Home Sports Talk

Mets Retire Darryl Strawberry's No. 18

charliej2356charliej2356 Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

IMHO, Strawberry's 1984 Topps rookie card substantially contributed to the explosion of the hobby of collecting baseball cards. Sure, you could name a few other cards -- the Cal Ripken rookie in 1982, the Don Mattingly rookie in 1984, the Mark McGwire rookie in 1985, ... But Darryl Strawberry was on the short list of the biggest names in the hobby -- he was larger than life!

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say him and Dwight Gooden both were equally responsible

• charliej2356charliej2356 Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

Back in the mid 1980's, I'm pretty sure they used to play this song when Darryl would go deep at Shea Stadium.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzarjpK55_o

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Strawberry's 1984 Topps rookie card substantially contributed to the explosion of the hobby of collecting baseball cards."

Sorry I don't recall getting that memo. Perhaps in the NYC area? But to my recollection it was the McGwire rookie card that "substantially contributed to the explosion of the hobby of collecting baseball cards."

I'm not saying that Strawberry card didn't garner attention, of course it did. However everybody nationwide wanted that McGwire rookie card, not just the NYC area.

• ElMagoStrikeZoneElMagoStrikeZone Posts: 322 ✭✭✭

I thought the '86 Donruss Jose Canseco ruined the hobby. My memory, anyway. ;)

My Dad can beat up your Dad.

The 84 Topps Traded Gooden Rookie card was the most popular rookie card at that time, that's my opinion

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember watching a Braves vs Mets game at Shea Stadium on TBS and engrained in my mind forever is a homerun Straw hit off of Rick Mahler and I swear that ball is still flying in orbit somewhere in the galaxy! One of the furthest I have ever seen. Good on the Mets for doing this for Straw, long overdue in my opinion.

@perkdog said:
    The 84 Topps Traded Gooden Rookie card was the most popular rookie card at that time, that's my opinion

But did it "substantially contributed to the explosion of the hobby of collecting baseball cards"?

I don't recall that it did. Perhaps I'm remembering it wrong? I do have 5th stage Alzheimers, so now excuse me while I hop on my brontosaurus who will take me to the supermarket for vittles.

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

But did it "substantially contributed to the explosion of the hobby of collecting baseball cards"?

I don't recall that it did. Perhaps I'm remembering it wrong? I do have 5th stage Alzheimers, so now excuse me while I hop on my brontosaurus who will take me to the supermarket for vittles.

Honestly I think the Gooden card did in comparison to the McGwire USA card.

That's just how I remember it, obviously you could be correct though

Hard to pick just one card to explode the hobby.

Clemens
    Strawberry
    Canseco
    Gooden
    McGwire
    Mattingly
    Sandberg
    Boggs
    Gwynn
    Ripken

All those guys were influencers back.in the early 80's

I'd say 1984 or 85 is when they started overproducing the cards??

Sadly both Strawberry and Gooden, seemed to care more about the white powder than they did their playing careers.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Clemens
    Strawberry
    Canseco
    Gooden
    McGwire
    Mattingly
    Sandberg
    Boggs
    Gwynn
    Ripken

I'd probably bookend that list with Henderson & Griffey Jr, maybe even add Bo.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@charliej2356 said:

OK, here's one to tickle your funny bone: ****Darryl Strawberry phoned ME (in Maryland) in Nov/Dec of 1986.**** He only talked for about a minute or so and I distinctly remember him saying "God bless you and your family."
    Here's the rest of the story: Frank Cashen (GM for the Mets back then) was a graduate of Loyola College in Baltimore (and so am I). I sent a letter to Strawberry (through Cashen's executive secretary) -- and I sent it at the beginning of the off-season. Cashen sent me a letter, thanking me for being a big Mets fan -- and he obviously forwarded my note to Strawberry. My note to Strawberry compared his Home Run totals at that time to the top ten HR hitters of all time (when they were his age). Anyway, Darryl obviously appreciated my letter/note and called me at my home (I had included my name and number at the conclusion of my letter). BTW, Cashen also set me up with 8 free passes to his personal box, right next to the Mets dugout. That trip to Shea was a life-long memory -- and I met Darryl and Gary Carter, who both signed official baseballs that I brought to the game.

now this is a great story

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 630 ✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Clemens
    Strawberry
    Canseco
    Gooden
    McGwire
    Mattingly
    Sandberg
    Boggs
    Gwynn
    Ripken

I remember in 1981 Fleer and Donruss were flooding the market.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

@charliej2356 said:
    IMHO, Strawberry's 1984 Topps rookie card substantially contributed to the explosion of the hobby of collecting baseball cards. Sure, you could name a few other cards -- the Cal Ripken rookie in 1982, the Don Mattingly rookie in 1984, the Mark McGwire rookie in 1985, ... But Darryl Strawberry was on the short list of the biggest names in the hobby -- he was larger than life!

