Home Sports Talk

Elly de la Cruz hits a home run…..

13»

Comments

• 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotta give De la Cruz his props. He has his OPS+ up to 130 and still leads the league in SB. He is well below the other star shortstops that have been talked about, but he is at least earning more now in relation to the hype.

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:
    Gotta give De la Cruz his props. He has his OPS+ up to 130 and still leads the league in SB. He is well below the other star shortstops that have been talked about, but he is at least earning more now in relation to the hype.

Yep, and batting average up to .258 - credit where credit is due.

But I still ain't buying his rookie cards. Good luck to those who do.

• MistlinMistlin Posts: 293 ✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

Yep, and batting average up to .258 - credit where credit is due.

But I still ain't buying his rookie cards. Good luck to those who do.

It is crazy that it is 2024 and people still using batting average. That is akin to looking at a beautiful painting with one eye closed. Crazy!

Anyone investing in cards of a young player hoping for a payday deserves to be separated from their money.

I do not have time for ignorant trolls.
    ignore list: 1948_Swell_Robinson, Darin, bgr, bronco2078, dallasactuary

• bgrbgr Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭

That really is crazy. Bonkers. Delete batting average. Got it.

@bgr said:

Yea, those silly hits mean nuffin'. 😆

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, Bobby Witt is 13-19 after the all star break but 1-19 would have been just as good since batting avg. doesn’t matter.

What I find unbelievable is Elly has raised his batting avg. from .230 to .258 and mistlin doesn’t acknowledge ( or know) that’s why his other numbers have improved, OBP, Slug , OPS etc.
    Mistlin must think it’s magic or hocus pocus.
    Same thing with Bobby Witt. His batting avg. has gone up 15 points since the all star break and now his power numbers are better than Gunnar Henderson’s, when he was trailing Gunnar before.
    The modern so called sophisticated fans think it’s so un cool to look at batting avg. when it’s a component of all the numbers they do look at. Kind of ironic.

Elly went 3-5 today avg. went up to .262 ………….,….,meanwhile back at Scooby’s mystery’s and unknown phenomena headquarters mistlin is trying to figure out why Elly’s on base percentage went up.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

Elly is a girls name

@stevek said:

@bgr said:

I never said hits do not matter, but then, when does facts and logic mean anything to someone like you?

What I said REPEATEDLY is that batting average, as a standalone metric, is a meaningless and empty statistic. People like you hear what they want to hear - facts be damned.

The fact you and others in this thread believed there was a real potential Elly was going to be sent down to the minors proves all of you are wholly ignorant of the sport.

Hilarious.

Enjoy your irrelevance, fossils!

@Mistlin said:

@stevek said:

@bgr said:

I never said hits do not matter, but then, when does facts and logic mean anything to someone like you?

What I said REPEATEDLY is that batting average, as a standalone metric, is a meaningless and empty statistic. People like you hear what they want to hear - facts be damned.

The fact you and others in this thread believed there was a real potential Elly was going to be sent down to the minors proves all of you are wholly ignorant of the sport.

Hilarious.

You get like that when you haven't eaten. Try a Snickers bar.

@bgr said:

@Mistlin said:

@stevek said:

@bgr said:

Hilarious.

You get like that when you haven't eaten. Try a Snickers bar.

I dunno. That sugar spike may set him off worse. 😂

Steve looks like you’ve got some work to do. I’m kind of honored to be in this club but it used to be a lot more exclusive with just 48swell and me. Now they’re letting almost anyone in. 🤔

Here it is,
    Gorillas in the mistlin’s pretend
    Ignore list.

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭✭

Can someone explain to me how an argument is being made that batting average doesnt matter but hits do? Its a direct result of hits

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:
    Can someone explain to me how an argument is being made that batting average doesnt matter but hits do? Its a direct result of hits

The less intelligent folks on this thread have it in their heads I said batting average does not matter; when all I said was looking at batting average ALONE does not matter. Using that as an end-all, be-all metric to determine a batter's value is incomplete. I simply noted that OBP takes walks into account that clearly BA does not, and that a walk is just as valuable as a hit and BA does not take that into account.

Particularly with a stolen base threat like Elly, a walk can easily turn into a double or triple with his proclivity for swiping bases. Again, the less intelligent folks here had it in their heads they were going to denigrate Elly for (gasp!) daring to draw what they felt as undue attention from the MLB network.

That's it. Instead of embracing one of the most electric young players in the game, these same dolts even stated earlier in the season he should be sent down to the minors to learn to strike out less.

All hits matter.

I read back through this thread and I don’t see anyone predicting he will be sent to the minors. You really have to take some liberty with the subjectivity of any statements relating to the topic of demotion to assert this claim. But further it’s just been a one-sided narrative for so long without anyone saying anything about whether he would or why he should be sent to the minors. Framing at its finest.

In reality though I don’t think any of this is actually an argument about EDLC. If I wanted to talk about politics without talking about politics I would visit my mother in law more often.

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭✭

@Mistlin said:

@Basebal21 said:

The less intelligent folks on this thread have it in their heads I said batting average does not matter; when all I said was looking at batting average ALONE does not matter. Using that as an end-all, be-all metric to determine a batter's value is incomplete. I simply noted that OBP takes walks into account that clearly BA does not, and that a walk is just as valuable as a hit and BA does not take that into account.

Hits are more valuable than walks in numerous situations even just comparing singles to walks and ignoring doubles, triples, and homeruns.

Guy on 3rd a hit scores a run, a walk makes it 1st and 3rd. Guys on 2nd and 3rd a hit scores 1 run and usually 2, a walk loads the bases. Guy on second often sores on a hit, a walk its 1st and 2nd. Guy on first can first to 3rd a lot, walk its first and second and so on.

A hit is much more valuable than a walk in numerous instances even if it is only a single.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2024 9:25AM

@Mistlin said:

@ and that a walk is just as valuable as a hit and BA does not take that into account.

I've talked about the value of walks and how they get ignored all the time, but you are not correct here in saying a walk is just as valuable as a hit. A base on balls has about 2/3 the value of a single overall. A single and a walk are only the same value when nobody is on bases(which is just over half the time), but the values with men on are much different and in the end, when added together, the base on balls is about 2/3 the value of a single.

@Basebal21 said:

@Mistlin said:

@Basebal21 said:

Hits are more valuable than walks in numerous situations even just comparing singles to walks and ignoring doubles, triples, and homeruns.

Guy on 3rd a hit scores a run, a walk makes it 1st and 3rd. Guys on 2nd and 3rd a hit scores 1 run and usually 2, a walk loads the bases. Guy on second often sores on a hit, a walk its 1st and 2nd. Guy on first can first to 3rd a lot, walk its first and second and so on.

A hit is much more valuable than a walk in numerous instances even if it is only a single.

Your argument is nonsense, but that seems par for the course around here.

It seems like a walk was just as valuable a hit in yesterday's Reds-Rays game. Game-winning RBI via walk for the Rays.

BTW four more stolen bases for 'minors candidate' Elly, top 20 in WAR, despite still leading the league in strikeouts.

The ignorance in these threads is a hilarious sight to behold.

Amazing job misinterpreting a comment... ^^^ Pro Level.

This discussion has been closed.