Home U.S. Coin Forum

A Democratic Party Hard Times Token

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 9, 2024 8:58AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here is an example HTT - 24, Low - 60 and DeWhitt CE 1838-18. It is slightly scarce. It's one of those pieces you will now and then but not a regular basis.

DeWitt makes the statement that this is "a Pro-Democrat" token, but if it is, the message is mild. The cow on the obverse would coincide with the Democratic Party agrarian base, but ships are usually associated with the Whig Party, unless they are on the rocks, of course.

Would anyone care to commit?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bill - I'm fascinated by the water - are they waves or fish?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    Bill - I'm fascinated by the water - are they waves or fish?

I am quite sure that those are waves. Similar images appear on other Hard Times Tokens.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Pro-Democratic Party Hard Times Tokens are harder to find that the Whig satire pieces, which are plentiful.

Here's one that appeals to the Van Buren / Jackson agricultural base. This one is rare. I bought from the late Joe Levine. I think that it is a bit of a "cull" because it's been gilded,.

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bill, this is a tougher variety, R-4, I believe. I have one in an NGC 53 holder, but it is a bit over-graded as I would call it a nice XF. Yours looks slightly better. And these days, I'm ok with "mild" And I am especially ok with the "A Friend to the Constitution" motif. Thanks for posting!

Tom

@TPRC said:
    Bill, this is a tougher variety, R-4, I believe. I have one in an NGC 53 holder, but it is a bit over-graded as I would call it a nice XF. Yours looks slightly better. And these days, I'm ok with "mild" And I am especially ok with the "A Friend to the Constitution" motif. Thanks for posting!

I bought this one raw many years ago from the late Steve Tannenbaum. Steve had an incredible amount of material that he brought to the shows. He had a heck of a lot more that he didn't bring to the shows. This was one of the few examples of this token that I saw in his inventory.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    So many ways this could go.😆

Hopefully before it “goes” anywhere, posters will keep this in mind:

The Democratic Party was founded in 1828 while the Republican Party dates back to 1854. In its early years, the Republican Party was considered quite liberal, while the Democrats were known for staunch conservatism. This is the exact opposite of how each party would be described today.

Exactly. Each was founded in the 19th Century and changed sides in the 20th Century. This is the 21st Century. Collect these as historical pieces, not current political tokens z

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
This discussion has been closed.