Home U.S. Coin Forum

Cell phone Photography- Post a picture of a coin taken with a cell phone.

ToreyTorey Posts: 158 ✭✭✭

I am curious how many people use their cell to take coin pictures. Years ago, I hired a professional photographer to image about 200 of my toned morgan dollars. Super nice lady but the images were terrible. I then went on to purchase my own expensive camera and received a lesson in awful picture-taking myself, I was pretty peeved at that point.

I decided to try and learn this skill the best I could. I read books and watched what felt like every video on YouTube. When I went to apply my newly found knowledge, I quickly came to realize (like most do) that it wasn't about how expensive your camera was. It was ALL about the lighting, and my cell phone could do the job just fine for what I needed.

Now I can admit this image has its downfalls, definitely a little out of focus but I spent maybe 15 seconds on it (for a weekly Ebay auction).

I still have tons to learn and would take any advice or tips given.

Post your phone shots, I would love to see them!

Comments

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Torey said:

I'm seeing similar toning develop on my PCGS $1 Eagles. What's causing it?

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

IPhone XS-Max

Trade $'s
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2024 7:52AM

I take 99% of the photos that I share on this forum with an IPod 7 since I lack a nice camera or lighting setup. It takes much better pictures than any other phone I have tried.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scubafuel said:
    @MrSpud those are wonderful! Could you give us a quick forum lesson?

They rival or exceed the current TrueViews, imo…

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just taken.

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your point is well taken. Often I get a better result with my cell phone than with my SLR Camera. Here is an example from last month with a photography effort within China's Forbidden City in Beijing:

Photo taken with SLR in automatic settings mode:

Photo taken with iPhone Camera:

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    Hold on a minute, my phone ran out of film.

Just swipe it .
    Film is free someone once told me.

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud Thanks so much for that tutorial. I’m really looking forward to trying your techniques, especially using an oil drop to remove some of the glare.
    Results will follow once I’ve had time to experiment.

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file