2»

Comments

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can remember when if you would have said that Strawberry and
    Gooden wouldn't make the HOF, you would have been barred from every
    card shop and show at the time. Same could be said for Dale Murphy
    and Don Mattingly.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it was really unfair for Strawberry to be compared to Ted Williams, especially when Darryl is an 18 year old high school player. His HS coach should have known better. Now a lot of people look back and say he had a disappointing career because of those high expectations.
    The fact is his career ops+ is 138 which is fantastic.

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    I think it was really unfair for Strawberry to be compared to Ted Williams, especially when Darryl is an 18 year old high school player. His HS coach should have known better. Now a lot of people look back and say he had a disappointing career because of those high expectations.
    The fact is his career ops+ is 138 which is fantastic.

That's an excellent point.

Frankly I've always found comparisons such as the "black" Ted Williams to be very distasteful.
    Why can't the guy just say the next Ted Williams if that's his opinion? Why does skin color have to come into play?

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is still hard for me to believe how Strawberries career ended up. check out his baseball reference page. look before 30 and after 30. Man, I wish he could have been both mentally and physically healthy during the mid to late 90s. He may have been the one to break Maris' record and get to 70 first and not big mac.

by age 30, he had 280 home runs. and that was during the poor offensive 80's the guy could have gone way over 600

what could have been

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    It is still hard for me to believe how Strawberries career ended up. check out his baseball reference page. look before 30 and after 30. Man, I wish he could have been both mentally and physically healthy during the mid to late 90s. He may have been the one to break Maris' record and get to 70 first and not big mac.

by age 30, he had 280 home runs. and that was during the poor offensive 80's the guy could have gone way over 600

what could have been

Him and Gooden were both so talented but they wanted to.party and do stupid things unfortunately

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also remember when the 84 fleer update Clemens and Puckett were scorching

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Retire his number? He's not a Hall of Famer. Odd.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• charliej2356charliej2356 Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

coolstanley: "Retire his number? He's not a Hall of Famer. Odd."

No, I don't believe it's "odd". I'm pretty sure that lots of teams (in various sports) retire the number of players who contributed in a huge way to the success/popularity of that team (especially when the success resulted in a championship).

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's a great card @JoeBanzai

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    that's a great card @JoeBanzai

Thanks! I am picking up his cards for a registry set. Had to get this one in a 10.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai That is a Fantastic looking Puckett. I always loved watching him play

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set