Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thomas Jefferson's 8th Great Grandson is a coin collector!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 12, 2024 10:48AM in U.S. Coin Forum

@braddick recently posted a pedigree sticker in another thread I thought was very interesting. It's for the 8th Great Grandson of Thomas Jefferson! Post any information on this pedigree here!

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13723445/#Comment_13723445

I did some quick searches online but the only reference I found to the 8th Great Grandson of Thomas Jefferson is on Reddit with the following post from June 28, 2022.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AncestryDNA/comments/vmm3f3/so_apparently_thomas_jefferson_is_my_8th/

With the following image from Ancestry's StoryScout:

Thomas Jefferson's 8th Great Grandson said:
So apparently Thomas Jefferson is my 8th great-grandfather.

Comments

• Options
    edited May 12, 2024 10:41AM

Here's another coin with the pedigree for the 8th Great Grandson of Thomas Jefferson. Here's another one offered on eBay by silver_coins, member since Jan 31, 2021, so a bit earlier than the Reddit post above.

This a PCGS MS70 the collector has good taste in quality.

• Options
    edited May 12, 2024 10:48AM

Here's another. There's no reverse slab image but the pedigree is mentioned in the lot description.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just what we need, another sticker.

• Options

@Smudge said:
    Just what we need, another sticker.

I’m surprised it’s not on the front of the slab!

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if he specializes in Jeffrerson nickels and two dollar bills?

• Options
    edited May 12, 2024 1:13PM

@SanctionII said:
    I wonder if he specializes in Jeffrerson nickels and two dollar bills?

Possibly. in addition to the error nickel, Jefferson Dollar, and Jefferson Bicentennial Medal above, there are some war nickels too:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/296266539559

It's pretty cool to collect coins that are a tribute to one's 8th great grandfather.

I'm kind of curious if they collect Ron Landis's original nickel design.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kinda like Where's George? Is this a quality service gimmick?

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Here's another coin with the pedigree for the 8th Great Grandson of Thomas Jefferson. Here's another one offered on eBay by silver_coins, member since Jan 31, 2021, so a bit earlier than the Reddit post above.

This a PCGS MS70 the collector has good taste in quality.

Do we know that he actually collects our just that he sells stickers?

• Options

@Namvet69 said:

My (cynical) guess is that it is just a marketing gimmick.

• Options
    edited May 12, 2024 6:18PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Namvet69 said:

Possibly, but it’s interesting someone went through with it, and how few coins there seem to be.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Namvet69 said:

Possibly, but it’s interesting someone went through with it, and how few coins there seem to be.

How would we know how many coins there are? It's not exactly a CAC sticker. A seller might very well ignore it.

• Options
    edited May 12, 2024 6:50PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Zoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Namvet69 said:

How would we know how many coins there are? It's not exactly a CAC sticker. A seller might very well ignore it.

A few appear on eBay from the seller mentioned above. Google didn’t turn up anything for me.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 559 ✭✭✭✭✭

My suspicion is there are many eighth great grandsons of Thomas Jefferson, after all, he did more than write our Declaration of Independence and serve as our third President (as if those were not enough). Interesting perhaps.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

1801 Jefferson inaugural medal. The dies were by John Reich. It was his first assignment at the U.S. Mint.

Jefferson Indian Peace Medal, stuck in the 1850s. The reverse die is broken indicating that it was the die used for the original pieces.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

My initial reaction is that this is a low effort marketing ploy by a non-collector in collaboration with someone in the industry…

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean, so what? My 8th great-grandfather was a poor illiterate Polish farmer. I'm not stickering Polish coins with farming themes...

There is a genealogy through the "Fourth Generation—Thomas Jefferson’s Married Great-Grandchildren" here: https://tjrs.monticello.org/letter/44

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2024 2:10PM

Interesting, if a rather tenuous and watered-down connection to Jefferson. Still, kinda fun, and more power to ‘em. I am glad they had the decency to put the stickers on the back and not obscure the front labels on the slabs.

I am supposedly a descendant of John Adams, and John Quincy Adams was a coin collector, mostly of Ancients, but of World coins as well.

I briefly owned a Roman Republican denarius with the JQA family pedigree which had sold with that collection in the Massachusetts Historical Society sale in 1971.

I later returned it to CNG, from whom I’d bought it. The pedigree was real, but the coin was not. It turned out to be a fourré - an ancient counterfeit. So yes, it was really from John Quincy Adams’ family collection, and yes, it was legitimately ancient, but as a fourreé, worth less than what I’d paid for it in the CNG auction where they failed to note that. (They quickly made good, with no questions asked, when I returned it.)

I want another, better JQA-pedigreed ancient, and have a couple on my radar. They turn up every once in a while.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2024 4:59PM

I'm Jefferson the Eighth, I am,
    Jefferson the Eighth I am, I am!

;)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 244 ✭✭✭✭

This is great news for me! I'm going to print stickers that say "Lincoln: 10C4TR" and stick'em on my Lincoln cent slabs.
    PS. The image comes from FamilySearch.org, which is an excellent (free!) genealogy tracking site. I deleted names of the recent generations so as not to besmirch the memory of my recent ancestors with my own goofiness. Also, privacy.

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• Options

@Bikergeek said:
    This is great news for me! I'm going to print stickers that say "Lincoln: 10C4TR" and stick'em on my Lincoln cent slabs.
    PS. The image comes from FamilySearch.org, which is an excellent (free!) genealogy tracking site. I deleted names of the recent generations so as not to besmirch the memory of my recent ancestors with my own goofiness. Also, privacy.

It would help if we had your mother's maiden name.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file