You’re exactly right with this post don’t worry about the naysayers telling you differently.
    Strawberry was hyped as the next Mickey Mantle before he ever played a game in mlb. And I’m not overstating that either, everyone who collected cards back then knew who he was because of all the hype, including me and my buddy and we bought many packs looking for Strawberry. I didnt know who Mattingly was until after the 84 season as there was no hype surrounding him. Goodens card was a year later so yes it was a rookie card to have but didn’t have the impact of Strawberry’s card.
    You can’t tell me anyone was putting away mcgwire rookies in 85 unless they were putting together Olympic team sets. The popularity of that card came a couple years later so he was late for the party. Those that came before, Boggs, Gwynn, Sandberg, Henderson…. their rookies gradually became popular as the years went by and collectors realized how great they were. But no explosive demand for their cards the year their rookie cards came out.

Strawberry’s rookie started the rookie card craze and like I said it was because of the mantle comparisons. Yes Gooden and the others were huge but Darryl started it all.

@pdoidoi said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Clemens
    Strawberry
    Canseco
    Gooden
    McGwire
    Mattingly
    Sandberg
    Boggs
    Gwynn
    Ripken

Neither one of those sets were very popular if I'm remembering correctly

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also remember a LOT of hype surrounding Strawberry. It seems as though I can remember of him being called the "Black Ted Williams" during the 80's, though like Stevek, I also have 5th stage Alzheimers...

Both his 84 Donruss and 83 topps traded were big big cards around my area when I was a kid.

I would call Strawberry a hobby hero back in the 80s

I got a chance to chat with him about 8 years ago. super nice guy who was gracious with his time.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Well from a Philly perspective, I don't recall anyone wanting to rush out to obtain a Darryl Strawberry rookie card. Let's tell it like it is. Back then unlike now, everything "New York" often got overblown and bigger than it actually was. Strawberry got the attention and hype because he was a New York player, and we all know it.

There may have been an "explosion of the hobby of collecting baseball cards" however it certainly wasn't caused by Darryl Strawberry or his rookie card. I can't list the precise timetables, but factors that spiked the interest in cards was cable TV enabling folks around the country to view a lot more MLB games. Also a growing economy back then with families having more disposable income to spend. And the growth of super-stores such as Walmart which made cards more affordable.

Ken Griffey Jr was mentioned. While he came later than Strawberry, nationwide he was much more popular than Darryl Strawberry ever was. But even Griffey Jr didn't cause an "explosion of the hobby of collecting baseball cards."

The "explosion", a real explosion, directly as a result of a specific player, came with the advent of Mark McGwire's record setting 65 home run season. Then he hit 70 the following season. It's debatable that after a devastating MLB strike a few seasons before, that it was McGwire's achievement that actually brought MLB back from the abyss that it was in.

What helped as well with the explosion of interest in baseball cards, getting back to cable TV, was the advent of home shopping networks. Guys such as Don West hawking baseball card deals. His shows along with Ken Goldin and others participating in the shows, were wildly popular. I watched them numerous times, mainly for the entertainment value, as I never made a purchase. But ya always sort of wanted to see the next deal that might make ya want to make a purchase - LOL.

BTW - on these baseball card shows, I can't recall any "deal" surrounding Darryl Strawberry cards. The deals were often around Mark McGwire, Ken Griffey Jr, and others. IE cards that collectors really wanted. If Darryl Strawberry had been so popular, these hawkers sure wouldn't have ignored him.

Craig…. You’re right this is from sports illustrated when strawberry was 18 and playing in high school

And Steve like I said when McGwire’s rookie card took off it was way after the rookie card explosion

If that’s not hype I don’t know what is….. comparing a high school player to Ted ballgame. And that hype translated to his rookie cards.

