Home U.S. Coin Forum

The unloved, low respect etc MS60 grade, post an MS60 coin, any denomination

KoinsarefunKoinsarefun Posts: 36 ✭✭✭
edited June 17, 2024 7:39AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:
    No thanks @mikee999

Possibly @1coincollector as well. He put a reaction on every post in this thread, but has never posted.
    @1coincollector , no offence meant if you are not another Mikee.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:

@lermish said:
    No thanks @mikee999

Possibly @1coincollector as well. He put a reaction on every post in this thread, but has never posted.
    @1coincollector , no offence meant if you are not another Mikee.

No need to apologize.
    You are accurate in your assessment.

peacockcoins

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang! I've been dismissive of this grade before but some of these coins appear a bit undergraded... I'm not seeing co tact marks on the $5 Indian that would bring it down to 60...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hfjacinto said:
    @pmh1nic , I agree.

Here is just the coin. I've seen 62 and 3's look worse.

It looks AU to me.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@hfjacinto said:
    @pmh1nic , I agree.

It looks AU to me.

Do I interpret that to mean the assigned 60 is a reflection that it’s not truly an MS coin?

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pmh1nic said:

@MFeld said:

@hfjacinto said:
    @pmh1nic , I agree.

It looks AU to me.

Do I interpret that to mean the assigned 60 is a reflection that it’s not truly an MS coin?

It’s a weird way to market grade if that’s the case. Normally you hear of sliders getting into 62 holders. To get a 60, you normally need a lot of contact marks on a coin that’s still technically UNC.

• Iceman6628Iceman6628 Posts: 16 ✭✭

I rather have a nice looking 58.

@Iceman6628 said:
    I rather have a nice looking 58.

Years ago a coin that had some rub but was otherwise a nice coin without any distracting contact marks was given the AU-58 grade. You could find some really nice coins for a good price in that grade. But for the rub the eye appeal was much better than some MS-62 and 63 coins. I’d intentionally look for AU-58’s to get a nice coin at a good price

Unfortunately (IMHO) that practice was changed. Today a coin can have significant contact marks but if it has almost full mint luster it gets a 58 grade.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin

@pmh1nic said:

@MFeld said:

@hfjacinto said:
    @pmh1nic , I agree.

It looks AU to me.

No, I don’t think that was the intention. I’d guess that many people think the coin looks uncirculated. I’m just not one of them.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@MFeld said:

@pmh1nic said:

@MFeld said:

@hfjacinto said:
    @pmh1nic , I agree.

It looks AU to me.

No, I don’t think that was the intention. I’d guess that many people think the coin looks uncirculated. I’m just not one of them.

What grade would you give it based on the picture?

@pmh1nic said:

@MFeld said:

@pmh1nic said:

@MFeld said:

@hfjacinto said:
    @pmh1nic , I agree.

It looks AU to me.

AU58, though I might have a different opinion in-hand and/or with clearer pictures.

@MFeld said:

@pmh1nic said:

@MFeld said:

@pmh1nic said:

@MFeld said:

@hfjacinto said:
    @pmh1nic , I agree.

It looks AU to me.

AU58, though I might have a different opinion in-hand and/or with clearer pictures.

I much prefer the AU-58 grade over the MS-60.

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:
    No thanks @mikee999

How can one person continue to reincanate himself over and over again on these forums? And now he's stolen the username of our beloved @coinsarefun
    I am reminded of the 1988 vice presidential debate, "Senator, you're no @coinsarefun !"

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:

@lermish said:
    No thanks @mikee999

How can one person continue to reincanate himself over and over again on these forums? And now he's stolen the username of our beloved @coinsarefun
    I am reminded of the 1988 vice presidential debate, "Senator, you're no @coinsarefun !"

Either @PCGS_Moderator took Friday off or isn't willing to ban because IP addresses (or something) aren't incriminating enough.

But there could not possibly be a more obvious alt situation, even from the other CAC/Rick snow/together hating troll who comes by from time to time.

• FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:

@lermish said:
    No thanks @mikee999

Numbismasochism.

It’s like _Groundhog Day” behavior getting better, but the default icons and uncropt smartphone shots are the giveaways.

@lermish said:

@DCW said:

@lermish said:
    No thanks @mikee999

Either @PCGS_Moderator took Friday off or isn't willing to ban because IP addresses (or something) aren't incriminating enough.

But there could not possibly be a more obvious alt situation, even from the other CAC/Rick snow/together hating troll who comes by from time to time.

I believe that PCGS Moderator had the week off. He hasn't responded to my PMs all week.

Also, the BST troll/scammer comes to mind.

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:

@lermish said:

@DCW said:

@lermish said:
    No thanks @mikee999

I believe that PCGS Moderator had the week off. He hasn't responded to my PMs all week.

I'm just really surprised blitzdude hasn't shown up yet to accuse us of being forum police.

edited June 16, 2024 1:45PM

@lermish said:

@CRHer700 said:

@lermish said:

@DCW said:

@lermish said:
    No thanks @mikee999

I'm just really surprised blitzdude hasn't shown up yet to accuse us of being forum police.

Right.... :p I try to help where I can by PMing the moderator, and usually that fixes the problem. My uncle is a police officer, so maybe I got it from him. :D

This discussion has been closed.