Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's rather easy if you have a search preference
    I just go to the main page, click on U.S.Coins and scroll down and click on PCGS and then CAC
    :)

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

1836 Classic Head Half Eagle. HM-6. Rarity-3. AU-53 (PCGS)

with no numeric denomination

it's not easy to search $10 eagle because there is no $10 and every listing has eagle in it.

why is there not a full suite of search parameters like denomination, mint, year range, etc?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    1836 Classic Head Half Eagle. HM-6. Rarity-3. AU-53 (PCGS)

with no numeric denomination

it's not easy to search $10 eagle because there is no $10 and every listing has eagle in it.

why is there not a full suite of search parameters like denomination, mint, year range, etc?

There is!
    Go to home page, go to US Coins and click
    All the lists come up on the left side of the page

• HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I used to hate navigating the Stacks site, but because of all these Fairmont sales, I’ve got pretty damn good.😂
    Quickly scanned the DEs. Grades seem to be trending lower than past sales. I didn’t see anything that I absolutely have to have.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fairmont is the gift that keeps on giving.

• GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2024 11:31PM

Man, this Fairmont Hoard is massive. Tens of thousands of coins at least...maybe hundreds of thousands !!! :o

• fathomfathom Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are 240 lots. That is less than 3 pages with it set at 96 per page.

Actually no, apparently Stacks Bowers is adding lots to the sale.

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fathom said:

?

I still see 240.

@Project Numismatics said:

@fathom said:

?

I still see 240.

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fathom said:

@Project Numismatics said:

@fathom said:

?

I still see 240.

Nice!

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that screen before.

Maybe I’m in the minority, but I’m happy to see more Fairmont. Hopefully more southern gold.

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rays said:
    I took a look at that linked auction. It is incredible to me that Stacks still has the most incredibly difficult to navigate auction site. They could take some lessons from Great Collections and Heritage.

You could make the same statement about their photography as well, pitiful.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• tcollectstcollects Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

remember the thrilling days of yesteryear when our host's pics were great and our biggest numismatic gripe was the Stack's website?

Still 240 lots.

I can navigate the site OK there is room for improvement but that applies to all sites in this market.

I like the way they do business.

This is probably the largest hoard ever, certainly in recent decades.

@GoldFinger1969 said:

And we have no idea how many more coins are in the hoard.

• RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭✭

400k coins are some estimates...
    Just keeps going. I abhor the secrecy but c'est la vie.

@skier07 said:

Again, Doug Winter's blog at his website has some great commentary plus a Guest Analysis where someone estimates all the coins that comprise the Fairmont Hoard. Another good analysis on the price impact of all that supply, too.

DW’s blog is very good but nobody except for a few big shots at SB knows exactly what remains in the hoard and how many more coins there are so everything is speculation.

edited July 20, 2024 12:44PM

We do know the sales are progressively smaller with fewer key dates.

@skier07 said:
    DW’s blog is very good but nobody except for a few big shots at SB knows exactly what remains in the hoard and >how many more coins there are so everything is speculation.

Understood...but since the Big Shots @ SB are NOT talking, the in-depth analysis from DW's blog is the best we've got.

Well-worth reading, IMO.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:

@GoldFinger1969 said:

Or even if it is a single hoard.

@jmlanzaf said:

Yup....big incentive for marketing purposes (as well as ease of sales) to put a bunch of smaller, differentiated, non-related hoards together and market it under the biggest name you are going with.

I didn't realize until recently that decades ago...when famous collector's collections were sold off....that you would have other coins mingled with them to make it easier to sell them.

And in a few cases, the actual sale by so-and-so was really maybe 10% of the total coins, and his name was there just for marketing (think Michael Jordan's Steakhouse :D ).

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Yup....big incentive for marketing purposes (as well as ease of sales) to put a bunch of smaller, differentiated, non-related hoards together and market it under the biggest name you are going with.

I didn't realize until recently that decades ago...when famous collector's collections were sold off....that you would have other coins mingled with them to make it easier to sell them.

And in a few cases, the actual sale by so-and-so was really maybe 10% of the total coins, and his name was there just for marketing (think Michael Jordan's Steakhouse :D ).

This is still done! Less often in US coins but fairly frequently with World material.

• GACGAC Posts: 17 ✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

@rays said:
    I took a look at that linked auction. It is incredible to me that Stacks still has the most incredibly difficult to navigate auction site. They could take some lessons from Great Collections and Heritage.

You could make the same statement about their photography as well, pitiful.

What about their photography do you dislike? I thought they had one of the better imaging departments.

I didn’t know about the ‘mingling’ of different coins within a collection, to sell.
    >
    That would make sense because I have ran into a few coins within the Fairmont hoard that had been cleaned or slightly messed with and not up to the general standards that I have come to expect within the overall hoard.

Agree DD about the photos!
    The last couple or so auctions has had some pretty rugged looking slab shots. About as bad as I’ve seen!
    >
    Bad or not, it sure hasn’t affected the price, at least for anything I’ve been interested in!😉😂

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file