Good conversation guys. Here are a few more thoughts:
    Back in 1983/1984, there were just three baseball-card manufacturers (Topps, Fleer and Donruss). The wild popularity of guys like Strawberry, Gooden, McGwire, Ripken ushered in an era where new manufacturers started hitting the scene (e.g. Upper Deck). So, the Ken Griffey Jr rookie card (1989 Upper Deck) in no way started the card-collecting insanity (it started 5 or 6 years earlier). Yep, I'm sticking with my original contention: Strawberry's 1984 Topps rookie card substantially contributed to the explosion of the hobby of collecting baseball cards.

Turns out that yes indeed, Darryl Strawberry was the next Ted Williams. Minus the number of home runs, hits, batting average, etc. 😆

Darryl did have power to hit a long home run, but then again so did Dave Kingman. 😆

I'm not saying that Strawberry didn't have talent, of course he did. He had some excellent seasons. Some may even still say that Darryl could have been a Ted Williams if not for the white powder. Well that's his problem. Ted also lost time playing MLB, however that was due to gallantly serving our country in the armed forces.

stevek: I think you're missing the point. Again, Strawberry's 1984 Topps rookie card substantially contributed to the explosion of the hobby of collecting baseball cards. That says nothing about his numbers in comparison to those of Ted Williams or his power compared to that of Dave Kingman. Are you simply a hater? We can all get along, can't we?

I think that everyone on Perk's list each had a RC/XRC that played a large part into the 80's growth of popularity and which cards held more weight with you probably had to do with two factors:
    1. Which teams were in your area that you watched games and highlights of?
    2. Were you a part of the trading card hobby for the entire decade or did you enter the hobby during a specific year during the decade?

I grew up near Boston and got into collecting around 1986. At that time, the most popular 80's baseball cards in my area were in no particular order...
    Ripken's 82 RCs/TT
    Mattingly 83 RCs w/his 84 Donruss as the RC
    Strawberry 84 RCs w/his 84 Topps & Donruss as the best ones
    Gooden 85 RCs w/his 85 Donruss as the best one
    Clemens 85 RCs but his 84 Fleer Update was the big one
    Then you had those first two seasons of the Bash Brothers where Big Mac's 85 OLY and Canseco's 86 Donruss & Fleer RCs were huge.

I have two great memories of a couple first times for me back then..
    1. During my first ever trip to a card show I ran into a father of two brothers that I went to school with at the time and I traded for his 85 Topps Clemens RC that was autographed. Don't remember what I gave up for it or what ever happened with it but I do remember he was selling it for $30.
    2. Making a 15min walk to a basketball court on a Saturday morning to meet up with some friends from school and finding a $10 bill on the ground. After playing, some of us decided to make a 2hr trip to a card shop in the next town over, it was the first shop I had ever been too and I used most of the $10 on a pack of 86 Fleer baseball and hit the Canseco/Plunk M.L. Prospects RC. That was also the first time I ever saw sealed Star basketball sets, in the next year or two I went back for the Star 85 Lite All-Stars set and also a white versioned set of the 86 Star Celtics team. Good times.

@charliej2356 said:
    stevek: I think you're missing the point. Again, Strawberry's 1984 Topps rookie card substantially contributed to the explosion of the hobby of collecting baseball cards. That says nothing about his numbers in comparison to those of Ted Williams or his power compared to that of Dave Kingman. Are you simply a hater? We can all get along, can't we?

You're basing your opinion on some posted media article?

Well as you should know, the media, and sports media in particular, is notorious for proclaiming the next Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, etc. Sports Illustrated was infamous for doing this. Sells more magazines, and today it's done for click bait in which websites gain advertising revenue. Nothing inherently wrong with all that, it's business and marketing. However the hype must be taken with a grain of salt.

I base my opinion on the facts already presented. To summarize, the increased interest in card collecting had infinitely more to do with societal factors, and other star players combined, rather than Darryl Strawberry alone. While the amazing feat of Mark McGwire single handedly increased the interest, not only in MLB, but card collecting as well.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

i don't think anyone has mentioned Cecil Fielder

in the early 90s he was a white hot commodity

he played in old tiger stadium where every one of his home runs looked like they went 500 feet because they either banged off the upper deck or went over the roof

i went after every 86 RC that fat man had

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

edited June 3, 2024 2:42PM

So we’re talking about the rookie card explosion happening in the early, mid eighties and Steve is talking 1998-99. Steve try to at least understand the topic, rookie mania started long before McGwire’s home run record.
    I’ll amend what I’ve said to state maybe Joe Charboneau lit the fuse in 1981 and Ripken fanned the flames in 82 but the bomb went off in 84 with strawberry and again in 85 with Gooden and Mattingly.
    Yes 85 with Don because spring
    of 84 nobody knew him except yankee fans which was when his rookie card came out.
    The rest who came later kept it going but weren’t responsible for dropping the bomb.

