Home U.S. Coin Forum

FedEx advice please

conrad99conrad99 Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

Getting my coins returned from PCGS is turning out to be even harder than getting them there. I had the shipment re-routed to my local FedEx location since I could not be sure to be home whenever the delivery driver showed up.

I received a notice that the package was ready for pickup on April 29, but it wasn't there when I went there. I went back there on April 30, May 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 6th (yesterday). No sign of it.

I phoned FedEx repeatedly and was told that they were escalating it to a case manager, but each time after that they said this hadn't been done. Then they said they would put a trace on the shipment, but all this did was generate an email informing me that the package is ready for pickup (it isn't) and that it will be returned to PCGS tomorrow.

I have also been in contact with PCGS and they say it's not their responsibility once they give it to fedex. There's no tracking information since May 1st and "We'll add a delivery date as soon as your package starts moving."

What on earth should I do at this point?

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let PCGS know what's going on. They are responsible for getting your coins back to you. If they return your coins to PCGS, request that they send it again by USPS registered mail.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 462 ✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Let PCGS know what's going on. They are responsible for getting your coins back to you. If they return your coins to PCGS, request that they send it again by USPS registered mail.

He said he contacted PCGS and they deferred to Fedex

• conrad99conrad99 Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2024 4:21AM

Yes, as stated above PCGS has said (explicitly) it's no longer their responsibility once they give it to fedex. I've lost so much time (and sleep) over this already, it's driving me crazy!

Edit, here is what the PCGS rep said:

We have not control on how it gets delivered. I see that it is still at the Fed ex Facility. The only people that can help you with this would be Fed Ex. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Can you request PCGS to return your coins by USPS Registered mail?

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

FedEx is horrible.

Go in to the facility and ask to file an insurance claim.

• conrad99conrad99 Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2024 4:41AM

@PerryHall said:
    Can you request PCGS to return your coins by USPS Registered mail?

I have no idea, this is the first time I've ever submitted to PCGS and probably the last. It's just that with the package presumably in my city I'd really like to get my hands on it.

Each time I talk to FedEx it takes the better part of an hour, much of it spent on hold. Then the (marginally intelligible) rep has me repeat everything again before I'm put on hold again. They've even asked me to describe in detail the package contents, which I'm somewhat loath to do.

Hundreds of dollars' worth of my time down the drain so far, and I'm no closer to having the coins than I was on April 29.

Edit: thanks for the help everyone. Makes me feel less alone!

@jmlanzaf said:
    FedEx is horrible.

I would think the shipper would have to file the insurance claim.

• UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 569 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for all of your troubles. FedEx is absolutely terrible. I could write a book about all the problems I've had with them, and I refuse to use them whenever possible. I honestly don't know how they stay in business. I guess they must be really cheap for corporate accounts.

Here's an example of FedEx driving down the road near where I live with the back of the truck open. I wonder how many packages he lost?

Philippians 4:4-7

edited May 7, 2024 5:32AM

@PerryHall said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    FedEx is horrible.

I would think the shipper would have to file the insurance claim.

Sometimes it is either party. But I mostly suggested it to incentivize them finding it.

They had trouble finding my signature required package once and tried to send me on my way. I refused to leave and they eventually found it. But they didn't even really want to look.

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has always been my understanding that the party shipping whatever goods remains responsible, would be the party filing any claim and should follow up with the shipper. I would escalate with PCGS.

• lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

@conrad99
    I do not have any experience with Fed Ex so maybe the following does not help.
    This page:
    https://www.fedex.com/en-us/customer-support/faqs/receiving/tracking-questions/fedex-says-delivered-but-no-package.html

Has a section:
    What do I do if I received a delivery notification, but can't find my package?

Supposedly it should generate that case number you said they were going to do when you talked to them.

There are links to the case page and then to the claim page that Fed Ex says either can do the claim.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• slider23slider23 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    FedEx is horrible.

In the past FedEx would throw insurance claims for collectable coins into this bucket and would not pay a claim: If you declare a value for items that are prohibited (e.g., firearms, cash or currency, tobacco products) and they are lost or damaged, you will not be reimbursed.

