Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Food for thought about the SGC acquisition..

13»

Comments

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good advice. I collect mostly. I sell because I can't keep everything. If the palmer got an 8.5 I would keep it. As a 7 i would sell it. Anything not worth at least $150, goes on the ebay store. just not enough room for everything. But at the same time "never get cheated", is exactly how I feel.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭

What other companies will they go to?

Assuming "they" don't just give up on graded cards, I agree, not much else out there. However, I have some cards in the old "CSG" green holders on display. I bought them already graded and like the way they look, including the subgrades. But, I neither buy much graded nor sub cards anymore, so not really an issue for me.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:

@mexpo75 said:
    I just think it is sad that collecting and grading has come to this.

Really frustrates me. i love grading. I love the journey. From buying on EBAY and card shows, to submitting..all of it. Then you see PSA 10's that look like 6's, people getting 10 psa 10's in a row or 275 psa 9's in a row. it's just a bummer.

Just got back my SGC order, which was my worst results yet. I have a perfectly centered 1973 Palmer, tough to find. Got a 7 (PSA rules I suppose). I look at EBAY and there is listed an 8.5. The 8.5 has some flaking on the top left of corner and in general looks a very tad bit worn. In reality, my Palmer looks like the 8.5 and the the 8.5 looks like a 7. Just venting. Sorry.

I completely agree. The journey of finding, or even stumbling upon by dumb luck, a high grade card in the wild. Even when it's a common or oddball that is super low pop, and I think this might become the highest or only graded. Then PSA disappoints and the air is let out of all the fun of collecting.

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve started grading cards before I crack them to get them signed so I can grade them again. It’s not worth the risk and I’m usually only accurate +/- 2 grades.

I sent in 3 ‘78 Murray RCs thinking I had 2 9s and an 8 and I got a 7,8,9 run. The 9 was the one I thought was an 8 because of centering and now I’m worried it won’t regrade a 9 after. The juice ain’t worth the squeeze but there’s nothing else.

• Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 473 ✭✭✭

It seems to me that eBay card prices are being driven by people needing to recover their grading fees. I'm pretty sure PSA is making all the money in the hobby.