Home U.S. Coin Forum

You OK with a green bean ?

JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like poor tooling to me, then again I’m wrong more times than right.

Comments

• BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭

They're ok, but I prefer broccoli.

The coin above appears to be tooled.

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see what you see.
    The eye? Looks engraved.

peacockcoins

• BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    I see what you see.
    The eye? Looks engraved.

I think the OP is referring to the outline of the bust, particularly the nose/lip area.

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BustHalfBrian said:

@braddick said:
    I see what you see.
    The eye? Looks engraved.

I think the OP is referring to the outline of the bust, particularly the nose/lip area.

@JimTyler said:

@braddick said:
    I see what you see.
    The eye? Looks engraved.

I’m looking along the face down to the nose. Looks like it is outlined then they sneezed when they got to the nose.

I see all of that, just adding information about the eye.

peacockcoins

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should GC pull the auction and implement the cac guarantee? Kinda similar in circumstance to that cac $10 Indian with the significant reverse scratch that Ian handled swiftly after it was brought to his attention.

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin Photographer.

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone gave up early on a hobo project.
    :D

• Baylor8670Baylor8670 Posts: 54 ✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2024 6:42PM

Question from not an expert - How would the marks on OP's coin visually compare to a tooling mark made by the mint?

• Baylor8670Baylor8670 Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

@Baylor8670 said:
    Question from not an expert - How would the marks on OP's coin visually compare to a tooling mark made by the mint?

Tooling marks made by the mint would be raised as they'd be scratching into the dies, leaving a void that the metal would fill, as opposed to tooling marks made after the fact, digging into the surfaces, and moving/removing metal.

Gracias. Makes sense. Similar to die polish lines in that regard.

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can anyone present this coin to JA and ask for his comments on way it stickered?
    Would like to hear why

• jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Face and forehead look as though those areas have been tooled possibly to strengthen the outline of her nose. There certainly is damage to the tip of her nose. My coin in comparison, same variety B-5, with undamaged, prominent nose.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the type of coin that I wouldn't mind owning at the right price. It has minor issues that apparently didn't bother NGC and CAC too much.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

@TomB, by the way, exceptionally nice 1795 Flowing hair B5 variety. Are we talking VF35 0r a 40 grade? And straight graded?

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2024 5:34AM

Wish the obverse was as nice as the reverse. I could never get past that schnoz

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    This is the type of coin that I wouldn't mind owning at the right price. It has minor issues that apparently didn't bother NGC and CAC too much.

People are different. I hate tooling. I wouldn't touch it. I'd rather have a coin that is cleaned or has mild ED.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:
    Mild ED . Would a blue pill fix it ?

Not usually.

Lol. I have the same reaction every time someone else uses the abbreviation.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never even held any of these coins in my hand and certainly do not have a firm grapse of what can occur to dies but here is a comparison of this coin with another that has similar appearance and graded VG10. Both coins show the nose tips beyond the damage? for lack of a better term. Most of the CoinFacts examples have a sharper nose without the appearance of tooling. Perhaps if I had held dozens of these coins, I might have an understanding that this occurred in some fashion and their may be more out there. JMO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think I would want the GC coin, scratches or not. Now, TomB's coin, that one I would buy! Tom, let me know what you want for it while I check how much home equity I can tap. :D

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    I've never even held any of these coins in my hand and certainly do not have a firm grapse of what can occur to dies but here is a comparison of this coin with another that has similar appearance and graded VG10. Both coins show the nose tips beyond the damage? for lack of a better term. Most of the CoinFacts examples have a sharper nose without the appearance of tooling. Perhaps if I had held dozens of these coins, I might have an understanding that this occurred in some fashion and their may be more out there. JMO
    Jim

Jim, in case it makes a difference, your comparison coin is a half dollar, whereas the subject coin is a dollar.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

I don’t have a problem being in a no problem slab. Many early coins get a pass for some issues but CAC is suppose to weed them out.

@JimTyler said:
    I don’t have a problem being in a no problem slab. Many early coins get a pass for some issues but CAC is suppose to weed them out.

If you think a portion of the obverse portrait was tooled and you’re OK with the coin in a straight grade holder, at what point would you draw the line?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

Maybe I’m wrong, but I think your comparison of the two portraits is as different as apples and oranges. The portraits are different, due to them not being the same Bolender die variety. So I believe there would be no correlation to these dissimilar coins in comparison.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2024 7:21AM

Tooling or engraving is unacceptable to me. I would pass.. bean or no bean.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin should have not passed for a straight grade at both services.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

@jfriedm56 said:

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

Maybe I’m wrong, but I think your comparison of the two portraits is as different as apples and oranges. The portraits are different, due to them not being the same Bolender die variety. So I believe there would be no correlation to these dissimilar coins in comparison.

