Home U.S. Coin Forum

NEWP CAC RESULTS IN. To Finish My 20th Century Type Set. Any Thoughts On The Coin.

WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 10, 2024 5:19PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I just bought this Franklin to finish my 20th century . Luster is really good and it seems only to have 1 mark in the left obverse field. Definitely keeping this one to send off to CAC along with the Washington Quarter. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this coin.

![](https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/a1/lygn5dozs
n79.jpeg "")

Comments

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

No one can really know. You'll have to send it in to find out,.

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that it will.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

• WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2024 6:04PM

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    30 day returns.

No worries this one isn’t going back as it is outstanding for the grade. Flashy clean 👁️ appealing coin. Deserves a 66 grade or gold sticker in my humble opinion

edited June 30, 2024 10:08AM

@MFeld said:
    What’s your reason for asking? Aren’t you going to submit the coin to CAC, regardless of what anyone thinks?

Actually I redid my thread title as I am really more interested in getting feedback on what forum members think of the coins quality and eye appeal. I am very confident the coin will sticker at CAC not worried at all. I think the coin would regrade 65+ or a 66 at the CAC C level

@Walkerlover said:
    No worries this one isn’t going back as it is outstanding for the grade. Flashy clean 👁️ appealing coin. Deserves a 66 grade or gold sticker in my humble opinion

It's not ever close to 66. It's barely a 65, if that.

edited June 30, 2024 11:04AM

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Walkerlover said:

I surely don’t agree. You are way off. Sending to CAC today. Would you like to make a wager? Money to go to a coin club or something like that

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerlover said:

@MFeld said:
    What’s your reason for asking? Aren’t you going to submit the coin to CAC, regardless of what anyone thinks?

Actually I redid my thread title as I am really more interested in getting feedback on what forum members think of the coins quality and eye appeal. I am very confident the coin will sticker at CAC not worried at all. I think the coin would regrade 65+ or a 66 at the CAC C level

Portions of each side are over lit, so there could be additional flaws which aren’t apparent. That aside, I think the obverse scratches in the area of GOD would limit the grade to MS65.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@MFeld said:

@Walkerlover said:

@MFeld said:

Portions of each side are over lit, so there could be additional flaws which aren’t apparent. That aside, I think the obverse scratches in the area of GOD would limit the grade to MS65.

Doesn’t really seem noticeable in hand. What is noticeable is the light chatter mark in the left obverse field. Otherwise coin looks very clean

• tcollectstcollects Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerlover said:

@MFeld said:

@Walkerlover said:

@MFeld said:

Doesn’t really seem noticeable in hand. What is noticeable is the light chatter mark in the left obverse field. Otherwise coin looks very clean

okay you wore me down I'm convinced it will CAC

@Walkerlover said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Walkerlover said:

I surely don’t agree. You are way off. Sending to CAC today. Would you like to make a wager? Money to go to a coin club or something like that

Don’t be so defensive. You asked for feedback “on what forum members think of the coins quality and eye appeal” and he provided it.
    If you only want to hear positive comments, let people know that in advance.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

edited June 30, 2024 12:17PM

@MFeld said:

@Walkerlover said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Walkerlover said:

Don’t be so defensive. You asked for feedback “on what forum members think of the coins quality and eye appeal” and he provided it.

That’s fine I want honest opinions but when Manifest Destiny trashes my coin with a rediculous statement that the coin is barely a 65 I have to correct him. He always is against me on this forum no matter what I say.

And he should make a wager if he is so smart. I challenged him but he is afraid to accept

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Walkerlover said:

@tcollects said:

@Walkerlover said:

@MFeld said:

@Walkerlover said:

@MFeld said:

I am not trying to wear anyone down. I am stating as the one seeing the coin in hand that it is a easy green sticker, and if doesn’t sticker I will NEVER buy a coin without a CAC sticker again period

Again $25 wager coin passes. Money to go to Mark Feld for a coin charity. Afraid 😱?

edited June 30, 2024 12:40PM

@Walkerlover said:

@MFeld said:

@Walkerlover said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Walkerlover said:

That’s fine I want honest opinions but when Manifest Destiny trashes my coin with a rediculous statement that the coin is barely a 65 I have to correct him. He always is against me on this forum no matter what I say.

