Home U.S. Coin Forum

New 1898-S $20 Gold Eagle - How do you like it?

MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a bit nervous buying gold at these levels but I saw this one and decided I just needed to have it. To ease the pain a little, I traded in 50oz of silver on the deal. I've owned that silver for years so I feel pretty good taking this one home... Plus, I needed it for my gold type set that I'm inching ever closer to finishing. I'm still too cheap to buy the dansco page so I figure I'll just go with graded pieces anyway.
Feel free to guess the grade on this one, I'm pretty happy with how the photos came out. For what it's worth, I think it's under graded.

Comments

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it as a 61/62, I wouldn't kick it out of bed but I don't love all the reed marks. At least they're not in prime focal points.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! I think the luster gets it to a 63.

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love all pre-33 gold. I’ll say 62. If it’s a Fairmont Collection coin, then I’d go 63.
    Nice addition!

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

The OP has a nice coin.

I have had this one for more than 20 years:

United States $20 1898-S

Supposedly Alaska and the Klondike supplied the gold for these coins.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll photograde it MS62

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a 60 because of the two large marks from the edges of other coins at 12:00 and 5:00 on the obverse.

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put me in as a 62 ... luster carries, marks are a little distracting

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd certainly take it home. Looks 63 to me but regardless it's the Au. A win at any grade. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2024 7:35PM

@DeplorableDan said:
    I like it as a 61/62, I wouldn't kick it out of bed but I don't love all the reed marks. At least they're not in prime focal points.

And there are numerous besides at 12 & 5 o'clock, there are additional 2 in the hair

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

63 with big reeding marks.

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RobertScotLover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

And there are numerous besides at 12 & 5 o'clock, there are additional 2 in the hair

wow i did not see the ones in the hair but now that i do i think a grade of ms60 would be even more fitting

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll guess 63. I've seen many slabbed 63's with more bag marks which seems to plague this series.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful 98's all. Not a gold collector, but have noticed gold coins should not have large photos but about half the size of the op's. Any little tic is magnified extremely with the larger photos. After all photo grading is a guess at best and the best light and size matters. lol
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to guess MS62
    Nice looking coin!

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
    Dantheman984 Toyz4geo

• jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@jfriedm56 said:
    Great luster, but the reeding hits are a little distracting. Too many for any higher than a 61. Here’s mine for comparison that I’ve owned for 30 years.

Unless the pictures are hiding something, that coin looks too nice for a 63.

What would it be hiding? What you see, is what it is. Grading standards were tighter back then. Many 64's today would grade 62 back then. Grade inflation on $20 Libs is in full swing now. I always went for high end for the grade.

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2024 4:58AM

@jfriedm56 said:
    Great luster, but the reeding hits are a little distracting. Too many for any higher than a 61. Here’s mine for comparison that I’ve owned for 30 years.!

That's a beauty!

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jfriedm56 said:

@MFeld said:

@jfriedm56 said:
    Great luster, but the reeding hits are a little distracting. Too many for any higher than a 61. Here’s mine for comparison that I’ve owned for 30 years.

What would it be hiding? What you see, is what it is. Grading standards were tighter back then. Many 64's today would grade 62 back then. Grade inflation on $20 Libs is in full swing now. I always went for high end for the grade.

Hairline scratches aren't always visible in pics unless the light hits it at the right angle.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jfriedm56 said:

@MFeld said:

@jfriedm56 said:

Flaws of various types, as images so often do. And that often occurs, despite attempts at accuracy.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@Meltdown, I was the only one to get the grade correctly? If so, my first!

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grading standards for Liberty Head $20s were simply unrealistic in the 1986-1992 time frame. I suspect the NGC 98-s in the 63 holder was likely graded 25-30 years ago. It looks quite attractive.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

@coinkat said:
    Grading standards for Liberty Head $20s were simply unrealistic in the 1986-1992 time frame. I suspect the NGC 98-s in the 63 holder was likely graded 25-30 years ago. It looks quite attractive.

If you’re talking about the coin I posted, then you are correct. I believe I’ve owned it since the early ‘90’s. I’ll have to look it up to be sure.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2024 6:47AM

@jfriedm56 I was referring to your coin- looks 64 perhaps 64+ depending on how the coin looks in hand. Wonderful coin.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Thank you @coinkat. I actually brought that coin back to the dealer I had purchased it from 30 years earlier to see if it would CAC, along with others I thought would pass and he told me NO on all. But then again he was looking through eyes from 30 years ago!

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

I decided to re-photograph the 1898-S coin that I have:

United States $20 1898-S

What grade do you think that PCGS would assign to it?

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WillieBoyd2 said:
    I decided to re-photograph the 1898-S coin that I have:

United States $20 1898-S

What grade do you think that PCGS would assign to it?

Approximately ms61.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file