Home U.S. Coin Forum

Any tips on how to tell if damage is due to the making of coin or after. For instance this 1919 slash out the front and indents on back. Assume its damage while in circulation but appreciate experienced opinion.

Tagged:

Comments

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damaged after minting.

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2024 9:13PM

@Hoardt1 said:
    Any tips on how to tell if damage is due to the making of coin or after.

For starters:

Describe how a slash and indents might be produced during the normal minting process.

Describe how a slash and indents might be produced by whacking the coin with something sharp at any point in the last 105 years.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pmd, sorry

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD---Post Mintage Damage possibly from spending time in a Walmart parking lot.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jonathanb said:

@Hoardt1 said:
    Any tips on how to tell if damage is due to the making of coin or after.

For starters:

Describe how a slash and indents might be produced during the normal minting process.

Describe how a slash and indents might be produced by whacking the coin with something sharp at any point in the last 105 years.

Good luck. Homework is for us to do, not him.

• Slade01Slade01 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

Learn the mint process in detail during the relevant time period and look at the injury to the coin and the answer will be evident. One must understand the process to know what can happen. As a friend says, if we see a new car with a broken windshield, do we assume that it came from the assembly line that way?

• @Manifest_Destiny thought the whole purpose of a discussion board was to learn from those with knowledge and expertise and discuss said things. If that is not the case as education teaches us there is always more to educate on and why would you not pull from all the knowledge on this board. Im sure you have never asked for advice or opinion in your life as you wouldn’t want to burden those with such thing your a scholar and only learn from research.

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hoardt1 Discussion is a two way street. I tried to start a discussion with my response above. You are free to criticize anyone you like, but don't expect folks to take you seriously unless you engage in the discussion you ask for.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your question is a fair one and you were given some very constructive advice.

Take a "stab" at explaining how you think the anomaly was created. You'll get feedback and it will help further the learning process.

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2024 7:08PM

@Hoardt1 said:
    Any tips on how to tell if damage is due to the making of coin or after. For instance this 1919 slash out the front and indents on back. Assume its damage while in circulation but appreciate experienced opinion.

As a general rule, anything "indented" into the surface of a coin is most likely to be post-mint damage. That's because a coin die is the mirror-image of the coin that comes from it: high points on the coin are low points on the die, and vice-versa.

So a "dint" in the coin, for it to be a mint error, would need to have been caused by a "lump" on the die. And getting lumps on a die is much, much harder than getting chips and dints in a die (which would create raised lumps on a coin), because dies are made from toughened steel and don't simply acquire "lumps" of metal attached to them.

Now, there are rare mint error phenomena that can cause "dints" in a coin, that aren't related to the die. Struck-through-object and planchet flaws, for example. These tend to have very distinctive appearances, which your coin lacks. For example, if a coin is struck through a piece of wire, it might look similar to the dint around "LIBERTY". But a strikethrough doesn't leave behind a "lip" of displaced metal around the hole, while a "deep scratch" (PMD) does. And your dint has a lip of displaced metal.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hoardt1 said:
    @Manifest_Destiny thought the whole purpose of a discussion board was to learn from those with knowledge and expertise and discuss said things. If that is not the case as education teaches us there is always more to educate on and why would you not pull from all the knowledge on this board. Im sure you have never asked for advice or opinion in your life as you wouldn’t want to burden those with such thing your a scholar and only learn from research.

Sure, but at some point you have to put in a good faith effort to learn. Don't be like the guy at work who always asks for "help" but never seems to learn anything.

Also, the other issue that some people take exception with, including me, is that coins like the one you posted are obviously damaged to anyone with common sense. No one looks at a wrecked car and wonders if it's a rare factory error. If you genuinely think it's an error from the mint, and you are acting in good faith here on the forum, then you need to explain why you think it's an error and how you think it happened. Plenty of people here would be glad to engage in a good faith discussion with you.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2024 8:55AM

The only way something resembling this could happen at the mint would be if a foreign material were on the dies when it was struck. It’s called a “struck through.” This looks like no struck through I have ever seen. Unfortunately it is post mint damage.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post mint damage

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file