Home U.S. Coin Forum

A new eBay policy?

WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just went to bid on a coin that was ending in 10 minutes on the bay.
When I went to place my bid and I got a pop up asking me on how I was going to pay if I won. As normal, if I had won, I would have paid thru PayPal. When I clicked the PayPal button, it came back with the "by clicking you are authorizing eBay to deduct the winning amount now and in the future on any offers or wins." I have purchased 1000's of coins on ebay, all paid thru PayPal. I have a 100% positive feedback and it shows that I pay within an hour of winning.
IS THIS SOMETHING THE SELLER IS IN CONTROL OF OR EBAY? If it is the bay, we are done.
Please let me know if you have any info on this.
I did email the seller that he lost out on my bid which was higher than the winning bid.
No reply as of yet.
Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Comments

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

It happened to me too and I accepted it. Now, instead of showing I won an auction and telling me to pay for what I won, it automatically pays for the item as soon as the auction finishes. Sometimes I’m not even aware that I won yet and the item shows up at my mailbox store. I’m ok with that, but was confusing the first couple of times I won something.

Mr_Spud

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Treating it the same as accepted offers I believe. It does help protect sellers from deadbeats. I can live with it as I also pay almost immediately and always use PP.

• baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

This just happened to me as a buyer this past weekend.
    I made an offer on an item, I was asked how I would pay ... etc.
    My offer was accepted, and I was notified by an email saying that I had paid for the item.

Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just another ebay improvement. :/

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:

Glad that you are back.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was never answered, is it a ebay thing OR a seller thing
    I am not a fan of this, I like to pay after I win and like mentioned above have the choice of adding coins to reduce shipping

@ifthevamzarockin said:

I think not as well

In my opinion, this will hurt both the buyer and the seller as well.
    I do take into account the shipping costs that I save when making additional bids to the same seller.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

ALSO
    I noticed that ON SOME make an offer they want you to provide a payment option, BUT some don't. So it seems that it might be a sellers option to add this to there auction
    Like I said I'm NOT A FAN!

@alaura22 said:
    ALSO
    I noticed that ON SOME make an offer they want you to provide a payment option, BUT some don't. So it seems that it might be a sellers option to add this to there auction

I was hoping that a seller would let me (us) know if this is an option for them.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:

@alaura22 said:
    ALSO

I was hoping that a seller would let me (us) know if this is an option for them.
    Wayne

I think the answer is both.

The seller can turn it on and off. HOWEVER, I think there are also times that the eBay algorithm demands it.

@jmlanzaf said:

@WAYNEAS said:

@alaura22 said:
    ALSO

Wayne

I think the answer is both.

The seller can turn it on and off. HOWEVER, I think there are also times that the eBay algorithm demands it.

We do know that eBay requires this when using the make an offer option. I go around this feature by contacting the seller directly with my offer and explain why I do not use the option on the listing /auction site . I make sure that the seller goes thru eBay.
    I am looking for a seller to state that this is indeed a feature that they use.
    Thanks
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Since we're on the subject of ebay there are other things tht have changed
    When I used to go to the search window it used to show my past searchs, not any more! Now it shows a list of saved sellers which I deleted months ago.
    AI at work???
    Getting stranger every day...................

@slimbert said:
    As far as I know, the seller does not have control over this, it is an eBay thing. You can read about it the eBay summer seller updates:

https://ebay.com/sellercenter/resources/seller-updates/2024-summer/operations#auctions

"Buyers on select auctions will be required to set up a preferred payment method and shipping address before they can place a bid. After winning an auction, we’ll let them know they have one hour to adjust their order or payment details as needed, otherwise we’ll automatically process their order using their preferred payment method. No action is required from the seller.

These changes aim to improve the auction process on eBay by providing buyers with the ability to decide how they want to pay, while also ensuring that sellers receive payment for their sales. The goal is to foster a more efficient and dependable experience for the entire eBay community."