@Darin said:
    So we’re talking about the rookie card explosion happening in the early, mid eighties and Steve is talking 1998-99. Steve try to at least understand the topic, rookie mania started long before McGwire’s home run record.
    I’ll amend what I’ve said to state maybe Joe Charboneau lit the fuse in 1981 and Ripken fanned the flames in 82 but the bomb went off in 84 with strawberry and again in 85 with Gooden and Mattingly.
    of 84 nobody knew him except yankee fans which was when his rookie card came out.
    The rest who came later kept it going but weren’t responsible for dropping the bomb.

I think that McGwire/Sosa 61 home run chase in 98/99 had more to do with the explosion of popularity in graded cards at the time than turning Mark's 85 OLY into a must have for collectors.

@Darin said:

You may not realize this because perhaps you don't collect vintage cards. But Topps has been designating rookie cards, "Rookie mania" as you call it, before Strawberry was ever born.

Rookie cards were popular then and they're popular now. Strawberry's rookie card may have been popular. However in no way, shape, or form did some card collecting "explosion" occur over it. In my view the premise is really quite silly.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

The explosion of the hobby as far as baseball card collecting is concerned and at what point card collecting became more of an "investment" and less of a just a hobby and at what point cards were becoming mass produced (and hoarded by collectors or "investors") was during the mid 1980s. That point is not really debatable.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

You may not realize this because perhaps you don't collect vintage cards. But Topps has been designating rookie cards, "Rookie mania" as you call it, before Strawberry was ever born.

Rookie cards were popular then and they're popular now. Strawberry's rookie card may have been popular. However in no way, shape, or form did some card collecting "explosion" occur over it. In my view the premise is really quite silly.

Yes I’m familiar with the history of Topps cards I’ve owned lots of vintage cards, not too many at the moment just a few of the all time greats like Aaron, Mantle, Clemente and even a Schmidt rookie.
    The rookie card explosion that did indeed happen in the 1980’s was a result of adults realizing they could make some good money speculating on rookies of mattingly, Henderson, straw, gooden, Gwynn, Ripken etc.
    It was no longer kids buying a couple packs hoping to pull the big names like mantle, Aaron, mays etc.
    you may deny the rookie card boom but it happened I was there and the real reason behind it…. money of course.
    Galaxy is just one example…. He mentioned he bought up every Cecil fielder he could get his hands on.
    I own 1500 1987 topps Bo Jackson’s myself along with 500 Will Clark’s.

Well I guess you’re the first rookie card boom denier I’ve ever come across but cheers to you.🍺

@grote15 said:
    The explosion of the hobby as far as baseball card collecting is concerned and at what point card collecting became more of an "investment" and less of a just a hobby and at what point cards were becoming mass produced (and hoarded by collectors or "investors") was during the mid 1980s. That point is not really debatable.

Grote thank you!
    I didn’t see your post before I started working on mine but you said it very well.
    Turns out Steve is a rookie card explosion denier. 🤔

• pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 630 ✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@pdoidoi said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Clemens
    Strawberry
    Canseco
    Gooden
    McGwire
    Mattingly
    Sandberg
    Boggs
    Gwynn
    Ripken

Neither one of those sets were very popular if I'm remembering correctly

I thought that might be the death of cards after they all came out in 1981. Maybe I just liked Topps too much and it cost of collecting 3 brands instead of one.

edited June 3, 2024 6:33PM

@Darin said:

@grote15 said:

Grote thank you!
    I didn’t see your post before I started working on mine but you said it very well.

You, the OP, and Grote are obviously Darryl Strawberry fans, and that's fine.

Go right ahead and keep believing if you wish that Darryl Strawberry has millions of other fans out there. Or that he had millions of fans when he first joined the Mets.

Well they're retiring his number, almost 25 years after his retirement? Count 'em 25 years. Even the Mets organization, waiting this long, couldn't have thought all too highly of Daryll.

Why now are the Mets suddenly retiring his number? I'll tell ya why. Because the Mets are already in the dumpster this season. While their crosstown rival Yankees are playing like possible champions. The Mets are obviously desperate to sell tickets. So why not have a Darryl Strawberry retirement night, and possibly put more desperately needed keisters in the seats.

