Home U.S. Coin Forum

Which US Nickel Album...

lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been gathering up Meghrig albums with Wayte Raymond boards for Large Cents, but I also acquired and album with extra boards for nickels. So, my question: which set can reasonably be done with all VF-AU coins. I know the 1879 and 1880 Shield Nickels are prohibitive... ditto 1885 and 1912-S... Any other thoughts, comments, observations welcome...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Which US Nickel Album...

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liberty Nickels

Lib nickels are by far easier in that range.
    Buffalo Nickels there are just so many and several key dates. The 1880 shield nickel is a class of its own.

In VF, you're looking at ~3k for Lib Nickels, ~6k for Buffs, or ~10k for Shield Nickels.

In AU the Buffs have several key dates that start adding up and its probably nearly a wash for an AU buff set and Shield nickels, with the Lib nickels running around 50% less and by far the easiest to find.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liberty Nickels

And I think that's why I thought about, laughed about and forgot about ever completing Shield and Buff nickel sets. :/:s 😫

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buffalo Nickels

Buffalos aren’t as bad as they seem in lower grades. That is my first choice. Liberty head would be second.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

edited May 22, 2024 7:37AM
    Liberty Nickels

@Walkerfan said:
    Buffalos aren’t as bad as they seem in lower grades. That is my first choice. Liberty head would be second.

But the OP is talking about VF-AU coins. You still feel the same way?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shield Nickels

I voted shields because they look the best when worn, so if you have to compromise on the 1879 and 1880, then it won't detract from the look of the other coins.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shield Nickels

I voted shield because I've come to respect the series much more than I used to.

• LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always found shield nickel to be just a wee bit smaller in diameter than all other nickels and spin like a top in a nickel album.

I’m not sure if that would bother you, it really did bother me.

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shield Nickels

@LanLord said:
    I always found shield nickel to be just a wee bit smaller in diameter than all other nickels and spin like a top in a nickel album.

They are smaller.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shield Nickels

@LanLord said:

Yeah, they're 20mm vs 21.2mm for other nickels. A shield nickel specific album should hold them correctly though.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanLord said:

Yeah, I'm running into a similar problem with early large cents. There's a bit of variation in planchet size and the earlier dates move a little. It's a little annoying at this point... hopefully it won't become something I cant see past. I also have this issue with my 7070 Dansco LC's.

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
    Buffalo Nickels

@OAKSTAR said:

@Walkerfan said:

Yes, easier than mint state.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,838 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liberty Nickels

It all depends upon your budget. I can easily afford the 1885 and the 1912-S nickels. I have the 1912-S in an MS-65 holder. I wanted it because it was one of the first branch mint made nickels. The 1912-D was first. The 1912-S nickels were all made during the last week in December 1912. Coins that scare me are things like a 1799 Large Cent in decent condition. That one is a problem for me.

You might be surprised to find how hard it is to find some coins in VF-AU. The Great Depression killed a lot of those coins. They are often in AG to Good or Mint State.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    edited May 22, 2024 11:49AM
    Buffalo Nickels

@BillJones said:
    You might be surprised to find how hard it is to find some coins in VF-AU. The Great Depression killed a lot of those coins. They are often in AG to Good or Mint State.

Yes, Walkers are like that, too. Finding an MS key date is not too difficult if you have the funds and are willing to pay up, but finding an XF/AU, especially a good one, is more than a notion.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liberty Nickels

Make sure the pages aren't for Shield nickels. If they are, Liberty and Buffalo nickels won't fit.

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buffalo Nickels

I voted for Buffalo nickels, but not so much because it would be more reasonable/achievable than the other 2 choices, but mainly because I think the Buffalo Nickels design would make the album look great. The design for the other 2 aren’t as impressive looking as Buffalo nickels. Especially the key dates for the V nickels, they always look bad in circulated grades. The shield nickels design is just too boring compared to Buffalos

Mr_Spud

Liberty Nickels

@Walkerfan said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Walkerfan said:

Okay, thanks.

Buffalo Nickels

@OAKSTAR said:

@Walkerfan said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Walkerfan said:

Okay, thanks.

I guess I should say less expensive.

I have the Wayte Raymond pages for each specific Type. Shield nickels are all on one page... Liberty's take two pages... and Buffalo Nickels take three...

Maybe I'll try to fit coins from my 7070 to see how they work...

Well... I think I'm going to keep the Liberty Nickel and Buffalo Nickel boards and work on those low key. These "National Coin Albums" fit 5 boards... 2 for Libertys and 3 for Buffalo Nickels. The Buffalo nickel Boards only have holes for date and mint marks... no varieties... no 16DDO, no over-dates, and no 3-legger, so it should be a bit easier to complete... Thanks for those that offered an opinion. Best, Leo

edited May 23, 2024 12:07PM
    Buffalo Nickels

That should make a great set. I’m in the process of converting Mrs_Spud’s Barber Dimes, Mercury Dimes and Roosevelt Dime sets to all go into this album. This type of binder will hold all the Wayte Raymond Boards needed for all 3 series in the same album, but they are super hard to find. They were custom made for Stack’s in limited quantities back in the day and will hold about 3 times as many Wayte Boards. Her Barber dimes are already in Wayte boards, but I’m transferring the Mercury dimes from a Dansco and the Roosevelts will be transferred from an Intercept Shield album. The Roosevelts have been in the Intercept Shield album so long that they have started to tone, so it’s not really protecting them anymore.

Mr_Spud

edited May 23, 2024 2:13PM

Finding decent original binders was a bit of a struggle but I found two almost new ones for my Large Cents. This one has a little "character".

Buffalo Nickels

Very nice condition album👍🏼

Mr_Spud

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buffalo Nickels

I am partial to the buff

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file