Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Sharing info from PCGS customer service call

ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple regular submissions that have exceeded the 40 day estimated total turn around so I called in the event there was an order issue.

There was no order issue , but they let me know they only consider orders late at 15 business days beyond the estimation and only then will act to expedite them.

In case this isn’t common knowledge I figured I’d pass the info along.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.

Comments

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. I have a regular order that has been sitting in "received" since 5/16, 1 month and eight days so far, and I'm starting to get a little worried. I have to think they are extremely backed up for orders to be over a month before even getting to grading.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was told 6-8 weeks at Baltimore... My coins were just marked "received"... but now there's an issue with my submission. Grrrr...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2024 1:18PM

@ChrisH821 said:
    Interesting. I have a regular order that has been sitting in "received" since 5/16, 1 month and eight days so far, and I'm starting to get a little worried. I have to think they are extremely backed up for orders to be over a month before even getting to grading.

Per the call, they currently have 2.75 months (55 business days) to grade a regular submission before they feel they need to expedite it and consider it "late".

The submission I was calling on was received mid April.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

All tiers except Regular have been very fast for me. All of the "Grading" were in "Grading" status within a calendar week of being put into the system. They were put into the system 2 days after being delivered to PCGS.

• Options

@ProofCollection said:
    All tiers except Regular have been very fast for me. All of the "Grading" were in "Grading" status within a calendar week of being put into the system. They were put into the system 2 days after being delivered to PCGS.

You seem to be one of the lucky ones. You’d think it would be first in and first out based on when received in the same tier.

I have had some Regulars go through in a week while hearing others were months out for the same service. No real complaint on my end but I’m curious how some seem to get hung up while some speed through.

Note: this doesn’t include orders with issues

• Options

@Proofmorgan said:

@ProofCollection said:

You seem to be one of the lucky ones. You’d think it would be first in and first out based on when received in the same tier.

I have had some Regulars go through in a week while hearing others were months out for the same service. No real complaint on my end but I’m curious how some seem to get hung up while some speed through.

Note: this doesn’t include orders with issues

I've posted here several times that I think when they get an order there is some form of a "wheel of destiny" for which your order could get whisked through the system or fall into a black hole. I have not been able to discern a rhyme or reason. I would have expected a Regular submission to be faster than a modern value or Economy submission but time and time again Regular - even though the most expensive tier - is also the slowest.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trouble with "Grading" status is any other service must be completed first and has no terminology associated with it other than in Grading, so you never truly know when your coin is actually being graded.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

"late"

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:
    I've posted here several times that I think when they get an order there is some form of a "wheel of destiny" for which your order could get whisked through the system or fall into a black hole. I have not been able to discern a rhyme or reason. I would have expected a Regular submission to be faster than a modern value or Economy submission but time and time again Regular - even though the most expensive tier - is also the slowest.

Different queues for different caliber graders. The guys grading bust dollars and three dollar gold aren’t the ones flipping coins to pick 69 or 70 on boxes full of silver eagles.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Proofmorgan said:
    There was no order issue , but they let me know they only consider orders late at 15 business days beyond the estimation and only then will act to expedite them.

Why doesn’t pcgs change their estimated turnaround time to 55 days for regular service (40 + 15)? Wouldn’t this reduce the number of phone calls inquiring about orders, and provide a more productive work force?

The first thing that jumped into my mind when you wrote that was pcgs essentially starts chasing their tail once an order hits day 40, a flurry of activity then begins to try and scurry along that order before it hits day 55. I know this thinking is wrong, but it just seems like if better planning was executed originally when the coins arrived, the words “15 business days beyond” would never need to be spoken.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember when this was happening last time (last year?), lots of coins in white holders started showing up in my favorite dealers' cases

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everybody keeps complaining but everyone keeps sending..............
    DEAL WITH IT OR DON'T SEND ANYTHING

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barndog said:
    I remember when this was happening last time (last year?), lots of coins in white holders started showing up in my favorite dealers' cases

What's the current turnaround time for NGC and CACG?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

“Everybody” doesn’t keep complaining and “everyone” doesn’t keep sending. Some do one or both.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    TimNHTimNH Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Barndog said:

I just sent 4 coins off to NGC, spanning 3 different 'tiers'. They were amazingly fast, the coins entered the system the day after the post office showed the package arrived, and were graded and shipped within a week. Besides one little disappointment with a 'details' grade I am thrilled.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@alaura22 said:

“Everybody” doesn’t keep complaining and “everyone” doesn’t keep sending. Some do one or both.

The point I'm trying to make is, stop complaining!

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love them guys.... and Feld, too.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I called them last week because these coins were received on 4-19. Today I got an email that grades are in. Not quite parking lot finds.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:

@Proofmorgan said:

@ChrisH821 said:

Per the call, they currently have 2.75 months (55 business days) to grade a regular submission before they feel they need to expedite it and consider it "late".

By my count a submission received on 5/16 is only on business day 25, with Memorial Day and Juneteenth in there.

I finally sent in four coins with my voucher, along with an error coin, they logged everything on 6/6, I figured I'd be lucky to get everything back by Labor Day.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options

My submission moved to "grading" today. I think this post may have had some influence (though not my intent, I was just aiming to inform and set expectations for others). I did receive an unprompted PM from PCGS staff that they would work to expedite my order and apologized for the delay. Class act and I am appreciative.

As others have stated, I wonder if the coin series or any other factor plays a role in grader availability, etc that may cause delays? Or if it is simply random and there are system issues where its possible for someone to "cut the line" somehow. (Ex: A Morgan submission vs half cents vs patterns, for example) It seems that the standard is 40 business days +/- 15 business days. I just wonder what contributes to the 30 day range within the estimation and order beings being graded out of chronological receiving order.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seanq said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@Proofmorgan said:

@ChrisH821 said:

By my count a submission received on 5/16 is only on business day 25, with Memorial Day and Juneteenth in there.

I finally sent in four coins with my voucher, along with an error coin, they logged everything on 6/6, I figured I'd be lucky to get everything back by Labor Day.

Sean Reynolds

I'm not saying it's late, we have a long time before it would be considered late. I'm just stating how long it has been in received status, which is longer than I've seen in the past.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 435 ✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Barndog said:

Significantly quicker. I just sent out a sub to the Florida guys. I’m ambivalent to holder for the particular series involved and I can’t justify a three month or longer wait - easily when I factor in shipping across the country and back. My sub took one day to arrive and one day to get into the system. That’s stunningly quick.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:

@PerryHall said:

@Barndog said:

Significantly quicker. I just sent out a sub to the Florida guys. I’m ambivalent to holder for the particular series involved and I can’t justify a three month or longer wait - easily when I factor in shipping across the country and back. My sub took one day to arrive and one day to get into the system. That’s stunningly quick.

Really? At the end of last year when I sent the Florida guys some coins it would take around 3 weeks to get logged into their system. I'm guessing it helps them fudge their stats. Good to hear they're doing better now too.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW,

Express Tier is always consistent at 15 days, usually faster than that.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

i once submitted a walkthrough on mint thur release date that arrived there on friday, it didn't go out until the week after.

what am i crying about?

it was mint release date thur and no one had them in hand until then. bys aturday actual photos of actual graded coins were on ebay. i complained to pcgs but was told "maybe it was a dealer"

granted we've had this two-tier discussion on pricing, but not yet on sub times. if I can't get a walkthrough in the time on the little ol me form, then I want some type of compensation, like a voucher or something

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file