Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question about PCGS slab number sequence

Why are the vast majority of PCGS slabs in order (recently passed 50000000) but occasionally I'll see an 8 digit code that starts with a 7 or 8?

For example, 72164119 is a half eagle slabbed between 1998-2002 per the slab museum. Most slabs from that era are 8 digits and start with a 1 or 2.

As an anal-retentive CPA, I need to know (even though I'm sure the answer isn't too important haha).

Comments

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baylor8670 said:

Why are the vast majority of PCGS slabs in order (recently passed 50000000) but occasionally I'll see an 8 digit code that starts with a 7 or 8?

For example, 72164119 is a half eagle slabbed between 1998-2002 per the slab museum. Most slabs from that era are 8 digits and start with a 1 or 2.

As an anal-retentive CPA, I need to know (even though I'm sure the answer isn't too important haha).

Winesteven had a thread and asked a similar question. Link is below. Might help settle your "anal-retentive CPA". :)
    In short, in the past pcgs would appear to issue blocks of numbers and submitted coins would be in number sequence when submitted starting with the 'block' numbers. Then the block could change and then maybe change back again but submitted coins would be in a number sequence.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1097864/museum-of-pcgs-coin-holders-estimated-range-of-original-cert-numbers-for-each-type>

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    Baylor8670Baylor8670 Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

@lilolme said:
    @Baylor8670 said:

Winesteven had a thread and asked a similar question. Link is below. Might help settle your "anal-retentive CPA". :)
    In short, in the past pcgs would appear to issue blocks of numbers and submitted coins would be in number sequence when submitted starting with the 'block' numbers. Then the block could change and then maybe change back again but submitted coins would be in a number sequence.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1097864/museum-of-pcgs-coin-holders-estimated-range-of-original-cert-numbers-for-each-type>

Thanks for the link. That was very helpful.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought the first 4 digits were chosen at random to start the day, so say today's was 1811 then a 20 coin submission graded first would be 18110001 thru 18110020.

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. Back in the day, the forms were physical, pre-numbered carbonless paper. Plus you didn't want to order too many in case you needed to revise them. There would have been an economic ordering quantity from the printer and cost breaks at different order sizes.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file