Home U.S. Coin Forum

20 years later … just a thank you

pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve been meaning to do a post for the last week or so, since I just went over 20 years since I first signed up and started posting here. Just a post that reflects my gratitude for the great knowledge shared and comradery gained. A post that thanks those still here, and those no longer with us.

I signed up in late May 2004. I can’t exactly remember who, but I’m pretty sure it was Ken @Fairlaneman and Jim @jdimmick who had convinced me this was a place to be after we had some discussions through eBay. I hadn’t realized this place was so active then, and I was glad to find a lot of like-minded collectors.

And a lot of real, solid and serious shared knowledge and information. A lot of really good people. It was a wonderful escape from some of the everyday where I could read and learn more than I knew, and share where I had been. And meet other collectors from all walks of life.

I left for a while. In late 2012 some bad things happened, and by mid-2013 I had packed up what was left of my collection and books, and put it all away … to revisit later. Somehow the itch didn’t cause me to scratch for almost 7 years.

And then, just like that, events happened that had coins in front of me right before COVID shut the world down, and like any good addict, the first one pushed me back into the abyss!

I opened up the boxes, brought home some coins and paper from the vault, and tried to decide what was next. Over the next month or so, as the outside world slowed, it seemed what was next was going to be Bust coinage, more Currency, and maybe consolidating and cleaning up the collections I still had.

A few months later, I posted here again. It was 4 days shy of 16 years from the day I had first joined (and almost 7 years since I had last posted). Some of the people who welcomed me back were old friends. Some I recognized but didn’t really know yet, acquaintances at best. Some were new. And I found out, some I had lost track of in the years between had passed.

Anyway, as that summer wore on, I was introduced to the world of Capped Bust Half Dollars by a previous acquaintance who struck up a conversation with me that first night back. I started to really study and understand some of the nuances of the series, and a rabbit hole opened and began to swallow me whole. Soon I almost forgot about Bust Quarters and Dimes, and was focusing on Half Dollar Die Marriages and learning about Die States.

Between that person and a couple of his friends, who are also members here, they probably pushed me deep into that hole (although I am pretty sure I went willingly!). Later, that same acquaintance became a real friend, a Brother, and then sponsored me as an Associate Member of the Bust Half Nut Club. Whether I thank him or curse him for it, I will always remember @lkeigwin for opening that door. @drddm and @ebriker can probably take some credit (or blame!) for pushing me further into the rabbit hole. They certainly nudged!

And now, just passing 20 years since I joined here (and about 37 since I first started collecting as a young adult) I still have a great passion. For the knowledge and the nuances that make Numismatics interesting, exciting and enticing, but especially for the friendships and the comradery gained along the way.

Looking back through I have hundreds and hundreds of PM’s here, not to mention all the texts and calls with so many members. If I tried to thank everyone personally the list would be so long, and I would undoubtedly miss someone. I’m sure you know who you are.

Thank you all ... for helping make this such a great place, and for welcoming me both times I cracked open the door.

And, just so we keep it on point with Coins (and Currency), here are a couple of the wonderful prizes I have been able to add to my collections since I came back in May of 2020.

Feel free to share any of yours, or any good stories about your time on the boards.

:)

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

Comments

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2024 11:52AM

Enjoyed your post - appreciate you sharing!

Here’s a few with a “20” to commemorate your years here:

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post and it was great to see you return a few years ago.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m very glad that you returned!

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very glad to have gotten to know you Todd! It was quite the time going through article edits with you - that's a special memory for me.

I don't have any bust half images handy, so I'll do a nice Merc dime.

Coin Photographer.

• FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Todd how time flys. My newest raw Ebay win.

Ken

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,652 ✭✭✭✭✭

Todd, Glad to see you returned, and both nice pieces you picked up

Jim

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2024 4:07PM

Lovely coins @rnkmyer1

@TomG was one of the first guys to welcome me back that night four years ago, as was @MFeld

I had know them both before, but Mark was @coinguy1 (I think).

Tom and I share a great love a a great band ... and maybe a Rush to humor ;)

Some things never change @Fairlaneman I always enjoy seeing you post your new finds Ken. It reminds me of days gone by, and also that there are still treasures in the wild. Indeed, time does seem to fly by!

@FlyingAl You are one of my favorite YN's ever (not sure we can still call you that?), and our work on your Sailor Head project was a priveledge and an honor Alex.

Glad I made it back too Jim. It was a long hiatus, but coming back helped remind me why I loved this hobby so much.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭✭

You were the one that began to plug me into the network of bust half collectors!! Thank YOU for being bold in friendship and speech, bringing everyone together and even being the center of the party sometimes :D

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.
    BHNC #AN-10
    JRCS #1606

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on 20 years Todd! It’s been an absolute pleasure getting to know you and becoming friends. Your overall numismatic knowledge is top tier, you’re a wealth of information and you’ve given me some invaluable advice any time I’ve turned to you. Cheers to 20 more 🥂

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭✭

A big congratulations on 20 years!
    It’s been great getting to know you and for all the advice you have provided anytime I’ve ask!
    Thanks Todd.👍

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty said:
    Lovely coins @rnkmyer1

@TomG was one of the first guys to welcome me back that night four years ago, as was @MFeld

I had know them both before, but Mark was @coinguy1 (I think).