Maybe next week the Mets will have a Marv Thrownberry retirement night. 😆

• bgrbgr Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭✭

I remember going after strawberry in packs. We usually traded him for more packs though so we could get Brewers players.

In 87 it was Boggs, Gwynn, Rickey who was on Yanks for a year or so now. Brett was big still. Higuera in Milwaukee. Yount, Moli

That was a fun time to collect.

I think Will Clark and Ruben Sierra were on my list in 88 and then 89 was all about Griffey and… Sheffield. Sandy Alomar Jr. I had stacks of that guy.

Building 89 upper deck and 90 leaf sets was fun. That 90 leaf Thomas was huge but that was maybe a year in.

edited June 3, 2024 6:52PM

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

@grote15 said:

Grote thank you!

Go right ahead and keep believing if you wish that Darryl Strawberry has millions of other fans out there. Or that he had millions of fans when he first joined the Mets.

Well they're retiring his number, almost 25 years after his retirement? Count 'em 25 years. Even the Mets organization, waiting this long, couldn't have thought all too highly of Daryll.

Why now are the Mets suddenly retiring his number? I'll tell ya why. Because the Mets are already in the dumpster this season. While their crosstown rival Yankees are playing like possible champions. The Mets are obviously desperate to sell tickets. So why not have a Darryl Strawberry retirement night, and possibly put more desperately needed keisters in the seats.

Steve, I'm not trying to take sides against you but Darryl Strawberry was a massively popular player to collect back in the mid 80's. Hell I'm from Massachusetts and the Mets destroyed many of our hopes a dreams in 1986 but I can tell you with the utmost confidence that we all.collected Strawberry cards,

McGwire became popular after Strawberry when he hit 49 HR's in 1987, that's when everyone was looking for his 85 Topps USA card,

Strawberry was popular before McGwire so wasn't Dwight Gooden

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

@grote15 said:

Grote thank you!

I'm not a Darryl Strawberry fan but when I got into collecting cards, the Sox and Mets were playing for the World Series and Strawberry's cards were huge, as were Gooden's (and Clemens.)

The answer to this debate is pretty obvious. We're all collecting packrats when it comes to this hobby and some card collector reading this thread has to have some those early editions of the Beckett baseball card monthly magazines, taking a quick look at the top 10 (or was it top 20?) cards of the month in one of the 86-89 mags should give us all an answer.

I've got some early basketball Beckett's w/MJ on top but no baseball. Maybe someone knows a site where a collector uploaded them online?

edited June 3, 2024 7:31PM

Beckett's website did a top 100 cards from the 1980's and Strawberry's 83TT was #13 one spot behind Cal Ripken's 82 Topps RC. Strawberry's 84 Topps RC was #34 and his 84 Fleer RC was #84. (sidenote, IMO 1984 Fleer is the best looking 80's set w/87 Fleer a close second)
    https://www.beckett.com/news/top-100-baseball-cards-of-the-1980s/

edit: Here's another link on Beckett reviewing the 1983 Topps Traded set and had this to say about the Strawberry card:
    Darryl Strawberry is easily the biggest card in the set. From a value perspective, it’s one of the only cards to carry any major significance. And that could even be a downplaying its historical popularity. Since its earliest days on the market, the 1983 Topps Traded Darryl Strawberry has been highly sought after. One could argue there’s been a bit of a roller coaster since following the ups and downs of the outfielder’s career, but it remains one of the most iconic 1980s baseball cards.
    https://www.beckett.com/news/1983-topps-traded-baseball-cards/

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

@grote15 said:

Grote thank you!

Steve, I'm not trying to take sides against you but Darryl Strawberry was a massively popular player to collect back in the mid 80's. Hell I'm from Massachusetts and the Mets destroyed many of our hopes a dreams in 1986 but I can tell you with the utmost confidence that we all.collected Strawberry cards,

McGwire became popular after Strawberry when he hit 49 HR's in 1987, that's when everyone was looking for his 85 Topps USA card,

Careful or he'll storm off again for another 3 years ;)

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@grote15 said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

@grote15 said:

Grote thank you!

Careful or he'll storm off again for another 3 years ;)

That was because of a moderator. I clearly stated that before leaving. I guess you missed it.

I've never left any forum because of a member. And I certainly wouldn't over anything you post. 😆

I googled Darryl Strawberry Fan Club. It came back "Why" 🤣

Seriously folks, there is a Darryl Strawberry Fan Page on Facebook.

