Home U.S. Coin Forum

My first crack at real photography

PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 20, 2024 8:08AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I've been getting by with Iphone pictures and videos, but I figured if I was going to start doing this for real, I needed to start taking real photos.

Luckily, @FlyingAl has this all figured out already and he directed me what camera, lens, and software I needed to buy. Yesterday, I unpacked my new camera equipment and got it set up on a rather inexpensive copy stand I found on amazon. My copy stand ended up being too short for slab pics with the 100mm lens, so instead of replacing the copy stand I went to target and bought a 50mm lens. Canon now has an app that connects to my phone, so I learned that can shoot remotely without causing any shakiness, and importing the pictures through said app is extremely easy.

Anyways, I took some of my first shots and got them over to Alex for feedback. With some tweaks and adjustments, I think I'm starting to get the hang of it now. I used photoshop for cropping and some minor post processing to get the colors accurate, and to my eye these look pretty decent. I thought it would be fun to shoot 3 of my favorite photogenic coins, which also happen to have truviews that we can compare to. Im sure ill pick up some more tips and tricks along the way, but this is yet another example of how amazing this forum is. This was a steep learning curve for me, but when people like @FlyingAl have this to a science and are willing to freely share their techniques, it makes it easy for those of us who are otherwise technologically challenged 😅. Feedback is welcomed!

1. 1854 Kellogg $20

TV- A bit too yellow, also makes it look sorta cleaned IMO

1. High relief saint

TV- Phils got me on this one, he's able to show the depth real well with the high reliefs.

1. 1799 $10 small stars

TV- maybe a bit overexposed but generally not bad. Mine are truer to how the coin looks in hand.

Founder- Peak Rarities
Website
Instagram
Facebook

Comments

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great job

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks good!

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pics, you are clearly not as technology challenged as I am. ;)

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Slade01Slade01 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

Very nice photos of some superb coins.
    I find that TV tends to wash out colors on copper coins frequently, but they do pretty well overall with brilliant silver and nickel coins, just not as much so with the toned and circulated stuff.

• epcepc Posts: 209 ✭✭✭✭

Nice pics and nice coins!

Collector of Liberty Seated Half Dimes, including die pairs and die states

• ShurkeShurke Posts: 313 ✭✭✭✭

Great shots!

I notice the TrueViews tend to bring out a brighter gold color than your shots (maybe Phil just used more lights?) And that makes me curious—color wise, which pics would you say are more accurate?

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing wrong with that! 👍 👍 I can smell that gold from here! 👍

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a bad start at all Dan! I have a few more tricks of the trade to teach, but for now that will certainly do.

Coin Photographer.

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking pics, now try some proofs ....They will humble you. Lol

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 909 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good work!

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WaterSport said:
    Great looking pics, now try some proofs ....They will humble you. Lol

WS

IMO - the hardest coins to image are originally toned early gold. The colors are super tough to get right.

If you do it right, Proofs can be easy.

Coin Photographer.

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very impressive for a rookie. Lol.
    Great job. Really. Now you slide show your photo's instead of pulling a coin.
    Here's the one factor to keep in mind.
    Do they match in color, contrast, tint or any thing else not mentioned here, as in hand.
    There will come a time when it is what it is.
    Good better best, never let it rest, until your good is better and your better is best.
    "With great abilities comes great responsibilities."
    Also any copy shop can reproduce on any stock with the most up to date copier's dpi value if needed to frame or reference.
    Cool

• johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best experience yet. Nice work Dan.

• jomjom Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent start. Since I don't think anyone's mentioned it but from what I see there seems to be a "reddish" tint to the photos. Maybe try some different lighting.

Best of luck!

jom

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice 👍🏼

Mr_Spud

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent work👍😎

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very, very nice job!

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome Pics, dude plus coins!
    B)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • DCWDCW Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice shots. You are at least as good as our host's true view team already

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing your coins and images. Both are fantastic.

Many happy BST transactions
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! THAT is your first time out?!! I'm humbled...

...maybe it's the subject matter? :wink: Awesome coins BTW...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Shurke said:
    Great shots!

I notice the TrueViews tend to bring out a brighter gold color than your shots (maybe Phil just used more lights?) And that makes me curious—color wise, which pics would you say are more accurate?

Ok, so I think its a bit of both. I could see how brighter lights might bring out a more intense gold color, but I will also say that many TV's have too much of a yellow shift in my opinion. My photos actually had a bit too much of a red shift, I have since made some adjustments to the white balance and updated the op. Now, I would say that mine are definitely more accurate. I spent a lot of time on them, even holding the coin next to the photo on my laptop to make sure I was very close. Unfortunately, the TV team doesn't have the luxury of spending much time when they shoot the coins.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

edited May 20, 2024 8:20AM

@jom said:
    Excellent start. Since I don't think anyone's mentioned it but from what I see there seems to be a "reddish" tint to the photos. Maybe try some different lighting.

Best of luck!

jom

Thanks for the feedback, I noticed that too and have adjusted the balance to take out the red tint. Wih that said, the 1799 has a heavy red undertone in hand. The new photos are more accurate now.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• CoinbertCoinbert Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

You are off to a great start Dan. Looking forward to seeing more photos.

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those look great! With trueviews being so deplorable lately, it is good to be able to do DIY photos that look better.

How easy is the photo cropping in Photoshop? I use the free Photoscape and do ok but it is somewhat tedious and requires a steady hand to get acceptable precision.

