Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1817 13 Stars Large Cent

AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m much more focused on the Draped Bust series but I like this coin. I see a few small gouges and a small rim bump but think it could go 30. What do you think? (For sale on our local version of eBay. No opportunity to see in hand.)

Smitten with DBLCs.

Comments

• Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 537 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice coin for an album. Looks like an old cleaning.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with the others.
    Looks to have maybe had some kind of smoothing done, then later AT’d, but a meaty coin with VF details for a budget album.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree as well... VF details with microporous surfaces and darkly toned.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Coins4EliCoins4Eli Posts: 16 ✭✭

N-15 is a fairly scarce variety at R4, (116 to 160 estimated survivors). I would jump on it if you have the chance, if the price is right. I have a feeling that it would not straight grade at a TPG, with the marks below the chin and the questionable surfaces. Overall it's a nice coin, and would fit well into a set. :)

Member of Early American Coppers (EAC), American Numismatic Association (ANA), and Missouri Numismatic Society (MNS). Specializing in early American copper by die variety.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not pay a premium for this piece because of the die variety. That is a very specialized market, and you have to know the people to sell the coin to, if it were to come to that. As the others have said, the color is odd, and I don't think that it would get a straight grade from a legitimate TPG. For a price, it would be a good "album coin."

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent input. Thanks everyone. We'll see how the auction goes.

Smitten with DBLCs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file