Home U.S. Coin Forum

What Were The 4 or 5 Coins You Dreamed Of Having As A Kid, That You Own Today?

OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 13, 2024 12:57PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone can play but this is targeted more to the baby boomer generation, born between 46 and 64. I'll hold off with my answer. I don't want the skew or influence any answers. I'm curious to see of many of us fell into the same category of interests.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Comments

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Hawaiian. It was the first coin I bought when I restarted collecting in my 50s

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    • 1c 1909-S VDB, bought from my grandpa's collection
    • 5c 1937-D 3 legged, bought from my grandpa's collection
    • $1 1800 bust dollar, because it looks like the 1804 in the blue book I had as a kid
    • $10 1926 Indian, a beautiful coin
    • $20 1924 St. Gaudens, a classic US coin
  • Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wanted a 16-d merc but I managed to save up and get one as a kid. I don't own it today though.

• lcutlerlcutler Posts: 544 ✭✭✭✭

Pine tree shilling, Fugio cent, chain cent. Haven't got that bust dollar yet!

• NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't start collecting as a kid, but only started a few years ago. I never thought I would get in this deep (surprise surprise). While I am no "big time" collector, I am very proud of the half cents I have been able to acquire. I feel that the set I am building is "nice" by most people's standards... and, it's been a tremendous education. I am very fortunate and grateful for the progress.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve handled most of them and own none of them. I can’t say I’ve moved on, since I’d still love to own my childhood fantasies. But there are so many other things I’d rather own, given my limited resources.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • DDRDDR Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

3-legged Buffalo Nickel.

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

09-SVDB, 55 Double Die, 37-D 3 Legs, and a $20 Saint. I have owned multiples of each - still have a few Saints, and I have one each of the other 3 still in grading. I will post the likely crappy Trueviews when the grades/pics post.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was a kid, I had no knowledge of collectible coins. Wasn't even on my radar.

• bigmountainlionbigmountainlion Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

Gobrescht. A repaired holed
    $20 high relief. Had 2 sold one
    1909-s vdb. Have several
    1937-d 3 legged.
    1955 doubled die. Have several

Like typekat gobrecht was a dream coin that I wanted the most as teenager

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

1955, 1972, 1983, 1984, 1995 Doubled Die cents, to name a few. Funny how after a dream is fulfilled , a new dream comes. Come and gone coins.....

HE>I

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always wanted to own one as a kid. Thanks to @Meltdown

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2024 9:12AM

There are a few left from my childhood fantasies... I've owned two 1909-S VDB's and a 1914-D but sold them when I stopped actively collecting Lincoln's. I still own...
    1794 Liberty Cap (PCGS VF20)
    $10 Indian (PCGS MS62... OGH)
    $20 Saint (PCGS MS65)
    1790s dated 8 Reales (PCGS VF details, Chop Marked)
    Draped Bust Half HE (PCGS VF30)

I still have a few others on my want list for the Box of 20 that I dreamed about as a kid...
    Fugio Cent
    1955 DDO Lincoln
    $3 Gold

...and to satiate my inner child after years of collecting Morgan Dollars... an MS65DMPL CC minted piece in PCGS plastic and a CAC sticker... icing and a bow... :wink:

Edited to add

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

1909-S VDB Lincoln and 1955 DDO Lincoln. The only Lincoln cents in an otherwise non copper collection.

• JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters ... it's the sandbox this young fellow played in. Halves, dollars, gold, 1800s type coins, etc. were way out of my league.

The ones I have.

• 1950-D Jefferson, I know, I know, but back then we thought they were the second coming of the 1909-S VDB Lincoln and 16-D Merc ...
    • 1932-D Quarter

Corollary 1: The coins I wanted, obtained, and no longer have: 1916-D Mercury
    Corollary 2: The coins I wanted and still don't have: 1914-D Lincoln
    Corollary 3: Those coins I thought I wanted but present day have no interest: 1909-S VDB Lincoln

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had all the coins I dreamed of as a child, but will never have the coins I dream of now.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • mtnmanmtnman Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

1893-S Morgan that I still own. 1909-SVDB that I bought in the 1970’s. VF I paid $140.00. My brother stole this coin along with many other key dates. 1889-CC Morgan. I have two of these.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

1909-S, 1909-S VDB, 1914-D, 1955 DD, 1916 SL. The only one of these that I have is a holed 1909-S

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Modest dreams as a kid - scarce dates that I couldn’t find in circulation. Have since bought and then sold them all, focusing on all sorts of type. I also remember dreaming of proof versions of obsolete types that were still found in circulation: IHC, Buffalo. Mercury,Walker. Part of my proof type set. Still like looking at those.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to see many of us thinking the same way. For me it would be a tie between the 09-S-VDB and the 55DDO, (years of looking at all those red book and empty holes in my Whitman folders/albums). The holes are still empty but I have the slabs now. The others (not necessarily this order) 3-leg buff, 16-D merc and 42/1 merc.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    Nice to see many of us thinking the same way. For me it would be a tie between the 09-S-VDB and the 55DDO, (years of looking at all those red book and empty holes in my Whitman folders/albums). The holes are still empty but I have the slabs now. The others (not necessarily this order) 3-leg buff, 16-D merc and 42/1 merc.

I would think more like we fall mostly in the same kind of social class hence the coins we dream about and can possibly afford are mostly the same.

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2024 4:54PM

Buff 1916/16
    Buff 1917/18
    Lincoln 1955 DDO

A few others... have not owned them yet, and I don't know why.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

A different view/observation. Capable now to afford coins wanted at age 13-16 but could not afford-16-d dime,55 DD cent, few others. But does not have same allure now, than as if could of had them at the younger age. More of a challenge and more rewarding at that age to obtain them.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2024 6:49AM

1955 DDO cent (birth year)
    1909-S VDB Lincoln cent
    1937-d 3 leg Buffalo
    And some sweet ancients. It’s been a fun ride!

Edited to add:
    I forgot the 42/1 Dime- which I’ve aquired and the 16-d which I have not yet fulfilled.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apart from not having resources as a kid, there is also the matter of availability. The coins we dreamed about we now know are readily available if we just want to spend the money. Changes desire. Now we desire coins that are truly rare or require some patience, research and digging.

• horseyridehorseyride Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

I always wanted a Pan-Pac $50 octagonal, but I'd rather have 50+ other coins than actually splurge on it now that I could

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FrankH That's a nice looking AG!

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2024 4:28PM

Save for the crazy stuff like an 1861 Paquet reverse double eagle or a 1793 strawberry, I have owned most everything that caught my fancy as a kid. Most for the scarce early red book illustrations during the 80s like the s/cc trade or 1909/8 20$ and or keydates like the 1909s Indian like others have posted. Indian cents were my first complete set and the 1909s was my last one even after the 1856 FE (a corroded fine details out of coin world)

Here are a few coins that I have kept longer than normal due to childhood affection

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only "dream" coin from my childhood I own is a pillar dollar. Only knew of it because of the Red Book,

I've never tried to buy the others I've been able to afford as an adult. The most affordable aspirational coin was an 1805 draped bust half.

• SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2024 2:53PM

For a school assignment in third grade, we wrote poems about our future. I included a line of: "I hold in my hand a coin from 500BC".

Now I'm fortunate to have several (although I did not realize my goal in the next line of becoming a "kangaroo biologist" - I clearly haven't lived up to my full potential)

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file