Home U.S. Coin Forum

Venting on an issue ruining coins

Did a real quick board search on this topic and didn’t see much talk about it. So, I just wanted to add my disappointment in the damage I’ve seen done to coins during the counting and rolling process.

I can’t tell you how many beautiful almost flawless coins I’ve found while going through bank rolls only to find damage due to machine rolling. I don’t know much about the actual process although I can sort of perceive how it’s done.

I wish there was a better way of preserving our beautiful coins. I haven’t had any plastic rolls yet, so I can’t speak to that.

Just a rant. Sorry.

WTB: Barber Quarters XF

Comments

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is why the US mint makes billions of coins each year, to replace all the damaged coins and those that go missing each year, nothing to worry about.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • BarbercoinBarbercoin Posts: 965 ✭✭✭

It’s been years (15+) since I’ve gone through rolls and I just took notice especially on the halves. I wanted to fill a hole in my book of a lower mintage half and the one I found was scarred. After going through $300 worth of halves, it was the only one I found, so I was bummed.

Yes, every coin I use at the store is in a flip.

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hear ya. I too see brand smacking new coins so close to literally 68, or 69, but then trashed in one area or another. But like others have said, they’re for commerce. If it was easy everyone would be doing it!

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

I don’t shop much, but I can’t recall that last time I saw a half dollar used in commerce. I live in a relatively small world, so maybe it’s big somewhere else?

I do collect and save them, right from circulation. It’s a challenge to fill all the holes. I realize it’s not worth much, but to me it’s fun. Had a good time with the State Quarter series. As I find a higher grade coin, I replace it.

On rare occasions, I’ll come across a rare one, like a Buffalo 5c or a low mintage coin. That’s exciting.

Now, I have my focus elsewhere too, like my XF Barber Quarter series. They are so hard to come by, I keep myself busy going through rolls (just started again).

Thanks

@Barbercoin said:

On rare occasions, I’ll come across a rare one, like a Buffalo 5c or a low mintage coin. That’s exciting.

I’m excited, that you’re excited over these finds. I thinks it’s great and pure and awesome. Don’t lose that mojo!

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barbercoin said:

Now, I have my focus elsewhere too, like my XF Barber Quarter series. They are so hard to come by, I keep myself busy going through rolls (just started again).

XF40-XF45 Barber quarters? You are definitely a glutton for punishment with lots of coins under $200 and three Barbers representing 70% of the value of a 74 coin set!

Yes, it’s been tough and still is. My only regret is I took about a 12+ year break from it and fell desperately behind. Now, it seems almost impossible to finish in my lifetime. But, I’m focusing on the semi keys and will have to wait for a lottery hit for the 01s and the other two.

It’s extremely difficult keeping focus on the goal when there’s soooo many other gorgeous coins out there I’d like to own!

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

If all coins were minted flawlessly and preserved as such grading wouldn't be much of a concern or issue and then. . . what the heck would we then all be bickering about?!

peacockcoins

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2024 4:11PM

Or this:

To survive in that state is just amazing honestly….

Well, my days of finding anything that special have not come around. I take small wins and wish that a bigger one is around the corner. Glad they happen to others.

From some of the responses, I was thinking that I was they ONLY one who went through rolls expecting to find nice new coins for their circulated collection.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barbercoin said:
    I do collect and save them, right from circulation. It’s a challenge to fill all the holes. I realize it’s not worth much, but to me it’s fun. Had a good time with the State Quarter series. As I find a higher grade coin, I replace it.

Thanks

Well, good luck. I have spent the last 40+ years going through rolls of dimes, quarters and halves and have never found a barber quarter or half, a few dimes maybe. Only a few Walkers and more Benjy's, but never a Barber and to attempt to find an XF. Unreal, let up on yourself, you may have a stroke.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Barbercoin said:
    I don’t shop much, but I can’t recall that last time I saw a half dollar used in commerce. I live in a relatively small world, so maybe it’s big somewhere else?

That doesn’t change the fact that they’re intended for commerce, not to be saved or collected. If the damage you’re speaking of was on uncirculated and Proof coins sold by the Mint, that would be a very different matter.

In addition, if the coins for commerce were handled as if they were Mint commemoratives, there would be no premium for any coin that wasn't at least a 69.

@asheland said:
    Or this:

To survive in that state is just amazing honestly….

Well, they never left the Mint. Lol.

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one is labeled machine roll damage yet it came from a mint set…

edited June 15, 2024 6:00PM

@Coinscratch said:

Coin counter? Or similar spinning plate coin mover.

edited June 15, 2024 5:51PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinscratch said:

Coin counter?

Are you saying that the damage possibly came from a coin counter within the mint?

@Coinscratch said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinscratch said:

Coin counter?

Are you saying that the damage possibly came from a coin counter within the mint?

They don't really use counters. But if they have similar coin moving equipment with a spinning plate then couldn't it cause similar marks to a rolling machine or counter?

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinscratch said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinscratch said:

Coin counter?

They don't really use counters. But if they have similar coin moving equipment with a spinning plate then couldn't it cause similar marks to a rolling machine or counter?

I suppose so I just always imagined machine roll damage as being the ring around the edge. I don’t see any kind of damage resembling Machine roll damage. Even if the term is held loosely, where is the damage?

By now I’ve already sold it. Hopefully the new owner will get a 67 FB out of it.

