2024 11:25AM

@MrEureka said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

Phil Rutherford is a very knowledgeable long time collector. I met him at USMEX maybe 5 years ago, and sold him one fantastic coin which I hope to buy back at the auction. Anyway, his name on the provenance can only help, which should be obvious to anyone who studies the auction catalog.

I wish i had a chance to meet Phil Rutherford. He's definitely the type of a collector I aspire to become

edited July 17, 2024 12:14PM

@TwoKopeiki said:

@MrEureka said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

I wish i had a chance to meet Phil Rutherford. He's definitely the type of a collector I aspire to become.

Sounds like he had a great collection.

edited August 17, 2024 2:40PM

Sold for 21 600$

Estimate 10 000$ to 15 000$

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder if Farouk was the one who cleaned it. Didn’t his collection include a lot of cleaned coins?

To be fair, those were different times.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.