Home U.S. Coin Forum

First time in over twenty years

epcepc Posts: 212 ✭✭✭✭

Over the past 20+ years, I've been getting a significant fraction of my coins, hundreds of them, through Heritage auctions. A first for me happened after a recent auction win: the wrong lot was delivered to me. I have contacted Heritage, and they are working to straighten things out. Hopefully it's as easy as only two lots being swapped, and not a bigger problem!

Collector of Liberty Seated Half Dimes, including die pairs and die states

Comments

• ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes! I hope they straighten that out soon.
    One mix up out of hundreds is good odds. I’ll bet they sort it out for you.

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had that happen once. I had the better coin, so no angst. Straightened out in a few days. The other party was highly motivated.

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

PS I live in Dallas so that speeded things up a bit.

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@epc said:
    Over the past 20+ years, I've been getting a significant fraction of my coins, hundreds of them, through Heritage auctions. A first for me happened after a recent auction win: the wrong lot was delivered to me. I have contacted Heritage, and they are working to straighten things out. Hopefully it's as easy as only two lots being swapped, and not a bigger problem!

What was it you got?

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• epcepc Posts: 212 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in the situation of having the better coin, if I assume a straight swap of just two coins. In that case, what I received cost another customer more than 4x what I paid. So, the "other party was highly motivated" angle hopefully is in play. I want the coin I paid for, and already have a nicer example of the one I received.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

It happened to me about 20 years ago.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clickbait title! Would be courteous to include Heritage as a reference so that readers could decide whether to open the thread.

Surely, your Heritage issue can be resolved amicably. Best wishes.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • JimWJimW Posts: 557 ✭✭✭✭

Probably, as HA could ban someone. But a recent ebay situation, the person who got the incorrect coin that was higher valued has been unresponsive to the seller about getting it rectified. Luckily a low $ deal so no big loss, but that may not always be true.

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown, ElmerFusterpuck

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭✭✭

One time I received notification from Heritage that I won a lot in an auction I never bid on! That was weird, but an email straightened it out quickly.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭✭

Happened to me a few years ago. Contacted Heritage, they sent me a label to return the coin, two or three weeks later I got the coin I won.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a well-known dealer ship me a coin a few years ago that I had not ordered. I liked the coin and was tempted to say I will take it.

I emailed him and he called immediately and apologized. Said it was supposed to go to another client who happens to have the same first name as me!

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

@epc said:

Maybe, they'll be like Amazon?
    You get to keep them!
    😆
    No, all kidding aside.
    Hope all gets resolved?
    :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2024 3:22PM

It thought that you were going to respond: "First time in over twenty years"

"I found a coin on Ebay that was not grossly overpriced". :)

I have had the wrong coin sent to me before (Early copper) and it was so nice, I hated to return it for the coin that was supposed to be sent.

• It has happened once to me in over 20 years.

James at EarlyUS.com

On the web: http://www.earlyus.com
  • Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only two issues with HA over the decades. Once I won a big honking European gold piece, Hungarian I believe, at an amazing price. A week later I was notified there was an issue and my bids didn’t register and it went to the under bidder. What a score that dude must’ve gotten.

The second time I was told to pay for an MS64 Hudson I never bid on. Didn’t even know there was an auction that day, let alone that month. That was sorted no problem.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once I won a lot at American Numismatic Rarities. I won it with a mail bid. A floor bidder matched it, and the coin accidentally went to the floor bidder. I pointed out that since I had the first bid on that coin for that amount, the coin was mine. They asked the person to whom they mistakenly shipped the coin to return it, and the asqueroso refused.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."

Update, in case anyone reads threads that are getting a little old... What is supposed to be the correct coin is waiting at my front door.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

@epc said:
    Update, in case anyone reads threads that are getting a little old... What is supposed to be the correct coin is waiting at my front door.

pics? hope it turns out for you like it should be. +++

@davewesen said:
    pics? hope it turns out for you like it should be. +++

Well, I was trying to avoid that. I realized after the initial post that this is the wrong forum, in that the coin in question is a 2000 Iceland Leif Ericsson silver commem, NGC PF70UC. But, in principle, it could have been a U.S. coin... The one I received by mistake and sent back is another Iceland commem, but gold 1974 First Settlement (1000 years prior).

• raysrays Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had it happen a couple of times over the last 30 years. Both times easily remedied by the auction house.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file