@braddick said:
    If all coins were minted flawlessly and preserved as such grading wouldn't be much of a concern or issue and then. . . what the heck would we then all be bickering about?!

Some sticker or another opining on the exact level of flawlessness, whether flawlessness is even a thing, should it be technical or net….. We’re probably the most naturally gifted argument originators and perpetuators on the planet.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:

@braddick said:

Some sticker or another opining on the exact level of flawlessness, whether flawlessness is even a thing, should it be technical or net….. We’re probably the most naturally gifted argument originators and perpetuators on the planet.

Ahhh, excellent point.

peacockcoins

• erscoloerscolo Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins are for commerce and the last thing needed is another whine thread...I have no cheese.

I got plenty of cheese and what really bites is the machine roll damage happens on the Enders which just happens to be the ones that tone.

And I’m sure the guy who invented that machine is real proud of himself :D

Never have I thought the expect an XF Barber to present itself in a bank roll let alone any Barber. That’s makes me sound like a fool. Like most people, the biggest finds have been a few silver dimes, nickels, quarters and one 40% half.

My post said that XF Barber Quarters are so hard to find (at least the ones that I need) that I spend time going through rolls to keep myself occupied.

BTW still looking for semi keys 92s, 93s, 95s, 96o/s, 97o/s, 98o, 99o/s, 03o/s, 05o, 06o, 09o
    The keys will come after I cash in my winning lottery ticket! :'(

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,191 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fingerprints on beer cans drive coin dealers to drink. Can you believe there's even a drinking game called "quarters" ? This coin world is getting crazy.

HE>I

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    I got plenty of cheese and what really bites is the machine roll damage happens on the Enders which just happens to be the ones that tone.

Probably wound up sitting at home "counting" all the money he made on his invention.😀

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@Coinscratch said:

Probably wound up sitting at home "counting" all the money he made on his invention.😀

No machine roll damage on cash!

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@Coinscratch said:

No machine roll damage on cash!

No. Just counting machine damage.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2024 11:39AM

@Barbercoin said:
    Did a real quick board search on this topic and didn’t see much talk about it. So, I just wanted to add my disappointment in the damage I’ve seen done to coins during the counting and rolling process.

I can’t tell you how many beautiful almost flawless coins I’ve found while going through bank rolls only to find damage due to machine rolling. I don’t know much about the actual process although I can sort of perceive how it’s done.

I wish there was a better way of preserving our beautiful coins. I haven’t had any plastic rolls yet, so I can’t speak to that.

Just a rant. Sorry.

I have a lot more problems with what coin doctors do to coins and then get rewarded for it.

I will never forget this example.

I got this coin on consignment for a customer when I was a dealer. This customer was very well to do and could have afforded it. It was a great buy at at less than $100,000. I could not get him to pull the trigger and had to return it. It was in an EF-45 holder. If I had had the money I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT IT.

Later I saw the same coin, now in an AU holder. The price was higher, of course. The coin had been "shined up" had hairlines and was "nice and bright." I recognized the piece and asked the dealer from whom I had had it on consignment, who was an expert in early U.S. coinage, if it was the same piece. He confirmed that it was. He also confirmed that had been brushed.

Looking like this it would have been a firm pass for me.

This piece was ruined for the sake of getting a higher grade on account of the "luster." "Shine is more like it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2024 11:40AM

@Barbercoin said:

Just a rant. Sorry.

To address your issue, these are "coins of realm." They are made to be used, and those who use them must handle them in the most efficient ways possible. Counting machines are part of the game.

LaVar Redfield had something 400,000 silver dollars in his basement. When that collection ( or hoard) was bought, an idiot put THOSE COINS through a counting machine. Now that was stupid. Why? All of them were now collectors' items and condition counts.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@Barbercoin said:

Just a rant. Sorry.

I have a lot more problems with what coin doctors do to coins and then get rewarded for it.

I will never forget this example.

I got this coin on consignment for a customer when I was a dealer. This customer was very well to do and could have afforded it. It was a great buy at at less than $100,000. I could not get him to pull the trigger and had to return it. It was in an EF-45 holder. If I had had the money I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT IT.

Later I saw the same coin, now in an AU holder. The price was higher, of course. The coin had been "shined up" had hairlines and was "nice and bright." I recognized the piece and asked the dealer from whom I had had it on consignment, who was an expert in early U.S. coinage, if it was the same piece. He confirmed that it was. He also confirmed that had been brushed.

Looking like this it would have been a firm pass for me.

This piece was ruined for the sake of getting a higher grade on account of the "luster." "Shine is more like it.

That’s one hell of a coin! I would rather take it several grades lower, but original…

edited June 16, 2024 1:08PM

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Fingerprints on beer cans drive coin dealers to drink. Can you believe there's even a drinking game called "quarters" ? This coin world is getting crazy.

Well, I’ve got some model home wine, it’s Father’s Day, and it is 5 o’clock somewhere :)

• FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

“Crazy” is everywhere—“insanely” moves up.

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy quarters at a modest premium at shows, wrapped in mint rolls.

Feel that is a pretty good bang per buck.

I have spent a bunch of 66 and 67's

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one of my Henning nickels which has the ring of death on the reverse. I real like as it indicates it may have been in circulation for a fair period of time.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWP said:
    This is one of my Henning nickels which has the ring of death on the reverse. I real like as it indicates it may have been in circulation for a fair period of time.

That ring is a badge of honor for a Henning nickel. :)

Frances Leroy Henning would be proud!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file