Home U.S. Coin Forum

CRHer700’s Summer FUN Show Report

CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

First of all, let me tell you, this is only the second show that I have ever been to. I drove down to Orlando on Thursday, and of all things got lost. :| I probably went around the building five times before I found the parking lot. Finally got in, but then had to walk around the whole building on the inside. I walked into the show, and had the pleasure to meet my first fellow forum member, @DeplorableDan . He then had the pleasure of selling me my first gold coin, an 1881 eagle. I must recommend him to anyone who seeks out gold coins to buy. I wandered around the floor for the next six hours having a blast. I had a few coins in mind to buy other than the eagle, and found most of them. These included the 1921 peace dollar and the 1925 Stone Mountain commemorative half (I have actually been to Stone Mountain before), as well as the 1877-CC quarter and half. These are listed first below. I spent the rest of my time there searching through various bins and boxes of coins searching for deals, and I bought a lot of the coins in two by twos for half off the listed price. I found one dealer selling silver washingtons for melt, so I went through his bucket looking for goodies. Lo and behold I found both the 1932-D and S and bought both for $5.64 each. I also found AG 1916 and 1916-D walkers that I bought for my low grade walker set for only $11.50 apiece. Near the end I also picked up three 1945 dos pesos gold Mexican coins, bringing my gold coin total up to four.

The show was pretty busy, and many of the dealers didn't want me taking up their time when they had much larger purchases lined up. One even bluntly told me that I was not allowed to search through his junk silver and that I couldn't buy less than a roll. To bad, since I could see an AG 1923 quarter on the top of the pile. Generally it seemed like most dealers didn't go through their coins, but they don't want you to either. There were a few nice ones though.

I had an amazing day, and it would have been perfect if not for some specific rude dealers and the murderous Orlando traffic. Enjoy the pictures below!

Not pictured is an 1816 British shilling. Since it was so dark I couldn’t get a good picture.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

Comments

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just my opinion, but i think you need to be more selective in what you buy. I hope everything was very cheap.

Why did you buy an unslabbed $10 gold coin? There must have been hundreds of slabbed ones available at that show. Are you putting together an album based type set?

All glory is fleeting.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report and photos. That was a varied group.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing your experience. I can tell you had fun. Acquiring particular coins at melt is satisfying. Gonna give anyone an acetone bath? Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was looking to assemble a BU Walking Liberty Half Dollar short set, 1941-7, all raw. I had seven coins going into the show. I found all but one, although two of them are certified. I’ll be doing my first crack-outs in over 20 years.

I worked on my raw Indian Head cent in EF to AU collection at the end. I did buy an 1877 in an EF-40 holder. I won’t be cracking that one. I figured that I would have to buy the 1877 slabbed.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@CRHer700 said:

@291fifth said:
    Just my opinion, but i think you need to be more selective in what you buy. I hope everything was very cheap.

Why did you buy an unslabbed $10 gold coin? There must have been hundreds of slabbed ones available at that show. Are you putting together an album based type set?

I bought the unslabbed eagle because I trusted Dan. Everything there was very cheap, or I wouldn't have bought it. The cruddy Washingtons and the worn barbers were under melt as was the Portuguese coin. Some of them were just because I wanted them, like the CC quarter and half. The one sided 1854 quarter and the 5 franc were also for melt price, and the walkers were just above.
    Probably my worst deal was the proof Franklin, as it is extremely ugly and was $25.

When you are buying "melt-type" foreign silver coins make sure you are paying far under melt for them. The silver buyers want 90% fine US and heavily discount anything foreign.

You seriously overpaid for the 1961 Franklin Half.

All glory is fleeting.
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great show report and it's been a long time since anyone posted getting 1932-D and 1932-S quarters for melt price! Congratulations on your new purchases!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

@CRHer700 said:

@291fifth said:

I bought the unslabbed eagle because I trusted Dan. Everything there was very cheap, or I wouldn't have bought it. The cruddy Washingtons and the worn barbers were under melt as was the Portuguese coin. Some of them were just because I wanted them, like the CC quarter and half. The one sided 1854 quarter and the 5 franc were also for melt price, and the walkers were just above.
    Probably my worst deal was the proof Franklin, as it is extremely ugly and was $25.

When you are buying "melt-type" foreign silver coins make sure you are paying far under melt for them. The silver buyers want 90% fine US and heavily discount anything foreign.

I enjoyed myself thoroughly, and did get some good deals. I am not selling anytime soon, so it doesn't matter to me. The Franklin wasn't bought for it's silver content, just because I liked it. It actually has some interesting toning on it, my pictures don't show toning well.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

@CRHer700 said:

@291fifth said:

@CRHer700 said:

@291fifth said:

I enjoyed myself thoroughly, and did get some good deals. I am not selling anytime soon, so it doesn't matter to me. The Franklin wasn't bought for it's silver content, just because I liked it. It actually has some interesting toning on it, my pictures don't show toning well.

You are free to spend money on whatever pleases you.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2024 7:21AM

@GotTheBug said:
    A '32-D & '32-S for melt is quite the find!

Agreed - great score!

And thanks for posting your report, and glad that you had a good time.

I had no issues at all with the traffic coming or going, but I also avoid I-4 at ALL costs, and minimize how much I have to travel on International Drive.
    Assuming you will be returning for the Winter show, I recommend visiting the FUN show website beforehand, and printing out the pdf version of the hall and location relative to which concourse it's being held in (it changes for almost every show). Then using that, plan out which parking lot and the best entrance and road to use to reach that lot - it's not always International drive.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
    edited July 15, 2024 7:30AM

@Walkerguy21D said:

@GotTheBug said:
    A '32-D & '32-S for melt is quite the find!

