Home U.S. Coin Forum

Left a box of coins from my Grandpa curious y he kept them.

I inherited a box of coins and these where in a bag seperate from the others idk anything about coins maybe someone can help me if i post pictures

Comments

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2024 3:26PM

The first one is an environmental damaged national parks quarter , and as 291 said spend it all

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

He just didn''t have enough time to spend them. But, you can and say "thanks Grandpa" when you do.... or just save as a silly reminder that us old folks save weird stuff..sometimes.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Thank you

• mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully the others are more collectable. Maybe he had sorted these out to place in the spending coin jar.

Mark

• FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are the initials on the reverse? Hard to tell.

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,234 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not all collections are valuable. While these may be just common date, circulated coins if he left them to you I would think you could find some sentimental value there.
    Why spend them?
    Would a candy bar make you happier than holding onto some pocket change that your grandpa put away with some curiosity?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Save the copper cents and the wheat cent.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Slade01Slade01 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

Perhaps he had them because he enjoyed looking at them?
    And maybe he thought that you might also.

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was your grandfather into metal detecting? Or have a friend he would go metal detecting or beachcombing with? Some of these, at least, look like metal detector finds (the Sand Dunes quarter, in particular).

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sapyx said:
    Was your grandfather into metal detecting? Or have a friend he would go metal detecting or beachcombing with? Some of these, at least, look like metal detector finds (the Sand Dunes quarter, in particular).

That's a good thought. I use to save all the coins I found metal detecting regardless of value. Somehow it got lost during a move.

• Klif50Klif50 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭✭

I have a small number of wheat cents in a medicine bottle that were in my Great Grandfathers pocket when he died. Common dates from the teens and early 20's but they will always be special to me. The bottle is labeled in case my Grandkids ever come across it and wonder what the significance is.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spend them.

• LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

That table has more character than those coins.
    Let's see the whole table!

• Lol the table is like a murphey table it had a hidden drawer that u can only get into if u follow the steps to open it. And im not looking to sell them i just wanted to lnow if they were valuable. My gpa fid a lot of metal detecting and stuff so thank you all for the info and help

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the Forums! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file