Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Funny note in proof set

spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had forgotten about this 1958 proof set I bought a while back. The envelope was opened but not the coins. The coins look great, but what made me laugh was the note inside.

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Standard enclosure back then.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen these before and always thought it might indicate that the US Mint was getting negative feedback from its contemporary clients when they received the sets, so this was a preemptive attempt to explain a common issue.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's sure something to keep with the set....

• Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

Some info I found that coincides with the date of your proof set:

Rae v. Biester was the superintendent of the U.S. Mint in Philadelphia from 1956 to 1961. She was the first woman to hold that position and the second woman to head a U.S. Mint facility.

She lived to 91

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigAl said:
    Some info I found that coincides with the date of your proof set:

Rae v. Biester was the superintendent of the U.S. Mint in Philadelphia from 1956 to 1961. She was the first woman to hold that position and the second woman to head a U.S. Mint facility.

She lived to 91

Very cool!

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

These were included in every set for the first several years of this type of packaging.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

These were included with many of the flat pack sets. They came in different colors. I should get into my sets and do a survey.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭✭✭

These have been included in all the early flat pack sets to quell collector's concerns of spotting, toning and hairlines commonly found in this era's proof coins. I'm sure there were many complaints from '56-'64. And they do come in different colored paper.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2024 7:26AM

A standard note in those packages during that era. The only unusual thing to me is yours is on green paper, though I suspect they used whatever color they had. Given the rampant speculation and upward spiral in the number of sets ordered the mint in Philadelphia must have been inundated with queries and complaints or concerns.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file