"As a seller, can I still offer combined shipping for multiple items purchased by the same buyer?

You can still combine multiple purchases from the same buyer in a single shipment, but please be aware that a buyer may be automatically charged for shipping costs for each individual item when payments are processed. In these situations, you can send buyers a refund for any excess shipping charges if you offer combined shipping discounts. In the meantime, we are actively working on solutions that reduce the likelihood of this occurring."

eBay has been working on reducing the number of unpaid sales. Requiring payment method before making offers has been great for sellers (too often a buyer would make an offer, get it accepted, and then the item gets stuck in "awaiting payment" limbo). Looks like they're trying to similarly reduce unpaid auction sales too, but it does raise some complications in certain situations, as other forum members have mentioned prior.

Thank you.
    From what I read here, it would be up to the seller to reimburse the overcharges occurring in the discounted shipping rates.
    OK
    In regards to notifying the seller that they have an hour to make adjustments on how they want to pay; credit card or PayPal.
    This is not an option to delay payment for days so you can participate in a sellers other auctions.
    I will not allow any institution or person to automatically deduct money from my accounts.
    What happens when eBay gets hacked and then PayPal?
    Where and what are eBay’s guarantees on this?
    The ball is now in my court.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use a sniping program and so far I have not been automatically charged. I've seen this pop up on make-offers, but not for bidding. I assume it would have to accept a bid from a sniping program without payment authorization?

I have never used a sniping program so I do not know if it would or would not trigger the authorization requirement to place a bid.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:
    I will not allow any institution or person to automatically deduct money from my accounts.

Smart man! ;)

Ebay guarantees they will take all they can get away with. :D

@ProofCollection said:
    I use a sniping program and so far I have not been automatically charged. I've seen this pop up on make-offers, but not for bidding. I assume it would have to accept a bid from a sniping program without payment authorization?

I also use one sometimes, the last time was last week when 6 coins went off all at the same time, dumb seller in my opinion and I let him know that. Anyway, I won 3 of the coins and then after the auction I paid ON MY OWN, not forced or automatic

Mike,
    I am old school so I snipe the old trusted way.
    Now I know why I lose so many auctions. Lol
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

@WAYNEAS said:
    Mike,
    I am old school so I snipe the old trusted way.
    Now I know why I lose so many auctions. Lol
    Wayne

I agree with you. But when a seller has 6 coins that you would like to bid on and they all close at the samr time one must adjust.
    Also, there was an auction last night that I bid on the old fashioned way, I waited till 10 seconds to go and placed my bid. When I looked it placed the bid with 15 secounds to go!!! So I think that the timer is wrong.
    Anyway, I was outbid :/
    Next time I will use the app

• coinshopcoinshop Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited July 15, 2024 8:21PM

how unique of a system! never seen that one yet..

I just put it together from scratch. California Coins
    Vintage site: JayCoinShop.com (Both same stuff just different flavors?) #numismaticmetals
    Make some stupid offers now. https://collectorscorner.com/dealer/default.aspx?dealerId=1045&pt=1

• ToreyTorey Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

I have always felt that they should automatically charge a card after 24hrs. To be "Top Rated Plus" you have to offer 1-day handling, which means when those who wait to pay FINALLY decide to make whole on their purchase, I have to be at my office that day to package/print labels and drop them off at the PO. Then there's the question of how long you wait for payment before blocking them and re-listing, which I also dislike (people love to accuse shill bidding in those instances).
    Obviously, I know what I signed up for, but it turns it into an "on-call" job with a random crapshoot of a schedule for no reason.
    If you place a bid and win, you should be required to pay within a certain timeframe.
    I write this as I currently have 8 non-payers that are over 48 hrs, like usual.

