Home U.S. Coin Forum

Welcome back, old friend

renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin was bought by Brian Wagner and sold to me in a PF66BN NGC holder way back in April of 2009. It was the middle of "MPL Mania" as some would call it, and we were all overpaying for quality examples. I sent the coin to PCGS as a straight crossover and they sent it back. So I sent it in again with a minimum grade of PR65. That time it came back 66+. It lived in my set for a while and in a moment of weakness I sold it to Richard Shapiro for way hecka more than I paid for it. I assumed it was lost forever.

Fast forward to Winter FUN, 2024. Finally, what I had been waiting for for over a decade! Richard was selling his set. But alas, there were some big coins in the Husak sale that I wanted to go after, and I decided not to push the MPL's I wanted in favor of trying to buy some of the early coppers I wanted. Bummer, because I got blown out of the water on all of those. Dang! I was subsequently able to buy some of his MPL's that came in a later auction, but not this one.

Anyway, just Yesterday I was sitting with Andy Skrabalak and he pulled out a couple of the coins he was still trying for upgrades on, and there it was. I told him I just couldn't stop thinking about this one, and he was kind enough to give me a number. I immediately agreed and wrote the check.

Here it is:

Thanks Andy! And Happy belated birthday to his lovely wife, Alynne! (It was yesterday too, BTW)

Comments

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations! That’s awesome!

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh man, isn't it nice when the power of the universe creates a situtaion so one of the coins you sold but still pine for, comes back to you?!!

Awesome news!!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! That is a beauty!

• EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad it came back home......

Easton Collection
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent surprise on this journey of ours. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! There are some coins that we never forget and regret selling. Always nice to get it back.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Inspired70Inspired70 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love stories like this! Some coins are just emblazoned in one's mind and impossible to forget. Congratulations!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file