And he should make a wager if he is so smart. I challenged him but he is afraid to accept

He didn’t say anything about how smart he is. And in case you’ve forgotten, he and the rest of us are making assessments based on images. So it would be foolish to bet on a grading outcome.
    As I suggested before, don’t be so defensive. When you act like that, you discourage honest, objective feedback. But maybe you don’t really want that.

Edited to add: My stated opinion of the coin wasn’t very different from his.
    I wrote “Portions of each side are over lit, so there could be additional flaws which aren’t apparent. That aside, I think the obverse scratches in the area of GOD would limit the grade to MS65.”
    So I guess I trashed your coin too, with a ridiculous statement that I thought the grade was limited to MS65.

edited June 30, 2024 12:52PM

@MFeld said:

@Walkerlover said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Walkerlover said:

Thank you Mr. Feld for pointing out the mark over god. I just learned a EXTREMELY IMPORTANT lesson. The mark is basically almost invisible to the eye, faint blending in with the coin.

But the camera for some reason picks up the mark making something so faint and tiny looking so much bigger. It’s a crazy phenomena what a camera image can do as opposed to the real in hand look

For the record he said barely might make 65 not what you said exactly

So I guess you really can’t grade from photos. A camera can magnify the heck out of a contact mark

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Walkerlover said:

@MFeld said:

@Walkerlover said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Walkerlover said:

He didn’t say anything about how smart he is. And in case you’ve forgotten, he and the rest of us are making assessments based on images. So it would be foolish to bet on a grading outcome.

Hey! What are you saying?

😉

@Walkerlover said:
    So I guess you really can’t grade from photos. A camera can magnify the heck out of a contact mark

I could have sworn that you bought coins, posted them here and returned them because their appearance differed from their on-line images. But even if I’m mistaken, you should have known long ago, that even good quality images can make coins look better or worse than they do in-hand.

@Walkerlover said:

@MFeld said:

@Walkerlover said:

@MFeld said:

Do you even have it in hand? It sold on the 26th and your pics are just screen shots from the ebay auction.

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think it would CAC. Even if it does, what do you gain from it? It's just a common date coin in a common grade for the date, and it won't gain much of a premium over a non-CAC example. Why even start these threads if you aren't going to hear only what you want? If the coin is appealing to you, that's all that should matter.

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ebay photos are way over lit and appear to have two different light intensities being used, this can make a coin look way better than it really is. However, my honest thought from those ebay photos is that the coin might sticker but I see no chance of a numerical upgrade or gold sticker.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Walkerlover said:

@MFeld said:

@Walkerlover said:

@MFeld said:

Do you even have it in hand? It sold on the 26th and your pics are just screen shots from the ebay auction.

Yes of course it was sent priority

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

and Frankie has a head wound

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@MsMorrisine said:
    and Frankie has a head wound

Ouch

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerlover said:

@MFeld said:

@Walkerlover said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Walkerlover said:

And he should make a wager if he is smart. I challenged him but he is afraid to accept

Afraid? Like when a person is afraid to purchase any coin without posting it to the Forum for second opinions? That kind of afraid? Or the kind of afraid when they return a coin to the seller every time they think it might not CAC? :D

@Walkerlover said:

@tcollects said:

@Walkerlover said:

@MFeld said:

@Walkerlover said:

@MFeld said:

I am not trying to wear anyone down. I am stating as the one seeing the coin in hand that it is a easy green sticker, and if doesn’t sticker I will NEVER buy a coin without a CAC sticker again period

So you only need ONE more CAC coin for your set...so if this one doesn't CAC, you promise to buy ONE coin with a CAC sticker?? That's not much of a wager, even if you did keep your promise. :D

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@tcollects said:

@Walkerlover said:

@MFeld said:

@Walkerlover said:

@MFeld said:

So you only need ONE more CAC coin for your set...so if this one doesn't CAC, you promise to buy ONE coin with a CAC sticker?? That's not much of a wager, even if you did keep your promise. :D

Absolutely that’s how confident I am. Actually it’s 2 coins if you refer to my post on the Washington Quarter. Both are being sent tomorrow to CAC.

