Home U.S. Coin Forum

Weird error penny

Brittie1226Brittie1226 Posts: 7
edited June 4, 2024 12:51PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I found a penny and i am not sure if its a rare error or if its just a messed up penny. Can i please get someone to help me im pisting puctures of front and back of coin... thank you

Comments

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2024 1:57PM

That sure is weird and unique looking! Very interesting! I know it's PMD, just wondering what may have caused this unique design or pattern?.. A dryer coin?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

100% genuine messed up Lincoln cent.

Welcome to the forum

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely messed with.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭✭

Not an error of any kind.
    To be an error it would have to happen during the striking of the coin
    and there is no way that could happen then. Just another damaged cent.

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

Messed up penny is your answer….

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was also wondering it it could have been a close AM. I guess not.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stuck under a fuse

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

You really think it left the mint like that?????

• goldengolden Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not an error.

• vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

When will these threads end this forum?

Vplite99
  • Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s it. I’m done opening these posts. 🤦‍♂️

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

What do these cents weigh? If the weight is greater than the mint specified weight, that residue could be glue, cement, or solder from these cents being used in some kind of art project. I remember seeing a pic of a car totally covered in cents.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I wonder what happens if I put a penny down on my workbench, then take this dremel, ram it down on top of the penny, and turn it on".

"Oh.".

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vplite99 said:
    When will these threads end this forum?

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Brittie1226Brittie1226 Posts: 7
    edited June 5, 2024 1:12PM

Im.not messing with anyone i seriously found this and had no idea if it was like some weird error i am clueless when it comes to coins so i thought i would ask nobody had to be snotty i came as a novis asking a question hopefully to get an answer from a seasoned coin vet.

• Brittie1226Brittie1226 Posts: 7
    edited June 5, 2024 1:16PM

Also, Ive no idea what PMD or AM means i have no idea about anything to do with coins thus my reaching out to somewhere people do

@Brittie1226 said:
    Also, Ive no idea what PMD or AM means i have no idea about anything to do with coins thus my reaching out to somewhere people do

Post Mint Damage = PMD

Several people, not the snotty ones, did tell you that it was damaged. You can spend it or toss it.

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brittie1226 said:

In general, there is no need to reach out to anyone about presumed error coins that you find in your pocket change, as the overwhelming majority of them will just be damaged.

Finding an error of significant value requires searching hundreds of thousands to millions of coins, so unless you are searching very large volumes of coins from the bank, you need not bother looking. Those who succeed in finding valuable errors not only search huge numbers of coins, but have learned to identify errors before they start searching.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2024 2:00PM

I'll look at the bright side. I learned something new. I've seen a lot of PMD over the years but never one quite like that. Did it actually melt the zinc? And look at the dot of copper preserved at center-must have been a point of contact.

Fuse box cents need to be pre 1982 copper ones or this is what happens. Fuse boxes disappeared along with the copper cents but there are still a few of each in circulation.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

@Brittie1226 said:

For the record, "AM" is the A and M on the reverse. That comment is about a variety and really wasn't helpful. Ignore it. In that condition, the variety wouldn't matter.

• What is a fuse box cent?

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brittie1226 said:
    What is a fuse box cent?

@Brittie1226 said:
    What is a fuse box cent?

A cent that someone put in a fuse box. The damage looks like it could be from electrical arcing.

Please. It's just damaged and worth 1 cent. There's nothing else worth saying.

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brittie1226 said:
    Im.not messing with anyone i seriously found this and had no idea if it was like some weird error i am clueless when it comes to coins so i thought i would ask nobody had to be snotty i came as a novis asking a question hopefully to get an answer from a seasoned coin vet.

It should be pointed out that we're not accusing you of messing with this coin or trying to deceive people. We're saying someone messed with this coin - perhaps something like how I've described it - then decided to spend it anyway, which is when you've found it.

If some of the answers in this thread seem flippant, rude or abrupt, it's perhaps because we see an awful lot of threads just like this one, where people have watched some "find rare coins in change" videos on YouTube and decided to search through their own pocket change and post their own odd-looking coins. But the simple fact is, the vast majority - probably 98% or 99% - of "unusual looking coins you find in change" are just damaged coins, like this one, and not of any interest or extra value to a collector.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin just might be in the running for the most unusual PMD example ever posted.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

@jmlanzaf said:

@Brittie1226 said:
    What is a fuse box cent?

A cent that someone put in a fuse box. The damage looks like it could be from electrical arcing.

Please. It's just damaged and worth 1 cent. There's nothing else worth saying.

I hate that smell. Right.
    But on the flip side, I found something identical, sorta, in a roll from a bank, years ago.
    The arcing of a coin may be a fact, that your a redneck, and here come the red trucks.
    The OP's coin seems to have an ballon effect where mine seems to have a blowout effect with sharp edges.
    Tin foil works also, do they make zinc tin foil ? Catch ya later, soon.

Not the best pics, but for on the fly,
    the'll do.

• Slade01Slade01 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

@Brittie1226 said:
    What is a fuse box cent?

They turn your home wiring into the fuse if they are copper cents because they will not burn through like the wiring that those 15A screw in fuses protect by blowing and stopping the current flow.

• FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would give that weirdo a home in a folder.

• LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file