Home U.S. Coin Forum

Strike error or PMD on this 192? Cent

I don’t know enough about strike errors yet, I’m still learning. I assume this is PMD but again I just don’t know. Looking for your expertise/opinions. Thanks

Comments

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

Instead of simply assuming, try listing three signs that this is just damage. Then list three signs that this is truly a mint error.

If you get stuck on one of those lists, you have your answer.

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

To learn about errors and varieties, you need to read about them and study known examples. You should not be looking at random coins.

• MapsOnFireMapsOnFire Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

What did the advertisers say about Quaker Puffed Rice?
    SHOT FROM GUNS!

• Smokey1Smokey1 Posts: 21 ✭✭

@IkesT said:
    To learn about errors and varieties, you need to read about them and study known examples. You should not be looking at random coins.

lol, got it…for what it’s worth I have been. It’s a new hobby I’m getting into, and I thought a coin forum would be a useful place to learn a little faster. However, the advice to stop looking at coins, from you, on a coin forum is pretty awesome…also, you jumped on here gave your general opinion on coin knowledge and not about the coin, maybe you should have READ my question better.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smokey1 said:

@IkesT said:

lol, got it…for what it’s worth I have been. It’s a new hobby I’m getting into, and I thought a coin forum would be a useful place to learn a little faster. However, the advice to stop looking at coins, from you, on a coin forum is pretty awesome…also, you jumped on here gave your general opinion on coin knowledge and not about the coin, maybe you should have READ my question better.

I’m sure he read your question perfectly well. I agree with him regarding reading and studying known examples of varieties and errors. On the other hand, I also think it’s good to look at random coins as long as you compare them to known varieties and errors.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2024 11:34AM

@Smokey1 said:
    However, the advice to stop looking at coins, from you, on a coin forum is pretty awesome…also, you jumped on here gave your general opinion on coin knowledge and not about the coin, maybe you should have READ my question better.

Mm... from where I sit, the advice from @IkesT is spot on. I read your question. Your question shows that either (a) you're not trying or (b) you're not understanding or (c) you have no confidence in what you already understand. My personal guess is (c), but I'll allow that the others are also possible.

The best solution to any of those is exactly what @IkesT said: Study known examples. There's no better advice.

Continuing along those lines... could you post a picture of (or a link to) a known error that is similar to yours, and discuss why your coin does or doesn't match?

Nah, I’m not gonna stop looking at coins, I’ll keep reading and studying, but I wouldn’t call that spot on advice. It is what it is. I will however search different outlets for coin knowledge discussion and growth because every day someone is getting trashed for asking questions in here…just like yall seeing stupid questions gets old, so do the arrogant comments and ridicule…

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2024 11:53AM

Hmmm..... kinda confused by your other post in another thread. Seems you may not think too fondly of the 'experts' on this site.... but yet you are asking for their advice? (but also kinda sensing you may not appreciate the good advice that has been given you).

your quote in the other thread:

"Nah, that takes all the fun from the group experts way. They hang out on this forum and literally trash people for posting questions. Who would they troll and flex on if there weren’t stupid questions being asked…. "

----- kj
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smokey1 said:
    Nah, I’m not gonna stop looking at coins, I’ll keep reading and studying, but I wouldn’t call that spot on advice. It is what it is. I will however search different outlets for coin knowledge discussion and growth because every day someone is getting trashed for asking questions in here…just like yall seeing stupid questions gets old, so do the arrogant comments and ridicule…

Below are the two other threads you started, in which you received trashed-free, correct answers.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1103492/possible-repunched-date-1970-d-cent#latest

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1103388/impossible-1962-omm-cent-possibly#latest

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@tincup said:
    Hmmm..... kinda confused by your other post in another thread. Seems you may not think too fondly of the 'experts' on this site.... but yet you are asking for their advice? (but also kinda sensing you may not appreciate the good advice that has been given you).

your quote in the other thread:

"Nah, that takes all the fun from the group experts way. They hang out on this forum and literally trash people for posting questions. Who would they troll and flex on if there weren’t stupid questions being asked

I understand you’re confused, but in following the tradition of this forum, it’s best to not post when you’re confused. However, I can’t help but notice you did follow the later portion in which you quoted me about them “trolling”…what else would it have been that brought you here

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

OP needs to dial back the attitude a bit. Some of the existing members sometimes need that advice as well, but if a new member wants to benefit from the immense knowledge here then they need to have a little thicker skin.

The coin shown is obviously damaged, but that is to a more experienced collector. A newer collector might not know the difference just yet. There is a learning curve, after all.

Any anomalies that show moved metal, protrusions, bends, etc. where there is corresponding impact on the opposite side are usually damage.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be wonderful if all new hobbyists would preschool themselves as to the minting process, but hardly any, if any, do this. So they watch these youtube videos that tell you all the wrong things about "error" coins and nothing about how or why they can or cannot occur. Then they go to coin forums to show their finds and usually get upset at the very people who try to help them. We see this everyday on the forum and attitudes have become somewhat horrible as to learning and accepting what you are told by people with a great amount of experience. This is what I do not understand, why ask a question when you already feel you know the answer with little to no experience or knowledge on the subject and then become angry when you are told different than what you believe. But to result in name calling by either poster is totally nonproductive at any level. Please know that if beginners would spend have the time they spend on youtube videos, and the like, reading and studying the free material available about the minting process and what is and isn't a mint error on Google for FREE they would be far more welcome on any forum and be able to have a nice, educational discussion allowing all viewers to learn. JMO
    JIm

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jonathanb said:

@Smokey1 said:
    However, the advice to stop looking at coins, from you, on a coin forum is pretty awesome…also, you jumped on here gave your general opinion on coin knowledge and not about the coin, maybe you should have READ my question better.

Mm... from where I sit, the advice from @IkesT is spot on. I read your question. Your question shows that either (a) you're not trying or (b) you're not understanding or (c) you have no confidence in what you already understand. My personal guess is (c), but I'll allow that the others are also possible.

The best solution to any of those is exactly what @IkesT said: Study known examples. There's no better advice.

Continuing along those lines... could you post a picture of (or a link to) a known error that is similar to yours, and discuss why your coin does or doesn't match?

There is nothing wrong with looking at "random coins" which was the advice given. There's also nothing wrong with looking at known errors. In fact, you need to do both or you'd never learn what PMD looks like.

• Slade01Slade01 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

@Smokey1 said:

I understand you’re confused, but in following the tradition of this forum, it’s best to not post when you’re confused. However, I can’t help but notice you did follow the later portion in which you quoted me about them “trolling”…what else would it have been that brought you here

I'm pretty new around here, but one thing that I noticed is that there is an extremely high level of expertise in pretty much any area.

You are asking questions that indicate you have not really looked into the process of how coins are minted, how and what errors can occur, and how a huge number of damaged coins, hyped by social media, are just thrown up on boards without any effort on the poster's part. I've seen other forums that cater to that, and this ain't that place.

You can learn a great deal from the posters here if you put in some effort and ask questions about things that you have already spent substantial time researching in an effort to learn. There are loads of great places to learn the basics and just DM me if you want a list of suggested reading and some great YouTube videos (as opposed to the usual crap).

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to post a pic of a wrecked car, but eh, why bother.

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty much all legit coin errors have an minting process explanation.

Buy a book on errors.

If you have an error coin, it will be easier to match the tell tale diagnostics.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark it zero Smokey.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file