Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Colombia 8 Reales 1770 NR VJ NGC MS-64+ for sale over at World Numismatic LLC $150 000

Comments

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2024 9:25AM

Figured I would share it since some of you collect these (way out of my league).

edited June 5, 2024 10:29AM

Last one that sold over at Heritage in NGC MS-64 sold in 2021 for $72 000. It was not a 64+ I am not sure how much more that (+) gives value to it. At 150k it seems pretty steep I could be wrong.

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

14 were discovered of this date to my recollection. It was previously unknown. NGC has graded 11. Haven't checked PCGS.

Most I have seen offered I recall as MS-64 with an MS-63 once. I don't recall seeing it recently, but it used to come up often enough.

I believe someone can find another one essentially identical for a lot less.

I've bought from them three times. most recently 2018.

• ELuisELuis Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

Taken from the site Macuquina and the article of February 2007 bulletin...

Colombian 8 Reales 1770
    Santa Fe (de Bogotá) Mint, Assayers VJ

This was an unknown date for Colombian eight reales until early May of 2006, when during the excavation for a building foundation in the center of old Bogotá, a construction worker uncovered a large stone

He recovered about 93 coins and put them in his pockets. At lunchtime he visited a nearby pawnshop, where he received a few pesos for a large silver coin

The most outstanding find was 12 to 14 of these eight reales coins, most of them in perfect condition

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a high pop in 64

Price wise that’s somewhat concerning imo

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

edited June 5, 2024 2:48PM

@bidask said:
    That’s a high pop in 64

What would you say 80k-90k price wise would make sens? Or is that estimate still to high?

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

13 were found per Kent.

The MS65 sold in 2020 for $85,000 hammer at a Sedwick sale.

Most recent was earlier this year, another Sedwick sale of an attractive MS63, also for $85,000 hammer ($102k all in).

If you figure based on those comps and the time since the 65 sold, his asking isn’t wholly unreasonable

@bidask said:
    That’s a high pop in 64

For a pillar dollar, yes. There is also an MS-65 and four MS-63.

Pop is also high in similar quality compared to other competing pillar dollars from Columbia and Chile. Maybe also the Peru 1751 but

• SimonWSimonW Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s high, but coins in retail settings are usually higher. WorldNumismatics (love them) usually prices things very strongly, sometimes the highest ever.

I wouldn’t really expect less than 100k, they might be talked down a bit.

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

@SimonW said:
    It’s high, but coins in retail settings are usually higher. WorldNumismatics (love them) usually prices things very strongly, sometimes the highest ever.

I wouldn’t really expect less than 100k, they might be talked down a bit.

Maybe 5% to 10%.

Totally different type of buyer, but they gave a 10% discount on the 1758 Peru NGC XF-45 4R I bought from them in 2018.