As I posted previously, the comparison coin is a half dollar, not a dollar. As such, it wouldn’t be a Bolender variety.

edited May 25, 2024 7:18AM

@MFeld said:

@JimTyler said:

If you think a portion of the obverse portrait was tooled and you’re OK with the coin in a straight grade holder, at what point would you draw the line?

My line is crossed, I wouldn’t buy it. My issue from the start was CAC bean. Many won’t even take a close look they feel it’s been done for them. Question is did CAC see the problem and stilled beaned it or did they miss it.

@JimTyler said:

@MFeld said:

@JimTyler said:

My line is crossed, I wouldn’t buy it.

Sorry I wasn’t clear in my question - even if you knew you wouldn’t buy the coin, at what point would you not be OK with a straight grade? In other words, if not tooling, what would be unacceptable?

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2024 7:46AM

Tooling in CAC-stickered coins surprises people? I've seen very minor tooling on two of my CAC-stickered coins such as fine scratching at black spots and smoothing out of a cut.

3 rim nicks away from Good

@MFeld said:

@JimTyler said:

@MFeld said:

@JimTyler said:

Sorry I wasn’t clear in my question - even if you knew you wouldn’t buy the coin, at what point would you not be OK with a straight grade? In other words, if not tooling, what would be unacceptable?

I shouldn’t have said I don’t have a problem. It shouldn’t be in that holder like many other problem coins. I only was concerned about the bean.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... looks like someone cut off Ms. Liberty's nose... to spite her face, perhaps?

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

@JimTyler said:

@MFeld said:

@JimTyler said:

@MFeld said:

@JimTyler said:

I shouldn’t have said I don’t have a problem. It shouldn’t be in that holder like many other problem coins. I only was concerned about the bean.

Thank you.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@jfriedm56 said:

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

As I posted previously, the comparison coin is a half dollar, not a dollar. As such, it wouldn’t be a Bolender variety.

Mark,
    My point was that their could have been die work done that could have caused this without being pmd/tooling. Did not mean to say these dies were the same. Just comparing the looks between the two nose areas that were both still graded. Just a thought and in no way meant to say it was a factual premise.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

@JimTyler said:

Let’s say this coin wasn’t cac stickered, would it be ok in the straightgrade NGC holder? I think NGC bears at least some responsibility here for starting the screw up.

@1madman said:

@JimTyler said:

Let’s say this coin wasn’t cac stickered, would it be ok in the straightgrade NGC holder? I think NGC bears at least some responsibility here for starting the screw up.

We’ve already hashed this out. I said I shouldn’t have said no problem with the holder I was thinking about the sticker.

• MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:
    I just had a conversation with JA about this. He said that it certainly looks suspicious in those photos, and he wants to look at the coin in hand to confirm. He's going to call Ian now, and if the coin is actually tooled then obviously CAC will eat it, and buy it back from the consignor. He wouldn't put his sticker on a coin that's knowingly tooled, but he is human and there is a possibility that it was missed the first time around.

Curious what he would do with the coin if he sees it unfit for the sticker.
    Pulls the bean, breaks it out and puts it in one of his holders with problems noted and sends it down the road?

Derek

EAC 6024
  • skier07skier07 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it okay to bash a coin that’s actively for sale if we disagree with the grade or think the coin has issues based on a few pictures? I know if this was my coin I wouldn’t be very happy and this thread certainly isn’t going to help the seller.

edited May 25, 2024 8:52AM

@skier07 said:
    Is it okay to bash a coin that’s actively for sale if we disagree with the grade or think the coin has issues based on a few pictures? I know if this was my coin I wouldn’t be very happy and this thread certainly isn’t going to help the seller.

We just might be getting his fat out of the fire. There are guarantees
    Edited. Bid just went up $150 we’re not that influential

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:

What about the buyer/bidder? Shouldn't he/she be protected, as well?

I believe that this is the right/ethical thing to do,

This also helps to protect and promote Ian's reputation, too.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

@Moldnut said:

@DeplorableDan said:
    I just had a conversation with JA about this. He said that it certainly looks suspicious in those photos, and he wants to look at the coin in hand to confirm. He's going to call Ian now, and if the coin is actually tooled then obviously CAC will eat it, and buy it back from the consignor. He wouldn't put his sticker on a coin that's knowingly tooled, but he is human and there is a possibility that it was missed the first time around.

Curious what he would do with the coin if he sees it unfit for the sticker.
    Pulls the bean, breaks it out and puts it in one of his holders with problems noted and sends it down the road?

I chuckled about this and figured he would just write the check to the seller, and tell Ian scrape the bean off and sell that p.o.s again in the same NGC holder on a new auction.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file