Home U.S. Coin Forum

The 1921 high relief Liberty peace dollar

Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is my all time favorite coin - part of that is just simply because this is the coin that got me into collecting! (Long story, for another time!)

Although I’ve owned several over the years - I’ve ended up with this one as my “keeper” …. Which was in a NGC holder in a former life and even had a cac sticker …(sigh)
I thought it would go 64+ or maybe higher … silly me!
She is an amazing example though, would you agree? Like I said I’ve had many but this one is my favorite/. I did see a 67 once … but “, well… I just kept on moving 🤔😬… she was a bit pricy for me…. I would love a really nice 65 - blast white like Rick-o liked … someday …..🥴

Comments

• TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭

Arent ALL 1921 Peace Dollars HIGH RELIEF?

TC71

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jfriedm56 said:
    Looking for a 65, but for now…

THAT coin is really nice, especially as a 64 - relatively mark-free surfaces.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the prettiest coins and designs.

• jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

@jfriedm56 said:
    Looking for a 65, but for now…

THAT coin is really nice, especially as a 64 - relatively mark-free surfaces.

Steve

Thanks Steve. Appreciate your kind words. Best I could find and afford at he time. Am always thrilled to see yours, which are ALWAYS over the top! Zack

• littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭✭

Love those hammered strikes!

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2024 12:24PM

@FlyingAl said:
    PR62 Satin.

I just love this coin and the story that goes with it. You don’t know me, but me and all my buddies know you and your story about this coin!!! Wish I could see it in hand some day ….

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Che_Grapes Thank you! It is an honor to own it.

Coin Photographer.

• Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite coin as well.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TorinoCobra71 said:

TC71

Would you, then, not say "1922 Peace dollar" because all 1922 dollars are Peace?

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2024 5:25AM

Looks like many of us have gone the "budget" route and gotten 64s. Still wish back in the day I had reached a bit for a slightly nicer 65 but not willing to pay that tariff these days even if prices may have softened a bit recently.

Anyway, some very nice pieces shown & thanks fellas!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@TorinoCobra71 said:

TC71

Would you, then, not say "1922 Peace dollar" because all 1922 dollars are Peace?

There's some high relief 22's, so you would need to specify that also. 1922 peace dollar low relief.

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@TorinoCobra71 said:

TC71

There's some high relief 22's, so you would need to specify that also. 1922 peace dollar low relief.

Then use 1923. The point is that it's not redundant to say "1922 Peace Dollar" just as it is not redundant to say "high relief 1921 Peace dollar".

@jmlanzaf said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@TorinoCobra71 said:

TC71

Then use 1923. The point is that it's not redundant to say "1922 Peace Dollar" just as it is not redundant to say "high relief 1921 Peace dollar".

I know. I was playing devil's advocate. It was a joke.........

• MoparmonsterMoparmonster Posts: 216 ✭✭✭✭

Lovely circ example

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@TorinoCobra71 said:

TC71

Sorry. I expected a meme

@jmlanzaf said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@TorinoCobra71 said:

TC71

Sorry. I expected a meme

edited May 13, 2024 3:31PM

@dcarr said:

@TorinoCobra71 said:

TC71

All 1921 Peace Dollars have the same relief.
    But the high-relief is only on the obverse (0.030 inches).
    The reverse on all 1921 Peace Dollars has the same relief height as all other 1922-1935 Peace Dollars (0.015 inches).

Here is what the Peace Dollar reverse would look like with the full 0.030" relief as originally sculpted (with Broken Sword also):

Wow I did not know that. I have learned so much from you - you should write a book, if you haven’t already, I would definitely read it!!
    Thanks again - i am a huge fan!

• FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2024 7:01PM
  • OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone here have a 1922 High Relief ?? Has anyone seen one? Mintage of just 35,401 and any graded??

• InditonkaInditonka Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    Does anyone here have a 1922 High Relief ?? Has anyone seen one? Mintage of just 35,401 and any graded??

Thinking this could be a '22 HR...

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:

@Floridafacelifter

Coin Photographer.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2024 10:03PM

@Inditonka said:

@Onastone said:

Thinking this could be a '22 HR...

The only difference between the two is the last date digit.
    The odds are not great, literally a dozen or two compared to a million.

• jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Simply Amazing!!!!

• FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jfriedm56 said:

Simply Amazing!!!!

Thank you!

Ex- Raymond T. Baker, Director of the United States Mint, 1917 to 1922. Owned by Baker from the time it was struck, handed down through his family and friends until being sold in 2014. Bob R. Simpson Collection. Single finest known. CAC

Finest known, of 8 graded by PCGS. Mintage perhaps 10-12? The original mintage is unknown- since it was not a regular issue, the Mint did not keep records on the number struck. Undoubtedly very few were made, the coins being intended solely for distribution to influential politicians, Mint and Treasury Department officials, and others intimately involved in the creation and evolution of the Peace dollar design. The coins were not made available to the general public.

Per Stacks Bowers auctions:
    “All Proof 1922 high relief Peace dollars were produced in the same manner, struck… on the Mint's medal press to bring up even the most intricate elements of the design. Once struck the coins were sandblasted in the Mint, this type of finish being popular at the time in production of high quality medallic and coinage works of art. These coins are often referred to as "Matte Proofs," or being of a "matte finish," although they are more accurately described as Sand Blast Proofs in keeping with the method of manufacture.”

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2024 4:49PM

Thanks @FlyingAl ... you knew who to beckon...@Floridafacelifter...and that is an exquisite Peace Dollar- amazing and very interesting info!!!!!

This coin is nothing short of incredible - and the story as well. You sir, now have what we often refer to as “coin legacy” - you got the super cool, rare-as-hen-teeth coin, and that along with the ever-important story you provided, gives you the legacy!! Coin legacy!

This thread exceeded my expectations - that’s a testament to the quality and seriousness of those involved. We’ve got the best coin forum right here with the best people on them. Don’t believe me then have a look at the Reddit coin sub and let me know what you think (sigh - it’s depressing).

Thanks again to all - especially @FlyingAl and @Floridafacelifter for the amazing proofs!!! Well done boys and girls!!
    Hope you all have a great memorial weekend - all the best to each of you and your families

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file