Home U.S. Coin Forum

Has anyone noticed that NGC photo department has improved immensely?

DCWDCW Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

NGC photos used to be garbage
Unusable. Dark as if they simply scanned the coins.
Now have a look:

So, there is hope for PCGS to fix the True View issues.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
"Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Comments

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2024 7:13PM

Yes NGC's photovision is greatly improved, however, I fail to see how that can in any way translate as a fix to the horrid photos at PCGS now. It is truly perplexing to me the lengths that some people here go to prop up and hype a sinking ship. I think everyone is aware that the TV product could be improved with some capital investment, but there have been no signs that such an investment is forthcoming.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • DCWDCW Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf
    Who here is hyping up and propping up the sinking ship? All I see are complaints about PCGS. I'm saying if NGC can turn it around, so can PCGS. It's not that hard.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

If NGC would get rid of the white prongs, I would consider using them again, but they seem to love those ugly things.

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    @coinbuf
    Who here is hyping up and propping up the sinking ship? All I see are complaints about PCGS. I'm saying if NGC can turn it around, so can PCGS. It's not that hard.

I've heard that the only reason NGC's images were so bad were because the photographer was forced to use a filter to make all coins look uniform. Without the filter, I've been told he could shoot just as well as Phil.

If that's true - NGC always had the capability to do better. PCGS does not necessarily have the same skill readily available.

Coin Photographer.

• OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    Yes NGC's photovision is greatly improved, however, I fail to see how that can in any way translate as a fix to the horrid photos at PCGS now. It is truly perplexing to me the lengths that some people here go to prop up and hype a sinking ship. I think everyone is aware that the TV product could be improved with some capital investment, but there have been no signs that such an investment is forthcoming.

I see a way. Vote with your wallet.

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    That is great news. I hope that all of the grading services improve their imaging. It's the most important factor in knocking down the counterfeit coin in the counterfeit slab criminals. If the coin in the slab doesn't match the one in the photo, the slab and very probably the coin are counterfeits.

NGC has been taking images of every coin for years now for this very reason.

Coin Photographer.

• alefzeroalefzero Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Their images used to look like holder prison intake photos. While it still does vary, many are looking pretty sweet.

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

The old scans and the new PhotoVision are not the same type of photography service. I believe PhotoVision is an add-on, although perhaps it is also included in certain types of grading like the TrueView is. The old method really was just a scan with no intention of capturing the coin, but just having a record of it as it was holdered.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2024 1:10PM

Indeed, NGC is offering some excellent photography! I never thought PCGS and NGC would reverse roles with regards to photography.

• spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:

@coinbuf said:

I see a way. Vote with your wallet.

Doing just that. I have about 30 to 40 coins that I would have gladly filtered through pcgs as soon as next week... Now they will be going elsewhere.

It's really sad what is becoming of this...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file