Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Advice on visiting Cooperstown

Hi gentlemen,
I'm taking my 13-year old son on a trip to NY this summer. He's an avid Braves fan and an overall baseball junkie and he's never been to Yankee stadium, so we're catching the Braves while they're in town in June. We are also planning a 1-2 day trip up to Cooperstown to visit the Hall, which I've never been to either. My question is this- The HOF website touts this "private experience" for $500 where they take you behind the scenes and show you items of interest from your favorite team. Has anyone ever done this and do you think it's worth it? Or is there enough to see in the HOF itself that my son would love it anyway? Any famous cards there that we should look for?

Thanks for any advice!

Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.

Comments

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭

This should go in the Travel Forum ;)

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mcadams

What a wonderful trip! Cooperstown is a quiet hamlet with the HOF, Doubleday Field, some card shops and some restaurants. The museum is definitely an awesome place to visit, well run and not so overwhelming in size. They regularly rotate the material on display so it’s a good mix of stuff.

I would definitely consider the offer to pay for the ‘behind the scenes’ tour especially if it’s a once in a lifetime trip as it sounds; the age is perfect and with no girls you should have oodles of time to soak it all in.

Enjoy!!!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    @mcadams

What a wonderful trip! Cooperstown is a quiet hamlet with the HOF, Doubleday Field, some card shops and some restaurants. The museum is definitely an awesome place to visit, well run and not so overwhelming in size. They regularly rotate the material on display so it’s a good mix of stuff.

I would definitely consider the offer to pay for the ‘behind the scenes’ tour especially if it’s a once in a lifetime trip as it sounds; the age is perfect and with no girls you should have oodles of time to soak it all in.

Enjoy!!!

Thanks brother! Advice much appreciated.

Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    ElMagoStrikeZoneElMagoStrikeZone Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

Just to add and make it a TC&M related post.....as you stroll Main St you might notice more than a few stores and dealers selling baseball cards on your way to the Hall Of Fame. My recollection from summer of 2002 was a place so vast, that there wouldn't be nearly enough time to see even a fraction of what's on display. We found our way to exhibits for specific teams or players of interest. We were there, I think, a week ahead of induction weekend with a large group because our kids were playing in the Dreams tournament. The town was already overflowing with visitors and the toughest assignment we faced was finding food! :D Plan ahead.

Come on people now. Smile on your brothers.

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭

I roadtripped it up there with a buddy a few years ago. Including the trip there and back from Hartford, CT area and the time we spent in town, I feel it was sufficient. The museum was cool, of course. Most sure I'd spend $500 on a special tour, but I am cheap! Honestly, even though the stuff was amazing, I grow bored after a while of looking at exhibits. I spent enough time inside the museum and I am guessing it was maybe 1, 2 hours at most.

Although we popped into every shop I saw that was open, there were only a 2, maybe 3 shops that I felt were worthy of spending any time in. Most of them focused on merchandise and newer stuff (this was 2018). Cards, smaller flats (PCs, 8x10s, etc) and autographs are my primary interest. The best shop in town, by a mile, was Baseball Nostalgia (this was the model of the perfect type of card shop in my mind) and it has since closed. A couple with storefronts were not open for whatever reason as well. I didn't spend a ton of money, simply because the selection was fairly weak and most of it overpriced. Very touristy vibe for most of the shops, because that is probably who they serve mostly. All said, i'd like to go again someday and maybe have more time in general for everything. I don't think I would like it around induction day, despite the benefits of what comes with that. I hate crowds and lines.

If I make it back there, it'll be to spend more time in the museum and maybe just to absorb the town a bit more. We didn't stray far off main street.

The Basketball HOF in Springfield, MA is not that far away considering (of course we were coming from CT and that was only a slight detour or maybe that was the best way anyway). Worth making that trip if you are already that close and have the time, if basketball interests you as well.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2024 2:45PM

Reserve some time in the HOF library especially if your son has a favorite player. They have folders of photographs organized by players for which they have the negatives and will print and send a photo to you at a very reasonable price. It is cool to be given gloves and go through the originals many of which have notes as to where to place on the newspaper article. It is free but you need to call ahead.

• Options
    edited June 7, 2024 2:47PM

Had them print this photo of Banks and Robinson my first trip there in 1995. When I took my nephews a few years back let them each pick a photo and I framed it as a Christmas present one chose Ryan the other DiMaggio.

• Options

@brad31 said:
    Reserve some time in the HOF library especially if your son has a favorite player. They have folders of photographs organized by players for which they have the negatives and will print and send a photo to you at a very reasonable price. It is cool to be given gloves and go through the originals many of which have notes as to where to place on the newspaper article. It is free but you need to call ahead.

HOF Library seems like a Great idea!

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭✭

I have wanted to go there my whole life but I have no way of getting there nor covering the expenses :( And there's also little one (kitty) to think about as well...

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭

@Estil said:
    I have wanted to go there my whole life but I have no way of getting there nor covering the expenses :( And there's also little one (kitty) to think about as well...

Dona fundraiser. I would donate $20 for your trip. Every fan who wants to go needs to.

And I didn’t know about the library. I need to go back when my boys are a little older.

• Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭

I finally visited last November. Because it had been a bucket list item since I was a kid I spent the equivalent of two full days in the museum (the hours are 9-5 daily) because I wanted to see every exhibit, read every placard and take lots of pictures. I just didn't want to be rushed. I don't want to dissuade you from the $500 behind-the-scenes tour (I didn't do it) but there is so much to see and gawk over in the 3 floors of the museum. And that's not even including the actual hall with the HOF plaques.

The baseball card exhibit is amazing. They have pull out display frames with several cards from about every major set going back to the tobacco era. The holy grails exhibit has the Wagner, '52 Mantle, 1914 Mathewson, Plank, etc and each are contained in a niche. (They're kept in the dark save for a light that stays on for 10 seconds with the push of a button.)

I really enjoyed the town itself too. Some good places to eat and very walkable. The Otesaga Hotel has a rather nice restaurant. (They even have the wine glasses on display assigned to the individual HOFers who come for induction weekend.) Most of the touristy memorabilia stores were closed when I was there but I don't think I missed anything. The Fenimore Art Museum is in Cooperstown too. They had Randy Johnson's (yes, that Randy Johnson) photography on exhibit when I was there.

I definitely want to go back.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always enjoyed my visits there. Careful with the card shops. Prices at some are high. A point of interest I find is the reading of the plaques of the HOFers. Card displays are always a joy to see. Have a great time.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 601 ✭✭✭✭

Ommegang Brewery during waffles and puppets week . Plenty for parents and kids . Always took that trip when I lived back east. Get there early and leave early . Worth every sugar spike my diabetes absorbed :D

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been there twice. Enjoyed every second of it.

Advice? Stay away from the local shops selling cards and memorabilia. They are tourist traps from yell.

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭

you also have to have breakfast at the Cooperstown diner on Main Street

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2024 7:37AM

I've visited 5 times starting as Child in the late 80's. My only regret is I've not been there my 6th time - yet

Highlights of my first visit

• The long since gone Fritsch Museum
    • My buddies Dad purchasing a 1914 Cracker Jack Cobb from one of the small shops. Yep it was real!
    • The Prime Rib at the Hickory Grove Inn

It's the singer not the song - Peter Townshend (1972)

• Options
    ElMagoStrikeZoneElMagoStrikeZone Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

Just to add....We also made a plan to attend a Single A Minor League game in Oneonta at Damaschke Field. IF you get a chance to go see some guys who will quite likely never get a trip to The Show, this would be the place. It was quite surreal, and of course included a rain (downpour!) delay.

The Tigers affiliate played vs. the Vermont Expos and one notable name on the roster was Curtis Granderson, just starting to play his way up the ladder. I guess he did alright. In 2016, we attended Game 3 of the WS in Chicago the night he received the Clemente Award. Had a decent career. So, I'm a Grandyman fan.

Come on people now. Smile on your brothers.

• Options

@ElMagoStrikeZone said:
    Just to add....We also made a plan to attend a Single A Minor League game in Oneonta at Damaschke Field. IF you get a chance to go see some guys who will quite likely never get a trip to The Show, this would be the place. It was quite surreal, and of course included a rain (downpour!) delay.

The Tigers affiliate played vs. the Vermont Expos and one notable name on the roster was Curtis Granderson, just starting to play his way up the ladder. I guess he did alright. In 2016, we attended Game 3 of the WS in Chicago the night he received the Clemente Award. Had a decent career. So, I'm a Grandyman fan.

Been to the Oneonta field once. Got a program when future Yankee Jorge Posada played there.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am glad you had a great visit!!! I agree, it is overwhelming. I have been out about 10 times over the years and i just keep coming back. Have fun at the falls. those are awesome as well

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Glad you had a nice trip. Going to the HOF with your son will be a memory you both cherish.

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭

Were you there for the All Star Village tournament?

• Options

Did you visit any card shops?

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Absolutely! We got into town Monday early afternoon and hit up 6-7 shops, then hit the hall Tuesday morning. For the card shops, my favorite was Yastrzemski’s. Had a decent selection of pre-war and good mix of raw/graded. Staff was friendly and had good conversation in general, plus they were nice to my son. We also had a good experience at Shoeless Joe’s, but they’re really more about auto’s balls and jerseys (really nice selection of jerseys).

Besides the LCS, we thought the wax museum was a waste of time. But there was a random “escape room” on a side street that had a room based on Yankees stars and the curse of the Bambino. Oddly enough, we had a GREAT time there for $35.

• Options

@mcadams said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Absolutely! We got into town Monday early afternoon and hit up 6-7 shops, then hit the hall Tuesday morning. For the card shops, my favorite was Yastrzemski’s. Had a decent selection of pre-war and good mix of raw/graded. Staff was friendly and had good conversation in general, plus they were nice to my son. We also had a good experience at Shoeless Joe’s, but they’re really more about auto’s balls and jerseys (really nice selection of jerseys).

Besides the LCS, we thought the wax museum was a waste of time. But there was a random “escape room” on a side street that had a room based on Yankees stars and the curse of the Bambino. Oddly enough, we had a GREAT time there for $35.

Did that same escape room with my nephews and we had a great time too.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

I commend you as a Father, well done! I wish I had done similar with my 3 Sons before they got older. My boys are all 30 or over now and it's very hard to plan trips that they can all attend.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.