Options

Memory Lane stolen cards... $2MM worth.

2»

Comments

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭

@Groo said:

@bgr said:
    There are many products designed for determining location, characterizing activity, and identifying tamper for this very purpose. I am surprised something like that has not been used.

The legacy product is designed with a LTE Cat.M1 radio, a consumer-grade GNSS receiver along with 2.4GHz radio for WiFi + BLE and a few light sensors. These devices are inexpensive and easy to reuse requiring only a few battery presses.

New product designs now leverage protocols like Amazon Sidewalk and the Find My protocols supported by Apple and Google to piggy-back on dynamic network access.

A simple accelerometer which can detect motion and do some simple gesturing modeling allows for classification of movement, shaking, opening, dropping, etc.

It's somewhat amusing when there's a $30 solution to a $2MM problem. At least a solution to provide some of the insight which might be missing. So, I am going to assume, for now, that the lack of information coming out in the last week is because they have some idea what happened.

If they have no idea what happened wouldn't there also be same lack of info? BTW I'm asking , not stating

I don't have any idea. I'm just assuming that based on the size of the circle here. You can say it's my Best Guess Plus.

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

They need to solve this. If they don't it may open up to this happening much more. It could very seriously hurt the industry.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

for the amount of risk involved in carting such expensive cards all over the country, I really don't think it is worth it. you could make up some really nice high resolution displays/posters for bragging purposes and leave the actual items in a vault right where they belong.

I have a terrible time trusting any parcel services with my cards, and they are nowhere near $2MM worth. If I were a consigner, I would in no way want my stuff shipped all over the country so the were displayed at the big shows. Too much risk.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭

@bgr said:
    There are many products designed for determining location, characterizing activity, and identifying tamper for this very purpose. I am surprised something like that has not been used.

The legacy product is designed with a LTE Cat.M1 radio, a consumer-grade GNSS receiver along with 2.4GHz radio for WiFi + BLE and a few light sensors. These devices are inexpensive and easy to reuse requiring only a few battery presses.

New product designs now leverage protocols like Amazon Sidewalk and the Find My protocols supported by Apple and Google to piggy-back on dynamic network access.

A simple accelerometer which can detect motion and do some simple gesturing modeling allows for classification of movement, shaking, opening, dropping, etc.

It's somewhat amusing when there's a $30 solution to a $2MM problem. At least a solution to provide some of the insight which might be missing. So, I am going to assume, for now, that the lack of information coming out in the last week is because they have some idea what happened.

If only Mark Rober's Glitter Bomb was in there, this would've been solved already!

• Options
    HarnessracingHarnessracing Posts: 342 ✭✭✭

Why didn’t they have those cards in hand with the person going to the Convention or with 2 people. What was it like 50 or so cards?

• Options
    ElMagoStrikeZoneElMagoStrikeZone Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

@Harnessracing said:
    Why didn’t they have those cards in hand with the person going to the Convention or with 2 people. What was it like 50 or so cards?

I've been the "briefcase handler" of valuables on several different occasions, and though it offers a potentially safer option to alleviate concerns over a disappearing package, I'd still be wary of someone finding out and tracking my path to a vulnerable spot where they could make me and the goods disappear. I never went anywhere without at least one associate or more, particularly when we were transporting graded vintage cards. Hindsight is 20/20. Obviously, ML thought their method was the safest way to go and they probably have done so successfully plenty of times in the past.

Come on people now. Smile on your brothers.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    there is a lot of debate going on across the street about that insurance claim. of course, it is all speculation without seeing the policy, but the cards were not in ML's possession, they were not lost in transit. they were entrusted to a Best Western. Plus. it is not know if they revealed the value of the package to the BW management. I would think that had they disclosed the value, BW would have in no way taken on that type of liability.

there are multiple different safe options. It was either laziness on ML's part or miserlyness. or both.

why in the world didn't the ML rep just put them in his carry on luggage and bring it with him on the plane?

so stupid.

yea sounds shady

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElMagoStrikeZone said:

@Harnessracing said:

Obviously, ML thought their method was the safest way to go and they probably have done so successfully plenty of times in the past.

Russian Roulette might have several successful results as well prior to the inevitable...

It's the singer not the song - Peter Townshend (1972)

• Options
    HOMETOWNSPORTSHOMETOWNSPORTS Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

well my 2 cents is that it seems high dollar collectibles within the collecting community should be well recognized even in raw form...i.e mint mantles and other hard to find cards suddenly up for sale somewhere now or in the future...

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭✭

Idiotic business practice. I agree with Craig. Why should you ld my cards I’m consigning be shipped across the country for display at a card show.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

@HOMETOWNSPORTS said:
    well my 2 cents is that it seems high dollar collectibles within the collecting community should be well recognized even in raw form...i.e mint mantles and other hard to find cards suddenly up for sale somewhere now or in the future...

Card Dealers are not a group renowned for their honesty. If they can get something for way below FMV, then flip it locally they will.

• Options
    HOMETOWNSPORTSHOMETOWNSPORTS Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:

@HOMETOWNSPORTS said:

Card Dealers are not a group renowned for their honesty. If they can get something for way below FMV, then flip it locally they will.

yeah i guess that is a perception of some of them but got to be careful of large value cards as the spotlight is brighter on those verses cards less than $5K...anything over like $50K gets attention...

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HOMETOWNSPORTS said:

I would speculate that if this was an inside job, they already have a buyer for the 54 items or are stealing the cards for themselves. The thief should have known that this kind of story would bring a lot of attention and it would be hard to sell the cards for a while if ever.

We will probably see them again….raw….as an amazing “find”.

Mike
  • Options

@HOMETOWNSPORTS said:

@ndleo said:

@HOMETOWNSPORTS said:

I would speculate that if this was an inside job, they already have a buyer for the 54 items or are stealing the cards for themselves. The thief should have known that this kind of story would bring a lot of attention and it would be hard to sell the cards for a while if ever.

We will probably see them again….raw….as an amazing “find”.

yeah...not quite like stealing mona lisa or something but it gonna be difficult to sell these cards again it would seem...but 5 years from now people may not notice as memories fade...up in the air 5-10 years down the road...but selling them this year is suicide :p

Section 2901.13 | Statute of limitations for criminal offenses.
    Ohio Revised Code April 4, 2023
    https://codes.ohio.gov/ohio-revised-code/section-2901.13

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sgc holders look good to me.

Work hard and you will succeed!!