Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Calling @bidask…NGC 68+ Cap & Rays

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rumor was this coin was bought over the counter in Phoenix for a ridiculously low price. Headed to the ANA sale perhaps.

Comments

• Options
    ClioClio Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredible coin. Really cool to see in that state of preservation.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2024 8:58AM

Hopefully Bidask can add it to his collection. Is that the highest Cap & Ray 8 reales ever graded?

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

Successful Transactions with the following board members: Pruebas & SimonW

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like recently was graded:

Also seems that the owner of this coin posted about asking the value of the coin on cointalk...

• Options

Do you not collect this series as well?

• Options

A way nice coin for sure, have some portions of the rays on the cap, i think:

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel bad for the seller ….whoever it was was was taken of advantage of !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    edited May 20, 2024 12:31PM

@bidask said:

What would be the fair value on such a coin in this grade? Does anyone know how much it sold for and was it graded when it sold or graded after?

• Options

@PillarDollarCollector said:

@bidask said:

What would be the fair value on such a coin in this grade? Does anyone know how much it sold for?

Depends if it’s really a 68+ or another over graded NGC coin

• Options
    edited May 20, 2024 12:38PM

@Boosibri said:

@bidask said:

What would be the fair value on such a coin in this grade? Does anyone know how much it sold for?

I hope Bidask lands it if it is truly a 68+ I am sure he would like to own the highest graded from this series. Good luck to him!!!

• Options

A quick look on HA a MS66:

Maybe double that value for the MS68+... my wild guess

• Options
    edited May 20, 2024 12:47PM

@ELuis said:
    A quick look on HA a MS66:

Maybe double that value for the MS68+... my wild guess

I doubt any will ever grade higher than this 68+. Truly amazing if graded properly.

• Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve been trying to find the owner for the past month or so, but still don’t know who has it.

• Options

@Rexford said:
    I’ve been trying to find the owner for the past month or so, but still don’t know who has it.

On the net searches that I did, found this topic, but no idea if he/she is the owner or simple was find it the value on the cointalk.

• Options

@ELuis said:

@Rexford said:

On the net searches that I did, found this topic, but no idea if he/she is the owner or simple was find it the value on the cointalk.

Thanks, figured it out who has it from that bit of info.

• Options

@Rexford said:

@ELuis said:

@Rexford said:

Thanks, figured it out who has it from that bit of info.

Maybe get in touch with Bidask via PM.

• Options

I hope you land the coin Bidask let us know if ever you do.

• Options

Welcome back @cecropiamoth!

Go Cubs!

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cecropiamoth welcome back! Believe it or not, you were missed!

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back, @cecropiamoth. What a way to re-appear with a coin like that.

Lots of really great coins came from that sale. Really choice branch mint stuff like yours. And the prices were indeed soft. I bought a bunch of PL and semi-PL coins in that sale.

The "engineer" lived in Mexico and passed away fairly young (some say he was killed). His family had some problems with that first sale, so apparently they are hanging onto the rest of the collection for now.

• Options
    RSPRSP Posts: 70 ✭✭

Another overgraded NGC coin is my opinion. Luster grazes on the cap? MS 68+ ??

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is my 66 .

Forgot where I bought it 😉

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

@bidask said:
    Here is my 66 .

Forgot where I bought it 😉

Overgraded, look at those luster grazes on the cap! (Jk :D nice example)

• Options

The 68+ looks every bit the grade from all the images I’ve seen of it. I don’t know what the 68 grade is for if not for that coin - what a beautiful piece. I tried to acquire it, but unfortunately had been out-offered already.

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@bidask said:

Plenty of over-graded coins in plastic branded from this side of the pond also. >:)

It's not SEGS or ANACS or ICG. :p

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back @cecropiamoth! Good to hear from you!

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mvs7

Thank you my brother. Apologies for disappearing as I did. I am good. I will be in touch Michael.

JJ

Keeping this thread going (at least relative to the Collection of an Engineer sale) --

**> @pruebas said:

Lots of really great coins came from that sale. Really choice branch mint stuff like yours. And the prices were indeed soft. I bought a bunch of PL and semi-PL coins in that sale.

