Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The 1924 Huguenot-Walloon Half Dollar: A Terrific “Roaring ‘20s” Commemorative

The 1924 Huguenot-Walloon Half Dollar was struck to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the Huguenots and Walloons settling America’s “middle states.” Interestingly, the figures featured on the obverse, William the Silent and Gaspard de Coligny, died decades before the voyage of the Nieuw Nederlandt. Regardless of grade, this coin is a fantastic addition to any collection and is necessary for completing the 50- or 144-coin U.S. classic commemorative PCGS Registry Sets. And when it comes right down to it, the 1924 Huguenot-Walloon Half Dollar is a historic and beautiful coin that is both relatively affordable and widely available.

Full article: https://www.pcgs.com/news/a-terrific-roaring-20s-commemorative

Comments

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are hard to find nice, at least in my experience.

• Options
    Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 415 ✭✭✭✭

Ships just look great on coins! My daughter used to call ours the “Huge Balloons money” when she was little and learning to talk. Thanks for bringing me back down memory lane and a good brief introduction to this coin.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice looking coin.

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,682 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotta love those pointed beards

• Options

@jt88 said:
    nice looking coin.

No doubt a Phil-era photo

• Options
    WiscKauWiscKau Posts: 93 ✭✭✭

1924 Huguenot-Walloon Tercentenary Half Dollar

In February thru April, 1924, 142,080 pieces were coined at the Philadelphia Mint with 80 pieces reserved for annual assay and 87,000 sold for a $1 each to the public. A quantity of 55,000 pieces went back to the Treasury Department, which placed the coins into circulation. Designed by George T. Morgan chief engraver of the mint, used designs suggested by Dr. John Baer Stoudt (a Numismatist-LG). Distributed by the National Huguenot-Walloon New Netherland Commission, Inc., Rev. John Baer Stoudt, director. Associated with the Federal Council of Churches of Christ in America. A coin in my collection.

Approved by Congress on February 26, 1923 and issued in commemoration of the three hundredth anniversary of the settling of New Netherland, the Middle States, in 1624, by Walloons, French and Belgian Huguenots, under the Dutch West India Company.

Coin Description:
    Obverse: Profiles of Admiral Coligny and William the Silent, with their names, in small letters, below. Inscription above, ‘United States of America.’ Below, ‘Huguenot Half Dollar.’ To right of busts, ‘In God We Trust.’

Reverse: Ship Nieu Netherland, in which the first 30 families of settlers came to New York, with the dates at the sides, 1624 and 1924. Inscription above, Huguenot-Walloon Tercentenary. Below, Founding of New Netherland.

In February thru April, 1924, 142,080 pieces were coined at the Philadelphia Mint with 80 pieces reserved for annual assay and 87,000 sold for a $1 each to the public. A quantity of 55,000 pieces went back to the Treasury Department, which placed the coins into circulation.1 Designed by George T. Morgan chief engraver of the mint who used designs suggested by Dr. John Baer Stoudt. Distributed by The National Huguenot-Walloon New Netherland Commission, Inc., Rev. John Baer Stoudt, director. Associated with the Federal Council of Churches of Christ in America.

1. Cf. p. 29 of Coinage of Commemorative 50-cent pieces (U.S. Government Printing Office, 1936) and a letter from Secretary of the Treasury Andrew W. Mellon to Hon. Randolph Perkins, chairman of the House Committee on Coinage, Weights and Measures, January 31, 1930, which states that 55,000 were returned to the mint and then placed into circulation.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:

That’s a nice one!

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2024 9:06PM

Here’s mine - sorry the photo is not sharp:

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now it is 400 years.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file