What you are forgetting is there is valuable information to be learned from this submission and others to CAC at a cost of only $16 per coin. This will sharpen my skills as to the amount of contact marks allowed for certain grade levels. Well worth the price of admission.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerlover said:
    What you are forgetting is there is valuable information to be learned from this submission and others to CAC at a cost of only $16 per coin. This will sharpen my skills as to the amount of contact marks allowed for certain grade levels. Well worth the price of admission.

Contact marks are only a part of the total equation.
    For example, a lackluster Franklin with next to no contact marks may well not receive a CAC while a blazer
    with a few more contact marks may receive the bean.

Truly, the information you are seeking isn't accurately available with the plan you have formulated.

peacockcoins

@Walkerlover said:

But you were too afraid to take the $16 risk until you got to the very last coin in your set. :D

@Walkerlover said:

It’s about a lot more than the number of contact marks. It also depends on the size and location of the marks, how conspicuous and distracting they are, as well as other unique, relevant grading aspects of each coin.

• NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2024 5:53PM

@Walkerlover said:

@Walkerlover we have been here so many times. I hate to tell you this, but pretty much everyone is not going to answer honestly here because they figure if they do, you will just return the coin.

Look, you MUST try a bit better to rebuild some reputation here. Again, you VERY much know why you are getting these responses. Trust takes a long time to build, but only seconds to be taken away.

I see some marks on this coin that I would basically say no chance to CAC. Frankly the two you purchased before look like they had a better chance, but you returned those.

With that said, I’ve always mentioned why not find a CAC graded coin anyway. The last time I mentioned this, you mentioned it was $95 versus $63, but your cost would be about the same if you shipped it and paid for sticker. You also mentioned that the photo I shared was “slightly out of focus”. But why would that matter if you are so sure JA and CAC are all you need, who would care what the photo was like, as it would be what you are looking for.

Again, this is only hurting your reputation and I think you are seeing that people are kind of starting to not give any credit to these types of posts from you (which is every post you make). I think it would be best for you now to try ti do some research and explain to US why you think something will CAC versus asking us from a picture that is overexposed and hiding problems if it will CAC. You said your percentage is very high, time to either learn or teach us!

Edited to add+spelling: just to keep with your question, the cut on the forehead looks very deep to me, so much so I see a different color in the shadow of the cut. Of course none of us have the coin in hand, but I truly cannot see this one getting a sticker. And there are literally thousands already stickered which may be a better option for you at this point.

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana

@Walkerlover said:

If you want to know how contact marks, their number, and their placement affect a coin's grade, as well as luster, PCGS Photograde is a helpful resource. But I would not say that those are the only factors that are considered at CAC.

Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

@NewEnglandRarities said:

@Walkerlover said:

@Walkerlover we have been here so many times. I hate to tell you this, but pretty much everyone is not going to answer honestly here because they figure if they do, you will just return the coin.

Look, you MUST try a bit better to rebuild some reputation here. Again, you VERY much know why you are getting these responses. Trust takes a long time to build, but only seconds to be taken away.

I see some marks on this coin that I would basically say no chance to CAC. Frankly the two you purchased before look like they had a better chance, but you returned those.

With that said, I’ve always mentioned why not find a CAC graded coin anyway. The last time I mentioned this, you mentioned it was $95 versus $63, but your cost would be about the same if you shipped it and paid for sticker. You also mentioned that the photo I shared was “slightly out of focus”. But why would that matter if you are so sure JA and CAC are all you need, who would care what the photo was like, as it would be what you are looking for.

Again, this is only hurting your reputation and I think you are seeing that people are kind of starting to not give any credit to these types of posts from you (which is every post you make). I think it would be best for you now to try ti do some research and explain to US why you think something will CAC versus asking us from a picture that is overexposed and hiding problems if it will CAC. You said your percentage is very high, time to either learn or teach us!

Edited to add+spelling: just to keep with your question, the cut on the forehead looks very deep to me, so much so I see a different color in the shadow of the cut. Of course none of us have the coin in hand, but I truly cannot see this one getting a sticker. And there are literally thousands already stickered which may be a better option for you at this point.

@Walkerlover said:

I appreciate all your advice which is well meant. I have committed to buying the Washington Quarter and this Franklin half regardless of CAC results. But I do mean it that if this coin fails I will not buy a non stickered coin again. I am staking my reputation and putting it on the line here for you all. I will update results soon, stay tuned

no way it goes gold

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@MsMorrisine said:
    no way it goes gold

You agree on green?

gold means, as one criteria, it's under-graded.

it's not a 66

i can't comment or green or not

@Walkerlover said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    no way it goes gold

You agree on green?