The "engineer" lived in Mexico and passed away fairly young (some say he was killed). His family had some problems with that first sale, so apparently they are hanging onto the rest of the collection for now.**

Excellent that you were able to grab some nice coins as well from that Collection of an Engineer sale. And very sad that he passed away...RIP 'Engineer'. I was able to pick up two additional coins in the sale --

Notes from Heritage for this coin -- Heritage Auctions – The Collection of an Engineer, A Reference Collection of Cap and Rays 8 Reales – Monthly World, 04/29/2018. Lot Description: Republic 8 Reales 1877 Ho-AF MS64 NGC, Hermosillo mint, KM377.9, DP-Ho19. A conditionally rare Dunigan and Parker plate coin. With some extremely minor handling typical for the grade this piece truly dazzles with an absolutely captivating tone. A toasty cupric and golden radiance abounds which only supplements the bold strike. The hammer was $460 + $92.00 BP = $552.00

Notes from Heritage for this coin -- Heritage Auctions – The Collection of an Engineer, A Reference Collection of Cap and Rays 8 Reales – Monthly World, 04/29/2018. Lot Description: Republic 8 Reales 1881 Oa-AE MS65 NGC, Oaxaca mint, KM377.11, DP-Oa26. Die Style of 1877-1881. A scarce treat with Dunigan and Parker noting that "this die style is rarely found better than Extremely Fine." Very attractive dynamic toning throughout with some amorphous warmth due to apricot tones that melt centrifugally to blend pleasantly with a pale blue perimeter along the edges. Combined with a crisp strike, particularly well executed on the obverse, this piece is sure to attract the consideration of any self-respecting Cap and Rays admirer. The hammer was $1,000.00 + BP $200.00 = $1,200.00

I enjoy looking back on some of these auctions, especially as I am getting refreshed after hiatus. Indeed the hammer prices were soft in this sale.

I will note that both of the coins did not cross at grade at PCGS.

@Boosibri Sorry I kind of hijacked the thread.

OK...now back to the gorgeous 1864-O FR NGC MS68+ 8R!!!

Take care everyone.

Jeff

• Options

You didn’t hijack at all! This thread would be dead otherwise I’m sure. Welcome back again

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very happy to see you posting again, @cecropiamoth !!!

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you @TwoKopeiki

I don't really even understand it myself. One day, around the close of 2022, I just decided I needed a break. Sometimes those are good. It certainly wasn't coin burnout, but rather the pandemic. I was one of those that suffered mentally. The masks, the isolation (mostly the lack of social interaction with my peeps at work), no dart leagues...and work wasn't fun just then (I was an on call guy, so that phone was tied to me and you would get calls constantly at all times of the night and anytime on the weekend). I kind of just checked out and days turned to weeks and then to months. I left that job of just short of 12 years (it was brokerage data management...I worked on our tax lot accounting product) on my own accord last October (2023). Just something I had to do and I'll never regret that decision. Watching after my parents (77 and 80, this extra time with them has been extremely valuable to me) and just trying to figure out my remaining 10-15 working years. I prepared for and planned for an extended break, but now am starting to feel needed again. I think getting active and posting again will be a stimulus for me regarding getting back to a job and reintegrating to society. Heck, I even played nine weeks of league darts (below my standard, but 3-4 years away will do that :'( ) this winter/spring.

All the above is probably TMI. But it is important. While I only had COVID once (it was just a heavy cold to me, even my parents whipped it), the pandemic hurt a segment of the population's mental health. I fell into that segment pretty hard.

LOL, but ugh. I get to writing like an animal and I've now turned Brian's thread into a mental health one :o . But I believe talking through this has value and is therapeutic.

Take care/JJ

• Options
    ncsuwolf74ncsuwolf74 Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    Welcome back, @cecropiamoth. What a way to re-appear with a coin like that.

The "engineer" lived in Mexico and passed away fairly young (some say he was killed). His family had some problems with that first sale, so apparently they are hanging onto the rest of the collection for now.

@pruebas

When you say problems. Curious if that means they were disappointed in the final prices. I purchased many coins from that collection

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."

Jim Elliot