Home U.S. Coin Forum

A polite request to our hosts re: damage versus errors

jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

To our hosts: Would you consider creating reference pages showing coins that are NOT errors, please?

PCGS CoinFacts is such a fantastic resource. PCGS Photograde shows how coins are supposed to look, in grades all the way down to PO01. What you don't have is an online resource showing how coins AREN'T supposed to look.

You can see from the constant threads in this discussion board that people have a hard time understanding when a coin is an error or simply damaged. You must get even more examples in submissions than we see here.

It would be a service to the community if you provided pages with good pictures showing a variety of types of damage, just like you already have pages showing different stages of wear.

If you want to try for bonus points, you could include descriptions also. I bet a bunch of people on this board would be willing to help writing the descriptions, if that was a sticking point. But even just a series of validated pictures would be a big improvement over nothing.

Comments

• Smokey1Smokey1 Posts: 21 ✭✭

Nah, that takes all the fun from the group experts way. They hang out on this forum and literally trash people for posting questions. Who would they troll and flex on if there weren’t stupid questions being asked….

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smokey1 said:
    Nah, that takes all the fun from the group experts way. They hang out on this forum and literally trash people for posting questions. Who would they troll and flex on if there weren’t stupid questions being asked….

Oh boy.... must be the weekend. Trashing the experts who are taking valuable time to try to give honest information to the newbies? Can see you are off to a good start.

----- kj
  • Smokey1Smokey1 Posts: 21 ✭✭

@tincup said:

@Smokey1 said:

Oh boy.... must be the weekend. Trashing the experts who are taking valuable time to try to give honest information to the newbies? Can see you are off to a good start.

Haha, it is valuable time to them, it’s their hobby/passion/enjoyment and they do a good job at killing that for lot of the new guys. Yeah, and my start has lead to my leaving here very shortly. I’ve posted 3 times and every time I’ve posted I’ve been met with a sentiment of feeling like a dumb*ss for ever posting. What yall need to have is an “I’m smarter than you section” where all the prestigious twits can hang out and stroke each others egos

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smokey1 said:

@tincup said:

@Smokey1 said:

Haha, it is valuable time to them, it’s their hobby/passion/enjoyment and they do a good job at killing that for lot of the new guys. Yeah, and my start has lead to my leaving here very shortly. I’ve posted 3 times and every time I’ve posted I’ve been met with a sentiment of feeling like a dumb*ss for ever posting. What yall need to have is an “I’m smarter than you section” where all the prestigious twits can hang out and stroke each others egos

If that's your attitude then don't expect a going away party.

Some advice, IF you decide to stick around: read other peoples' threads and learn from them. I read most new threads and responses and I learn a ton of information. Coins like the ones you have posted show up frequently on the forum.

• lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

This went off track fairly quick.
    @jonathanb That sound like a good idea as it might be more accessible than the videos and could probably give more examples as it would be easier to add to.
    Here is one of the pcgs videos on this subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL6iJ_hSDJg

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see this thread going to far

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Other than the work involved and the hundreds of photos of what PMD can do to a coin, I see no issue with it. I believe it would be easier just to provide a website explaining the steps involved, throughout the years of minting, in preparing the blanks and what occurs during the actual production process. I'm sure books are available, but truly new hobbyists may not know of them or where to buy or check out or possibly read them on line for free. Good idea.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Smokey1 said:

It’s very rare that well-intentioned posters are trashed, simply for asking questions. However, if, after receiving multiple consistent answers and/or suggestions from highly knowledgeable respondents, the person asking the question becomes combative or won’t listen, trashing may ensue.😉

I don't think it's that rare. Certain forum members come in hard from the beginning.

@jonathanb said:
    To our hosts: Would you consider creating reference pages showing coins that are NOT errors, please?

PCGS CoinFacts is such a fantastic resource. PCGS Photograde shows how coins are supposed to look, in grades all the way down to PO01. What you don't have is an online resource showing how coins AREN'T supposed to look.

You can see from the constant threads in this discussion board that people have a hard time understanding when a coin is an error or simply damaged. You must get even more examples in submissions than we see here.

It would be a service to the community if you provided pages with good pictures showing a variety of types of damage, just like you already have pages showing different stages of wear.

If you want to try for bonus points, you could include descriptions also. I bet a bunch of people on this board would be willing to help writing the descriptions, if that was a sticking point. But even just a series of validated pictures would be a big improvement over nothing.

There are literally an infinite number of PMD possibilities.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

It wouldn't be practical since there's an unlimited number of ways that a coin can be damaged. I suggest that you start a thread titled "The Official Thread for Damaged Coins That Could Be Mistaken for a Mint Error." People could show pics of a damaged coin and the forum members could discuss how the damage occurred.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• Slade01Slade01 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

@Smokey1 said:

One should spend some time learning to reduce the number of "stupid" questions that they ask.

Expertise being given away for FREE and you complain because you are too lazy to learn the basics of the minting process, understanding what can and cannot happen, and just posting pictures for others to do your work. Nice way to move through life, it's called free-riding.

• MojaveGhostMojaveGhost Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

@Smokey1 said:

Hasn't been my experience at all. I spend most of my time here reading threads in order to improve my knowledge, but the members have been gracious and generous with their knowledge the few times I've been stymied and asked for help.

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

When Smokey posts, I hear violins.

• trish53172trish53172 Posts: 78 ✭✭

@Smokey1 said:

Very unprofessional

• trish53172trish53172 Posts: 78 ✭✭

@Smokey1 said:

@tincup said:

@Smokey1 said:

Same they made me feel that way too and all I wanted were some professional opinions not to be treated like I'm an idiot

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2024 2:31AM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file