@Torey said:
    I have always felt that they should automatically charge a card after 24hrs. To be "Top Rated Plus" you have to offer 1-day handling, which means when those who wait to pay FINALLY decide to make whole on their purchase, I have to be at my office that day to package/print labels and drop them off at the PO. Then there's the question of how long you wait for payment before blocking them and re-listing, which I also dislike (people love to accuse shill bidding in those instances).
    Obviously, I know what I signed up for, but it turns it into an "on-call" job with a random crapshoot of a schedule for no reason.
    If you place a bid and win, you should be required to pay within a certain timeframe.
    I write this as I currently have 8 non-payers that are over 48 hrs, like usual.

My main complaint isn't the 24 hours?, it's the 2:59 a.m. East Coast payments. EBay uses Pacific tome to determine the day. If dinnertime pays at 2:59 a.m., I have to ship that SAME day. I don't know why they can't use normal business hours in the time zone I reside.

I believe that ebay’s time frame to pay is 3 days. I also find and understand that most sellers create a shipping label within 24 hours but do not ship for many days afterwards. This is how sellers get around the one day handling requirements. When I view the “track package” and I see that the item is still not in the shippers possession, it will be awhile before I receive the item. Not complaining here as I figure that most people work and cannot get the package out until the weekend.
    Do sellers ship immediately when payment is received immediately?
    I have received my items only a handful of times in under 4 days.
    I would block the buyers who pay after 3 days unless they have made a prior arrangement with me to be late.
    My point of this op was to find out why I could not bid on an auction when I have a 100% positive feedback because I only buy items and do not sell them.
    If I get the pop up on an auction to tell eBay what method that I will be using to pay, I will not bid on that sellers items ever again.
    I will ear mark the seller under the save favorite sellers log and add a note not to buy from them and why.

Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was stated above that this is done on "select auctions ". I wonder how they determine which auctions this process affects? I had a dead beat buyer about a month ago. Had to finally cancel that and relist.

@WAYNEAS said:
    I believe that ebay’s time frame to pay is 3 days. I also find and understand that most sellers create a shipping label within 24 hours but do not ship for many days afterwards. This is how sellers get around the one day handling requirements. When I view the “track package” and I see that the item is still not in the shippers possession, it will be awhile before I receive the item. Not complaining here as I figure that most people work and cannot get the package out until the weekend.
    Do sellers ship immediately when payment is received immediately?
    I have received my items only a handful of times in under 4 days.
    I would block the buyers who pay after 3 days unless they have made a prior arrangement with me to be late.
    My point of this op was to find out why I could not bid on an auction when I have a 100% positive feedback because I only buy items and do not sell them.
    If I get the pop up on an auction to tell eBay what method that I will be using to pay, I will not bid on that sellers items ever again.
    I will ear mark the seller under the save favorite sellers log and add a note not to buy from them and why.

Wayne

You cannot wait if you want top-rated seller status.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t like as I like to put the purchase on the eBay Mastercard and not straight out of the bank account

• bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes when I receive an offer it has a message from eBay saying that the buyers payment is confirmed and that eBay will charge them immediately upon me accepting. Sometimes it doesn’t. I have never made it mandatory. I do know that sellers can require immediate payment otherwise the item will stay listed, but I don’t have that set as requirement on any of my listings. But I offer free shipping, so that part has never been an issue.

Mike,
    I use my lap top, cell phone and Kindle at the same time to bid when different items are ending basically at the same time. All 3 show different times remaining to the end of auction. It varies by about 5 seconds. Lol

Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

edited July 16, 2024 6:59AM

Here is an item that has shipped by eBay Seller.

eBay Notification. Order shipped
    Order date:
    Jul 15, 2024

When I go to track the package, this is what it states.

Track package

USPS: 9400xxxxxxxxx (I edited out the tracking numbers)
    Mon, Jul 15
    12:56pm
    PRE-SHIPMENT INFO SENT USPS AWAITS ITEM
    PEORIA, AZ 85383

Mon, Jul 15
    9:46am
    SHIPPING LBL CREATED USPS AWAITS ITEM
    PEORIA, AZ 85383
    Mon, Jul 15
    Tracking number provided

Please remember that eBay states that the item has shipped.

Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:
    As I am only a buyer, I don't want them to immediately pay the seller as many sellers allow discounts on multiple items won/purchased on shipping charges which becomes null and void as eBay will duduct each item won at the time of the listing ending so I will have to pay $4-6 shipping on each item instead of a one time shipping charge amount plus about .30-.50 cents on the additional items.
    I deal with a seller who lets me delay payment up to 10 days. He charges $4.00 for the first item and then .35 cents for each additional item. If I win/buy 10 items, I will have to pay $40.00 shipping instead of $7.15.
    I can buy another coin at that price.
    Wayne

Excellent point.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

@WAYNEAS said:

@slimbert said:
    As far as I know, the seller does not have control over this, it is an eBay thing. You can read about it the eBay summer seller updates:

https://ebay.com/sellercenter/resources/seller-updates/2024-summer/operations#auctions

"Buyers on select auctions will be required to set up a preferred payment method and shipping address before they can place a bid. After winning an auction, we’ll let them know they have one hour to adjust their order or payment details as needed, otherwise we’ll automatically process their order using their preferred payment method. No action is required from the seller.

These changes aim to improve the auction process on eBay by providing buyers with the ability to decide how they want to pay, while also ensuring that sellers receive payment for their sales. The goal is to foster a more efficient and dependable experience for the entire eBay community."

"As a seller, can I still offer combined shipping for multiple items purchased by the same buyer?

You can still combine multiple purchases from the same buyer in a single shipment, but please be aware that a buyer may be automatically charged for shipping costs for each individual item when payments are processed. In these situations, you can send buyers a refund for any excess shipping charges if you offer combined shipping discounts. In the meantime, we are actively working on solutions that reduce the likelihood of this occurring."

eBay has been working on reducing the number of unpaid sales. Requiring payment method before making offers has been great for sellers (too often a buyer would make an offer, get it accepted, and then the item gets stuck in "awaiting payment" limbo). Looks like they're trying to similarly reduce unpaid auction sales too, but it does raise some complications in certain situations, as other forum members have mentioned prior.

Thank you.
    From what I read here, it would be up to the seller to reimburse the overcharges occurring in the discounted shipping rates.
    OK
    In regards to notifying the seller that they have an hour to make adjustments on how they want to pay; credit card or PayPal.
    This is not an option to delay payment for days so you can participate in a sellers other auctions.
    What happens when eBay gets hacked and then PayPal?
    The ball is now in my court.
    Wayne

Hell yeah! I demand the right to approve every charge, because sooner or later somebody is going to pull off a mega-hack that steals so much money that PayPal will not be able to reimburse the victims.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

This Ebay algorithm may discourage shill bidding also...

• bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:

Order date:
    Jul 15, 2024

Track package

Mon, Jul 15
    PEORIA, AZ 85383

Mon, Jul 15
    PEORIA, AZ 85383
    Mon, Jul 15
    Tracking number provided

Wayne

Ebay still requires that the item arrive within a certain amount of time to maintain top rated status. One of two things needs to happen. Label has to be printed and marked as shipped within a certain amount of time, and the item must be delivered within eBay’s calculated shipping time. Not every package gets scanned in by the local PO within the designated handling time.
    Not saying that some sellers don’t print label then wait, but their Top Rated status could still be dinged for not shipping in time.
    I’m happy my local PO has a scanner for drop offs, so I can scan my own packages when I put them in the bin.

• ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:

Order date:
    Jul 15, 2024

Track package

Mon, Jul 15
    PEORIA, AZ 85383

Mon, Jul 15
    PEORIA, AZ 85383
    Mon, Jul 15
    Tracking number provided

Wayne

FYI, the package was picked up around noon yesterday but tracking isn't showing it. I'm surprised they haven't scanned it yet. So that's another possibility why it seems like it takes a while to appear to be shipped.