Agreed - great score!

And thanks for posting your report, and glad that you had a good time.

I had no issues at all with the traffic coming or going, but I also avoid I-4 at ALL costs, and minimize how much I have to travel on International Drive.
    Assuming you will be returning for the Winter show, I recommend visiting the FUN show website beforehand, and printing out the pdf version of the hall and location relative to which concourse it's being held in (it changes for almost every show). Then using that, plan out which parking lot and the best entrance and road to use to reach that lot - it's not always International drive.

I always avoid the turnpike and other toll roads, so I come into Orlando from the west on 50, then turn south to get to International drive. 50 is a beast during dinner traffic, and it takes like an hour just to get to 27 from the show. On the way in it is much easier.

I learned that it is not always in the same concourse the hard way, since I remembered parking at the North concourse for the winter show, but this one was in the west, so I just couldn't find the right parking area. Now I know.

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome summer FUN report.

Love your pick ups, and the 32-D and S quarters are absolutely wild. That’s crazy for a junk box find. I’m sure the dealer bought a large circulated bag of quarters and just never had time to sort through them. Well done!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

@Dave99B said:

Love your pick ups, and the 32-D and S quarters are absolutely wild. That’s crazy for a junk box find. I’m sure the dealer bought a large circulated bag of quarters and just never had time to sort through them. Well done!

Dave

The 32-D & S were probably in a Whitman folder which was emptied out by heirs of a deceased collector. The heirs then quickly sold the coins for silver value, not caring in the least about what the collection contained.

All glory is fleeting.
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice show report and congrats on all your pickups.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)

@Dave99B said:

Dave

He said that he had bought the bag at $15 an ounce silver, and was selling it at melt now. He had a bag of flat SLQs and a bag of mercs and Rosies as well, but he had to go somewhere else, so I didn't get to go through them. That is my biggest regret from the show.

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Traffic on Thursday in Orlando was definitely not murderous. Even with the morning rain it was somewhat lighter than normal. It gets a hell of a lot worse than what you drove through.

@1madman said:
    Traffic on Thursday in Orlando was definitely not murderous. Even with the morning rain it was somewhat lighter than normal. It gets a hell of a lot worse than what you drove through.

I cruised right through in the morning, it was getting back that was difficult. Also, I live out in the country, so "murderous" traffic to me might mean something else to someone else. It is better than Nashville, but certainly isn't near as bad as Atlanta though.

• NorthStarNorthStar Posts: 50 ✭✭

As most have already said, how can you go wrong with the 32-s & d quarters for melt. I like your Stone Mountain half. I always thought completing a circulated classic half collection would be neat! Has anyone on the boards done that?

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice assortment. Reminds me of old days, old school, classic collecting.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

@NorthStar said:
    As most have already said, how can you go wrong with the 32-s & d quarters for melt. I like your Stone Mountain half. I always thought completing a circulated classic half collection would be neat! Has anyone on the boards done that?

In the winter I am hoping that there will be some more cheap "junk" to sort through. I like to buy a variety of things for under or at melt price, so unsearched quarters are a great pleasure to go through.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your report.

• breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

291fifth can be a bit dour and abrupt at times but I think he generally is trying to be helpful. Also, he is a dog lover so I put that in the plus column.

As for the OP, great report. Glad you had fun! There are a few curmudgeonly dealers at big shows but don't let them discourage you. Note who they are, and you can blow right past them at the next show.

There are plenty of friendly, personable dealers who will be happy to share information and show you coins. It is important to remember they are working at the show and are somewhat on the clock. So I try not to jeopardize anyone's time too much when I walk around the bourse.
    Anyway, thanks for sharing and posting the photos. I like that Stone Mountain - nice find!

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report and great buys. As others have said, great deal on the 32d and s. Those Swiss 5F coins are a nice hunk of silver.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barbarian, that set is amazing!

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the blast white 45, the dark 46, and the 47.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

I occasionally look through dealers' 90% silver bins and pick out a few nicer items. Old-time collecting fun.
    I also pick out AU Walking Liberty halfs, AU Winged Liberty head dimes, and early-date AU Washington quarters.

I've never found a 1932-D or 1932-S quarter. But I have found a couple 1938-D half dollars and a 1921-D half dollar (nice Fine grade) in such bins.

• FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2024 3:51PM

@DeplorableDan

That coin, at melt, to a YN- you rock DD!

Peak Rarities- best newcomer award 2024! I look forward to doing business with you!

@DeplorableDan said:
    Great show report, and it was a pleasure to meet you @CRHer700! I remember my first FUN show, and it was a memory i wont soon forget. Looks like you went home with quite a bit of goodies, hopefully you make it to future shows.

I know he already explained it, but for those wondering why he bought a raw eagle from me-

-It's me, so the coin is guaranteed authentic and he could always return it if he wanted.

-When OP told me what his goal was, he wanted a quasi-investment piece which to me meant buying it at melt or close to.

-Its a nice, original AU out of an old collection i bought, it even had the old price of $300 on the flip

-He said he wanted something as old as possible, and the date fit the bill

• I bought it for melt a while back when gold was cheaper, so i was willing to pass it on at melt.

Besides that, I was simply honored to sell a YN his first gold piece at a very reasonable price, I love ushering someone into the realm of gold when possible. I normally just keep coins like this in my stack, but I think it was perfect for him and I am extremely grateful for his business and consideration.

And I am extremely thankful for your willingness to help me out!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file