Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBay 1928 [P] Peace Dollar - obvious replica but seller disagrees and so does eBay

dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 22, 2024 1:02PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I was looking at recent eBay prices realized for 1928 [P] Peace Dollars.

I saw this one that sold for $250 and I sent a message to the seller that it was a poor fake and probably silver plated at best:
https://ebay.com/itm/256487174434

I also reported it to eBay as a violation of listing policies (replica coins not disclosed as such).

The seller replied with this message:

Coin is not counterfeit, it's not silver plated, it's been cleaned just like the description stated, you can return the coin for a refund.

I am not the one who bought it, of course.

eBay sent this automated reply:

Hello specie-man,
Thanks again for reporting the listing(s) you found.

What happened:
We looked into your report and didn’t find the listing to be in violation of our policy. This determination was made using automation or artificial intelligence.

Comments

• Options
    Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

Definitely a counterfeit. Grainy surfaces give it away.

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can’t fix stupid

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭✭

It's not in eBay's best interests to take listings down since if it does so, it will be losing it's percentage of the sale. Certainly, a conflict of interest.

Davidk7 mentions grainy services. What you think about this one? Real or fake?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/116182960955

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

AI never makes mistakes. >:)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2024 3:01PM

@Glen2022 said:
    It's not in eBay's best interests to take listings down since if it does so, it will be losing it's percentage of the sale. Certainly, a conflict of interest.

Genuine.

peacockcoins

• Options
    MrScienceMrScience Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

ugh - did Liberty get punched in the nose?

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Glen2022 said:

It looks genuine, but with some environmental degradation (possibly corrosion which was partially removed by cleaning).

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

I reported a fake gold buffalo in a fake pcgs holder the other day, and I actually had a customer service rep look at the auction and still deny it was a problem. It’s tiring leading the blind on that website. Here’s their response:

“What happened:
    We looked into your report and didn’t find the listing to be in violation of our policy. This determination was made by a customer service agent.

If you reported content that isn’t listed below, we’ll send a separate email once we’ve made a decision.

Your reference ID:
    2-177827003364

Here are the listings you reported that are included in this decision:
    Item: 387003090761 2018 $50 Gold Buffalo PCGS MS70 First Strike 1 oz .999 - First Day Issue

Thank you for being part of the eBay community.
    Thanks,
    eBay”

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Flagrantly counterfeit.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:
    I reported a fake gold buffalo in a fake pcgs holder the other day, and I actually had a customer service rep look at the auction and still deny it was a problem. It’s tiring leading the blind on that website. Here’s their response:

“What happened:
    We looked into your report and didn’t find the listing to be in violation of our policy. This determination was made by a customer service agent.

If you reported content that isn’t listed below, we’ll send a separate email once we’ve made a decision.

Your reference ID:
    2-177827003364

Item: 387003090761 2018 $50 Gold Buffalo PCGS MS70 First Strike 1 oz .999 - First Day Issue

Thanks,
    eBay”

must have been poofed

look like this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/387008662328

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@1madman said:

“What happened:

Your reference ID:
    2-177827003364

Thanks,
    eBay”

must have been poofed

look like this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/387008662328

Yes very similar to the one you listed. This is really becoming an issue when AI has no clue how to operate, and living breathing human beings are embracing this unethical fraudulent behavior by their seller base. Ebay is becoming the Wild West with their employees/policies.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s such a fake it’s ridiculous! It’s laughable 🤪

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

They seem to be running on auto-pilot these days, did some investment firm take them over and cut back on quality control personnel? I reported an ebay issue to the state attorney general and they just responded with a formulaic letter.

• Options
    jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 335 ✭✭✭

I like eBay as another avenue to find what I'm looking for but I think that trying to do anything about the fakes on there is a waste of time these days. Once eBay starts caring then maybe I will but until then its caveat emptor more than ever.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's genuine!!! Authentic product from the Temu Mint.

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find that I have to report things 2 or 3 times. The first one or two get the automated a-OK the second or third time I never hear back?

• Options

Wow on them.

I just put it together from scratch. Numismatic Metals !
    Vintage is Jaycoinshop.com (Both same just different flavors?) On Collector's Corner

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reported, FWIW.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file