No

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Walkerlover said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    no way it goes gold

You agree on green?

No

If this was a guess the grade you all would be guessing 65 or 65+. No way 64.

a green sticker on a 65 doesn't mean "it's not a 64." just because someone says it won't sticker, that doesn't mean they think it's a 64.

had this been a guess the grade you likely would have heard 65s

with the given photos you had people saying it wasn't a 66. you were saying there were only a few marks and saying it'll gold bean as a 66. then you post a new photo and 1) prove the respondents right, and 2) make me wonder what's really going on because you didn't even mention the head wound when you were downplaying everything people were saying is wrong with the coin

i really wonder if you're an alt of "realone" who also bore such amount of grading angst.

@Walkerlover said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Walkerlover said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    no way it goes gold

You agree on green?

No

If this was a guess the grade you all would be guessing 65 or 65+. No way 64.

There is a difference between agreeing with the assigned grade and approving a coin as "solid" or "high-end" for the grade. Even aptly graded coins can, and often do, fail to sticker.

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Walkerlover said:

It’s about a lot more than the number of contact marks. It also depends on the size and location of the marks, how conspicuous and distracting they are, as well as other unique, relevant grading aspects of each coin.

So does that mean a big hit that sticks out like a sore thumb right in the middle of a detail-less head might carry more weight than not one but TWO contact marks in an inconspicuous area?

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
    edited July 1, 2024 6:57PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    a green sticker on a 65 doesn't mean "it's not a 64." just because someone says it won't sticker, that doesn't mean they think it's a 64.

had this been a guess the grade you likely would have heard 65s

with the given photos you had people saying it wasn't a 66. you were saying there were only a few marks and saying it'll gold bean as a 66. then you post a new photo and 1) prove the respondents right, and 2) make me wonder what's really going on because you didn't even mention the head wound when you were downplaying everything people were saying is wrong with the coin

i really wonder if you're an alt of "realone" who also bore such amount of grading angst.

To me viewing the coin in hand the head wound is relatively small and not distracting, I am more concerned with a chatter mark in the left field a slightly longer but not too bad light fine vertical issue.

What I said really is I think there’s some CHANCE for gold or a 66 if resubmitted. Less of course for gold as it is so difficult to achieve. But I do think 66 is possible as a C coin. Has that very clean look combined with super luster. I sent the coin today to CAC and will update along with the Washington Quarter. Stay Tuned. And no I am not some Alt?

@Walkerlover said:

While perusing EBay today I saw this Franklin Half graded by CACG. And it’s not Legacy meaning it’s originally graded by them, possibly more conservatively than CAC grades in general today. I believe my coin is no worse and perhaps even better for the grade. Even the reverse looks cleaner . Care to agree or disagree Mr. New England Rarities?

• NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭

@Walkerlover said:

@Walkerlover said:

While perusing EBay today I saw this Franklin Half graded by CACG. And it’s not Legacy meaning it’s originally graded by them, possibly more conservatively than CAC grades in general today. I believe my coin is no worse and perhaps even better for the grade. Even the reverse looks cleaner . Care to agree or disagree Mr. New England Rarities?

I’m not sure what kind of answer you are looking for here. I mean, looking at two different coins with two different photography techniques and keeping in mind CAC and CACG are two different companies I really don’t know what you are asking me to agree/disagree with. I stated that nobody can know, look at the two images of your coin that are quite different. How can someone be expected to know. I mentioned before that people are suspect of your asking if something will CAC, not because of you personally, but because of prior history that you’ve been told time and time again. It seems like some may be attacking you, but that is just because of your actions on other coins, not necessarily the coins you are choosing.

I think honestly many of us don’t really understand what exactly you are trying to accomplish. Again, if the goal is to have a type set of federal coins graded by PCGS and then pass CAC sticker, I will once again suggest that should be your primary search. Time is valuable, so the cost of sending in/time to package/returns/etc you would probably have a lower cost and especially more time to use on other numismatic pursuits if you just searched out what you are looking for from the beginning. Just my two cents.

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file