Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Sad Story of My Numismatic Friend

2»

Comments

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2024 7:18PM

Mr. Carr.

Your story about your friend Jim is both sad and uplifting.

Sad because of the difficulties of Jim's life. For anyone misfortune can strike at anytime, leaving one unable or unwilling to cope and overcome.

Uplifting because of the care, devotion, concern, help, assistance and love you had and gave to your friend.

A shared interest in coins is a foundational pillar of a life long relationship and bond between you both; and in Jim's dark hours coins were a lifeline running from you to him.

Kudos and props to you for being there for your friend.

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

But for the grace of God ...

I've read it thrice now over the last 24 hours ... Jim was a lucky man to have known you Dan ... and I think maybe you were lucky to have known him too. Funny how the universe works that way. May your friend rest in peace.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2024 2:08AM

Thanks everyone for the eloquent responses.

I have no regrets. It is unfortunate that Jim had the addition problems. I still wonder "what if ?", but there was not really anything that would have helped.

There were times when I wouldn't hear from Jim for a year or two at a time. I often assumed that he was dead. I am actually quite surprised that he made it to the age of 64. The items he collected became a financial lifeline for him in difficult times. If not for the hobby, I doubt that he would have made it to 50.

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wanted to just add:
    If anyone here is suffering from drugs, alcohol, or any other addiction, PLEASE reach out to me if you need a someone who understands. You can PM me and we can switch to emails for privacy, or whatever you want, (except social media please).

One of the hardest parts of addiction is the suffering in silence. The fear of judgment, the shame, the stigma, the disgust, the emptiness and despair, etc. are the biggest barriers to getting help. I’ve lived through it all in the most public and private of ways. I promise you that if I can survive it, you can too - if you’re ready. We can talk about coins too!!!

We’re a fraternity here and we must look out for each other. (Yes! That includes the ladies as well.). If this is against the forum rules please accept my most humble apologies and please delete. Thank you.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file