Tom and I share a great love a a great band ... and maybe a Rush to humor ;)

Some things never change @Fairlaneman I always enjoy seeing you post your new finds Ken. It reminds me of days gone by, and also that there are still treasures in the wild. Indeed, time does seem to fly by!

@FlyingAl You are one of my favorite YN's ever (not sure we can still call you that?), and our work on your Sailor Head project was a priveledge and an honor Alex.

Glad I made it back too Jim. It was a long hiatus, but coming back helped remind me why I loved this hobby so much.

Who is that @TomG guy? He obviously has excellent taste in music. Don't take too long of a break again or we will be welcoming you back in 2112. ;)

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

@TomB hahaha! Perfect comeback!! Oopps.

There is a Tom G guy too, but he's definitely NOT you!! Although, he's okay too, I guess ;)@pcgscacgold

@DeplorableDan Thank you Brother. Always happy to help, and you are one of my favorite "Deplorables!" B)

@HillbillyCollector Another favorite person I have met here recently. I was just thinking about texting you last night. Wanting to check how life was in Hillbilly Hicksville :D

@jacrispies Another of my favorite YN's when you arrived ... now a force to be reckoned with in the CBH world! Looking forward to Chicago!!

Todd - BHNC #242
  • scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Todd, I’m glad you’re here and I always enjoy seeing your posts! Here’s to another 20 years.
    Would love to meet up at the ANA, I believe I owe at least one beer 😀

Oh and also, that 1827 is amazing!

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on 20 years. :)

My 20 year milestone is on 8-4-2024. My how time flies, especially when one has fun on the forums.

@drddm The feeling is mutual Brother. I feel very fortunate to know you. Looking forward to catching up in person again soon. Damn that 14/3 is awesome!

@scubafuel Hey Matt! Whether you owe me one, or the other way around, I hope we get the chance to enjoy one together. If you're there this year, let's make it happen.

@SanctionII Seems like just yesterday (well not really, but kind of), doesn't it. I always appreciate your posts and your great 20th Century Proofs.

Todd - BHNC #242
  • emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Horton Hears a Who" ? Hello.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Todd - you da man. Your contributions to the board have been many (informative and entertaining). You're one of the good guys. I'll post my only bust half in your honor (just a lowly AU55 CAC):

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2024 5:06AM

Thank you for the kind words Todd.

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty Congrats on 20 years on the forum. I'm glad you've returned as I've enjoyed your posts and particularly our conversations about seated Liberty halves.

Have fun with Bust halves. I could easily fall down the BH rabbit hole, but I'm stuck way down in the SLH rabbit hole at the moment.

I wish I had a photo or scan of my coal black circ cameo 1826 in VF20 to share and to help reset all our eyes from @Catbert's garish, headache-inducing, colorful AU example. ;)

My 1840-(O) mule is better suited as it's a product of both BH and SLH dies and provides the same therapeutic effect.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats, Todd. I also joined 20 years ago in May of 2004. You're a great asset to the board and a good friend as well.

Here's another 1827 for you.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • KliaoKliao Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats Todd! Your account is older than I am! You always have great bust halves to share. Hope to see you at Chicago in August!

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great posting and good that you came back! Like you, I caught some of the bust half fever back in the day, which expanded into seated halves later. I don't believe I'll complete either set, but the chase is part of the hobby. The PCGS forum has been instrumental in helping me get halves for my collection I couldn't find anywhere else.

• psuman08psuman08 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

Congrats Todd! Thanks for sharing your stories and wisdom.

• Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭✭

Very great read Todd, I always appreciate your insight and all the advice. Hope we can meet up soon, need to do something similar like that night at Pittsburgh ANA last year with @Pnies20 :D

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

• NicNic Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

20 years = guppy. @jdimmick sucks. :)

Great thread sir! Thanks for being here and sharing your enthusiasm!

@Davidk7 said:
    Hope we can meet up soon, need to do something similar like that night at Pittsburgh ANA last year with @Pnies20 :D

Absolutely David!

Todd - BHNC #242
  • BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    ... I don't believe I'll complete either set, but the chase is part of the hobby. The PCGS forum has been instrumental in helping me get halves for my collection I couldn't find anywhere else.

The chase IS the hobby.

The PCGS forum has kept me numismatically sane and on the right track. The knowledge exchange, fellowship, and entertainment here is extraordinary. The show reports are a treat, a bridge to being there.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome post.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2024 1:45AM

Welcome to the Two Decade Club! Nice to see many of us are still around.

In a little over two years, I’ll be in the Quarter Century Club. It will be fun to do a roll call then. I’m looking forward to it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back, gee I'm just a new "B", I joined Dec. 14,2010.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always enjoy your entertaining writing, and superb coins and notes my Friend!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file