@Connecticoin said:
    Those look great! With trueviews being so deplorable lately, it is good to be able to do DIY photos that look better.

How easy is the photo cropping in Photoshop? I use the free Photoscape and do ok but it is somewhat tedious and requires a steady hand to get acceptable precision.

Very easy, you use an elliptical marquee and you just drag 4 points to the perimeter of the coin and it makes a perfect circle.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice.

• Seraph21Seraph21 Posts: 48 ✭✭✭

Wow, those look amazing. I'm just starting to dip my toes in coin photography. Do you have any info you can share about how you're lighting your setup. I've tried using a pane of glass for axial lighting, but I keep getting this haze from the light itself on the glass.

@Seraph21 said:
    Wow, those look amazing. I'm just starting to dip my toes in coin photography. Do you have any info you can share about how you're lighting your setup. I've tried using a pane of glass for axial lighting, but I keep getting this haze from the light itself on the glass.

Im just using 3 adjustable desk lamps with 40-60w equivalent diffused led bulbs in the 3000k range. I play around with the positioning but I still have much improvement to make with my lighting. Theres other members are more qualified to give advice if they care to chime in.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

The human eye sees 14 different f stops, while the best cameras will see 9, maybe 10. I never could get the fall colors' yellow gold tones in New England quite right. Imagine editing software can fix that. Like any hobby, it depends on how much time you want to put into it.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Seraph21Seraph21 Posts: 48 ✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

@Seraph21 said:

Im just using 3 adjustable desk lamps with 40-60w equivalent diffused led bulbs in the 3000k range. I play around with the positioning but I still have much improvement to make with my lighting. Theres other members are more qualified to give advice if they care to chime in.

wow, 3 40-60w lamps, I'm def not using enough light then.

• shortnockshortnock Posts: 396 ✭✭✭

Mightyfine photos! Grasshopper! You have learned well! Kudos to you and FlyingAl.

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Connecticoin said:

For those that don't have Photoshop or something else, here's a free site that does a wonderful job of circle cropping for me:

https://crop-circle.imageonline.co/

@ElmerFusterpuck said:

@Connecticoin said:

For those that don't have Photoshop or something else, here's a free site that does a wonderful job of circle cropping for me:

https://crop-circle.imageonline.co/

Yea, that's pretty easy too. Worked well for me.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

They look good enough to see the bite marks :D

Great info here that I'll be tooling around with later time permitting.

• jomjom Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

@jom said:

Best of luck!

jom

Thanks for the feedback, I noticed that too and have adjusted the balance to take out the red tint. Wih that said, the 1799 has a heavy red undertone in hand. The new photos are more accurate now.

Believe it or not it wasn't the coin I looked at to see the red tint. It was the slab plastic. On my monitor (monitors often differ) the plastic has the reddish tint to it. Adjusting the balance is one way. However, I've found that using different lighting helps more. JMO.

Good luck!

jom

• rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:
    2. High relief saint

TV- Phils got me on this one, he's able to show the depth real well with the high reliefs.

The extra depth shown in the TV is due to Phil/PCGS being able to bring the lights higher without glare than you can once the coin is slabbed. I don't see any glare at all on the slab so for sure you can bring the lights up higher, as long as you keep the glare outside the radius of the coin. You can do even better by "shaping" the light source by masking the parts that create glare first. I've found an optimum is to mask nearly 50% of the source. This allows you to bring the light closer to lens/coin while eliminating glare from 50% of the light. The other 50% is also brought closer, so the entire source (a half-circle) is at a higher angle and is closer to axial, thus improving shadowing on the edges of the features and thus depth perception.

This will give you a better image of the coin, but there will be glare on the other parts of the slab. This is fine if you are just doing the coin as you can circle-crop it and place it on whatever background you like. But if you want a pic of the whole slab, you can first take a pic with the lights farther away as you have above, then place a circle-cropped, higher quality image of the coin in place of the full-slab image. This will give a TV-like image in a full slab, sort of a glamor shot. Several folks on the forum do this regularly.

PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

I missed this thread earlier. Your photos look good to me. But more important for you to pay attention to feedback from those who know how to photograph. Airplanenut and Crazyhoundog are both good at coin images.

Others you may want to peruse at some point:

Todd Pollock is excellent - he's on here.

Mike Prinz at Harlan Berk takes great photos that have a bit of a unique look to them.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

@rmpsrpms said:

@DeplorableDan said:
    2. High relief saint

The extra depth shown in the TV is due to Phil/PCGS being able to bring the lights higher without glare than you can once the coin is slabbed. I don't see any glare at all on the slab so for sure you can bring the lights up higher, as long as you keep the glare outside the radius of the coin. You can do even better by "shaping" the light source by masking the parts that create glare first. I've found an optimum is to mask nearly 50% of the source. This allows you to bring the light closer to lens/coin while eliminating glare from 50% of the light. The other 50% is also brought closer, so the entire source (a half-circle) is at a higher angle and is closer to axial, thus improving shadowing on the edges of the features and thus depth perception.

This will give you a better image of the coin, but there will be glare on the other parts of the slab. This is fine if you are just doing the coin as you can circle-crop it and place it on whatever background you like. But if you want a pic of the whole slab, you can first take a pic with the lights farther away as you have above, then place a circle-cropped, higher quality image of the coin in place of the full-slab image. This will give a TV-like image in a full slab, sort of a glamor shot. Several folks on the forum do this regularly.

This is very helpful, thank you Ray 🙏

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file