Darryl Strawberry Fan Page
    Private group: 621 members

I'm surprised it has that many. Grote may be the executive vice president. 😆

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

@grote15 said:

Grote thank you!

I'm not doubting anything you say. My points were mainly addressed towards the OP's opening post which in my opinion, grossly over exaggerates the influence of Darryl Strawberry on the card collecting community. I've clearly stated my reasons why.

Did Strawberry have some influence? Of course he did. However that post, the way I read it, makes it seem like Strawberry is one of the GOAT players of card collecting. That's where I disagree.

Maybe the Mets could start playing Frank Sinatra songs during their home ballgames?

That way there might be some actual entertainment for the fans. 😆

@Darin said:
    Craig…. You’re right this is from sports illustrated when strawberry was 18 and playing in high school

And Steve like I said when McGwire’s rookie card took off it was way after the rookie card explosion

holy cow, the old memory still works!!!!

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

Yes I’m familiar with the history of Topps cards I’ve owned lots of vintage cards, not too many at the moment just a few of the all time greats like Aaron, Mantle, Clemente and even a Schmidt rookie.
    The rookie card explosion that did indeed happen in the 1980’s was a result of adults realizing they could make some good money speculating on rookies of mattingly, Henderson, straw, gooden, Gwynn, Ripken etc.
    It was no longer kids buying a couple packs hoping to pull the big names like mantle, Aaron, mays etc.
    you may deny the rookie card boom but it happened I was there and the real reason behind it…. money of course.
    Galaxy is just one example…. He mentioned he bought up every Cecil fielder he could get his hands on.

Well I guess you’re the first rookie card boom denier I’ve ever come across but cheers to you.🍺

OK, I have a couple of comments on your post.

1. you hit it spot on about adults realizing the $ that could be made from rookie cards. the mid 80's were full of speculators. I would say the 84 Donruss Mattingly led the charge, but on its heels were the 2 big Mets rookies, Clemens, Mcgwire etc. the earliest indicators that this was happening were the 77 Fidrych and the 81 super Joe and Venezuala rookies. things caught fire around 84-85. I also remember dealers having "lots" of hot rookies. like 100 87 topps ruben sierra's or mike greenwells.

2. I have to add here, that as members of the George Brett fan club, we are not to speak of Mike Schmidt or his rookie cards in public. those topics are for behind closed doors...

Great discussion guys. I think it's kinda fun to think back on days gone by.

I'd like to suggest that this Billy Joel song is good background music for reading this thread:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp0_VsQccIA

@craig44 said:

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

1. you hit it spot on about adults realizing the $ that could be made from rookie cards. the mid 80's were full of speculators. I would say the 84 Donruss Mattingly led the charge, but on its heels were the 2 big Mets rookies, Clemens, Mcgwire etc. the earliest indicators that this was happening were the 77 Fidrych and the 81 super Joe and Venezuala rookies. things caught fire around 84-85. I also remember dealers having "lots" of hot rookies. like 100 87 topps ruben sierra's or mike greenwells.

2. I have to add here, that as members of the George Brett fan club, we are not to speak of Mike Schmidt or his rookie cards in public. those topics are for behind closed doors...

I hear that Topps is coming out with a pine tar coated George Brett card. How they are going to get it to not stick to the wrapper, I'll never know. 😉

I love George Brett -- he's my all-time favorite athlete!

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

I hear that Topps is coming out with a pine tar coated George Brett card. How they are going to get it to not stick to the wrapper, I'll never know. 😉

maybe they will bring back the wax paper. wax paper will peel right off from that pine tar!!!

@charliej2356 said:
    I love George Brett -- he's my all-time favorite athlete!

I actually like George Brett as well.

But I always wondered why as a player he could never afford a decent haircut? 💈

• ElMagoStrikeZoneElMagoStrikeZone Posts: 322 ✭✭✭

To defer, slightly....Strawman was definitely a catalyst when it came to the boom, but I stand by my contention that Canseco was also a driving force behind the Rookie craze, and that was here in SOUTHERN California where Darryl grew up and helped create a new identity for the sport.

The other card worth mentioning is the '88 Topps Gretzky jersey card - not baseball nor rookie - however, it spawned yet another wave of card insanity which eventually found its way to his actual rookie cards as they skyrocketed in value while he was an L.A. King.

There's a story for almost any region as to how the card business transitioned from "hobby" to hot money.

My Dad can beat up your Dad.