1909 V.D.B. Worth grading?

Comments

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not even close. :/

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would you want to slab a damaged and burnished 1909 VDB cent?

All glory is fleeting.
  • JWPJWP Posts: 21,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

This cent may have to grade at MS63 to clear the cost of grading. I don't see that happening.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    Yes

Someone who doesn’t know better might not notice that you replied “No” in your previous reply and take this one seriously. If the two posts were to be taken together as humor, it was in poor taste.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

damaged

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent picture!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    Yes

Someone who doesn’t know better might not notice that you replied “No” in your previous reply and take this one seriously. If the two posts were to be taken together as humor, it was in poor taste.

That happens sometimes.

• NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, mark was just making true what a joke was made. This one here is NOT worth the price of grading. Hope that helps. I got the humor though!

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Not even close. :/

There you are :) you were mentioned on the who's missing list recently...

This one wouldn't even straight grade.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

The answer is NO on all the coins you've pictured.

I recommend NOT submitting anything for at least two years. Take that time to learn how to grade and to learn what market prices are for the coins. Then you will be better able to answer the question for yourself.

Respectfully, not a single coin you've posted is worth the postage to submit much less the submission fee. We all pay tuition, but you can save yourself a lot of money by showing down and learning the basics.

Rule #1
    1. 99.5% of all coins are not worth submitting.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2024 1:24PM

This is key:

** Take that time to learn how to grade and to learn what market prices are for the coins. Then you will be better able to answer the question for yourself.**

What you’ve shown us is a coin probably worth less than $5.
    With an economy submission, between fees, shipping and insurance, will probably cost you ~$40.
    It will probably come back in a holder listed as VF Details, cleaned and damaged.
    And it will still be worth less than $5.

I’m not trying to drive business away from our host, but I think they would understand that in the long run, educated customers are better, more satisfied customers.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never seen it before 😒

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Put it in a cardboard 2x2 and grade it yourself. Recommended grade to write on the 2x2,

"VF details, reverse damage."

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, the newest 1909 VDB you have posted appears to have been cleaned in the past. This was quite commonly done to Lincoln cents for at least several decades (mid-to-late 20th century). The coin is worth very little and would not justify the costs of certification.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2024 10:11AM

Learnt it the hard way some time ago that you won't even recoup grading costs on such coins and it is better to buy them already slabbed. On the other hand, the 1909 S v.d.b I had picked up raw graded alongside and made the low end F 12 coin worth double the purchase price,

Only saving grace was that I used freebie coupons, so it did not feel that "sucky" but still......

Just my two cents. ;)

Edited to add picture of the 1909 S v.d.b

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bnwoodward, here is 1909-VDB cent in MS-65, Red. Before you get too excited, these coins were saved in quantity as the first of their kind. Even in this grade, they are not all scarce.

When started out as a dealer in 1995, they were readily available at the shows for $10 each. They were not worth the slab fee then. Prices have up since then, but is still worth less than $200, even in this condition.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • duck620duck620 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭✭

NO!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file