Home U.S. Coin Forum

Any fans of Hawaiian coinage here?? Check out what GC is offering.

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just noticed this today - many rare pieces being offered, to include this MS68 CAC dollar.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.

Comments

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've looked at this coin a few times. I'd be interested in discussing opinions of it once the auction is over.

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've not seen it in person - hopefully it will be at Long Beach this week.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m looking for a holed Hawaiian dollar

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭✭

That dollar is magnificent.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

Ian has confirmed it will be at LB - looking forward to seeing it!

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:

@pocketpiececommems said:
    I’m looking for a holed Hawaiian dollar

This would be an ideal do-it-yourself coin.

I'd prefer to spoon this coin into a ring.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a wonderful coin in the OP. A true Hawaiian coin that actually made the trip to Hawaii would be, I would imagine, quite a bit grimier and likely polished at some point. I have a nice quarter gotten from my Uncle that used to live there and then a dollar coin that is likely XF-AU details for light cleaning & these are possibly a bit more "real world".
    Still, love this and then the Reginald Huth fantasy pieces from a bit later on.....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

Really enjoyed viewing the Hawaii coins today - thanks, Ian!

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw a video of it on someone’s instagram story, the coin is breathtaking.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

@DeplorableDan said:

I did as well. I guess it's in public now so I'll make my comment.

I am being extremely nitpicky regarding a coin I cannot currently afford. And I'm confident I'm in the minority here. The detail is perfection and the luster is simply astounding. A friend described it as a flashlight, which is a perfect term.

But...

In the pictures there are noticeable die polish lines or planchet striations. I asked the gentleman who posted that video and he stated "they are definitely there". The lines are distracting to me for a $200k+ coin. I like the coin...but I don't think it's as perfect as appears and I wouldn't buy it if I was looking to spend that kind of money on a Dala.

@lermish said:

@DeplorableDan said:

I did as well. I guess it's in public now so I'll make my comment.

I am being extremely nitpicky regarding a coin I cannot currently afford. And I'm confident I'm in the minority here. The detail is perfection and the luster is simply astounding. A friend described it as a flashlight, which is a perfect term.

But...

In the pictures there are noticeable die polish lines or planchet striations. I asked the gentleman who posted that video and he stated "they are definitely there". The lines are distracting to me for a $200k+ coin. I like the coin...but I don't think it's as perfect as appears and I wouldn't buy it if I was looking to spend that kind of money on a Dala.

I really don’t think the polish lines are that distracting and almost look textual. There’s 2 68’s between P & N. 4 67’s and 9 66’s. No idea how accurate that is with crossovers and crack outs? Either way this is a ridiculous rarity at this level. If Hawaiian regular issues are your thing, you’re about ready to go to war to acquire this coin. I think the final number might be staggering and will likely be over half a million.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

I looked at the MS68 dollar again today at LB. I don't find the polish lines at all distracting in person - they look accentuated on the photos.

Polish lines don't bother me on coins, unlike coarse adjustment lines. Polish lines are just part of the coinage process, especially on earlier issues.

edited July 21, 2024 8:07PM

I have no idea about the expectations for a coin like this; there are no comps. This feels like a pretty strong number with some spirited last minute bidding.

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1559260/1883-Hawaii-Silver-Dollar-PCGS-MS-68-CAC-Green-Toned

I feel like someone got a hell of a deal.

• RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forsythe has/had a great eye and built some awesome collections. I bought of some walkers from him... these Hawaiian coins are outside of my wheelhouse but are incredible.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:
    I feel like someone got a hell of a deal.

The seller?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I understood it correctly, the coin was purchased in 2006 for around $190,000? If that is the case, I believe the same money spent on bullion gold back in 2006 worth around $600,000 - $700,000 today. So, does this mean the buyer got a good deal tonight for well under $300,000? Or seller, finally has a chance with the sale tonight to try to outperform many other asset classes with the funds? I had a customer very interested in the coin, we lot viewed it (it was amazing), but, in the end the customer decided to keep the funds in his mostly tech stock positions that have performed very nicely over the past few years. Congratulations to everyone on the sale including GC!

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

After the market crashes later this year and they crank up the printing press turning fiat currency into worthless paper, the guy who bought this coin is going to own something truly rare and irreplaceable.

190k in 2006 dollars will get you 275k worth of goods today, so this coin has held its value against inflation.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    If I understood it correctly, the coin was purchased in 2006 for around $190,000? If that is the case, I believe the same money spent on bullion gold back in 2006 worth around $600,000 - $700,000 today. So, does this mean the buyer got a good deal tonight for well under $300,000? Or seller, finally has a chance with the sale tonight to try to outperform many other asset classes with the funds? I had a customer very interested in the coin, we lot viewed it (it was amazing), but, in the end the customer decided to keep the funds in his mostly tech stock positions that have performed very nicely over the past few years. Congratulations to everyone on the sale including GC!

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

Or the same buyer could have tried to corner the market on 1997 $5 business strike Jackie Robinson commems peaking at $4800 and would be down 75% plus on his investment.

Always risky to look back at a particular asset class and say geez, I should have...

In coin ownership, the first motivation should always be numismatic appreciation, not monetary.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file