@bigjpst said:

@WAYNEAS said:

Order date:
    Jul 15, 2024

Track package

Mon, Jul 15
    PEORIA, AZ 85383

Mon, Jul 15
    PEORIA, AZ 85383
    Mon, Jul 15
    Tracking number provided

Wayne

Ebay still requires that the item arrive within a certain amount of time to maintain top rated status. One of two things needs to happen. Label has to be printed and marked as shipped within a certain amount of time, and the item must be delivered within eBay’s calculated shipping time. Not every package gets scanned in by the local PO within the designated handling time.
    Not saying that some sellers don’t print label then wait, but their Top Rated status could still be dinged for not shipping in time.
    I’m happy my local PO has a scanner for drop offs, so I can scan my own packages when I put them in the bin.

Explained very well.

edited July 16, 2024 8:25AM

@bigipst
    Thanks for the additional information.
    It makes sense to me now on how Top Rated Status is maintained.
    I guess that the major part of my purchases have not been from Top Rated sellers. Lol
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

And another thing........

I have multiple credit cards, one billed to my P.O. Box for certain purchases that I want shipped to the P.O. Box so that the billing address matches the shipping address. I use this card for my Paypal purchases.

A different credit card has quarterly deals where they pay back 5% on certain items instead of the usual 1%. For example, this quarter they are paying 5% back on gasoline, so I be sure to use that card at the pump. Last year I had to buy a new mobility scooter using Paypal, but because my rewards card had a deal that quarter that would apply to it I stopped at checkout and changed my Paypal credit card to that other card for the extra reward.

If I ever buy an 1804 Silver Dollar on eBay, I might want to change my credit card at checkout instead of it just automatically going through!

TD

I guess the next time I go to place a best offer on a coin and it wants me to select a payment option I will then stop and contact the seller and ask him to change the setting, if he doesn't want to I'll tell them that I would no longer be interested in the item
    I'll just move along to the next seller

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 660 ✭✭✭✭✭

This topic was previously discussed a few months back. Ebay, in its infinite genius 🙄 decided to implement a program where some buyers are demanded to have an automatic payment method on file to even bid. Not just BIN’s. There is no clear answer from eBay as to why this happens to certain people and it does not necessarily indicate a buyer/bidder has a history of NPB.

I was dragged into this crap even though I’ve NEVER backed out on a payment and I’ve always paid promptly. The month they hit me I had previously purchased over a dozen coins with zero issues. They oh so generously give you an hour after an auction to switch your payment method.

It’s a ridiculous policy and it cancels the ability to combine shipping. Fortunately for me, and not so much for eBay, the aggravation over this policy forced me to reevaluate my purchasing methods and to look back into purely numismatic auction sites.

And it’s been a fantastic change! 90% of my business now goes through Great Collections and I’ve gotten some great material from them. There’s rarely a Sunday that goes by where I don’t find something I need on my list. Heritage and some other sites make up about 8%. eBay maybe gets 2% now. I used to check for updates to my saved searches about 3-4 times a day. Now I go days on end without checking. I could almost care less.

So, thanks eBay for waking me from my lazy monotony and forcing me to open my eyes again! May you and all your counterfeit coin sellers all rot in H-E- double hockey sticks!

ps-
    Sorry for the long rant but this is just one of those things that has driven me nuts this year. First world problems I guess 🤷‍♂️

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

@Jacques_Loungecoque
    Thanks for taking the time to address this issue, I'm in complete agreement with you.
    I just hope that when I find a coin on ebay that the seller has a website that I can go to to maybe purchase the item, if not then I will proceed like I said in my post above.

I will notify the seller that eBay is blocking buyers from bidding on their items and then move on.
    When something like this happens, I take it as a sign that this wasn’t meant to be. I don’t need the aggravation. Bidding is supposed to be a skill set and not a chore.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file