Has FedEx changed their insurance policy about collectable coins?

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stockdude_ said:

@PerryHall said:

He said he contacted PCGS and they deferred to Fedex

His advice was in the scenario where they return your coins to PCGS.

IF the coins get returned to PCGS then the next idea is to have them shipped PCGS.

I agree that PCGS would need to be involved with any insurance claim, but until it's declared lost. It's FedEx's responsibility.

I have an order ATS that on its way back via Registered Mail. It's slow but avoids these issues.

@slider23 said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    FedEx is horrible.

In the past FedEx would throw insurance claims for collectable coins into this bucket and would not pay a claim: If you declare a value for items that are prohibited (e.g., firearms, cash or currency, tobacco products) and they are lost or damaged, you will not be reimbursed.

This is why an insurance claim filed by a major customer such a PCGS would be taken more seriously than a claim filed by some coin collector.

• TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@oldabeintx said:
    It has always been my understanding that the party shipping whatever goods remains responsible, would be the party filing any claim and should follow up with the shipper. I would escalate with PCGS.

That sounds right to me and I'm surprised and disappointed if a PCGS rep said something like "it's not their responsibility once they give it to fedex."

It's their problem until it's marked as delivered. But ultimately, it still stands that they have no control at this point. Until the item is marked as delivered (either to OP or back to PCGS) or marked as lost in transit, there's really nothing they can do.

Crappy situation all around. Not blaming OP (fedex 100% at fault), but I've always wary of redirecting packages for this very reason...one more step for them to screw something up.

If Fedex keeps this up, find out their procedure for marking the item as lost in transit. That way you can get the ball rolling on whoever is filing the insurance claim.

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,071 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2024 6:17AM

On my last PCGS submission, I asked FedEx to deliver to one of their pickup locations. All the FedEx Web info stated that the shipment would now be shipped to FedEx pickup location Bravo. Well, I got home earlier than expected and within 10 minutes the FedEx driver showed up with my package. I told him I had rerouted the package to FedEx pickup location Bravo, and he said he had no record of the change in delivery. I thought they were better than this.
    I'm going to try this one more time to see if they can get their act together. I'll let you know the results.

edited to add: My local FedEx driver is the best. I cannot say enough about his dedication to his job. He is one of the friendliest people you will ever meet.

This is the PCGS policy on using alternate shippers that are not USPS:
    "7 Alternate Return Shipping - Select shipping method and delivery speed. You must provide your own account number and insurance coverage. Add $4/order when using alternate shipping methods. Authorized Dealers only may pick up at PCGS by scheduling an appointment in advance. If not using Alternate Return Shipping, provide the fee based on the Return Shipping Rate Chart".

Why would PCGS get involved with the insurance coverage that they do not provide?

@Tetromibi said:

Until the item is marked as delivered (either to OP or back to PCGS) or marked as lost in transit, there's really nothing they can do.

Of course there's something PCGS can do. They can file an insurance claim. That usually gets their attention especially when it's an expensive package.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@slider23 said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    FedEx is horrible.

This is why an insurance claim filed by a major customer such a PCGS would be taken more seriously than a claim filed by some coin collector.

And in this case that major customer is the sender, the party to file a claim, if it comes to that. Hopefully, it won't.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Tetromibi said:

Until the item is marked as delivered (either to OP or back to PCGS) or marked as lost in transit, there's really nothing they can do.

Of course there's something PCGS can do. They can file an insurance claim. That usually gets their attention especially when it's an expensive package.

I suspect that PCGS' insurance is not provided by FedEx, they probably have a private commercial policy. Just guessing though.

@lermish said:

@PerryHall said:

@Tetromibi said:

I suspect that PCGS' insurance is not provided by FedEx, they probably have a private commercial policy. Just guessing though.

PCGS requires the submitter to have their own coin insurance for return shipping with FedEx.

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2024 6:48AM

@slider23 said:

@lermish said:

@PerryHall said:

@Tetromibi said:

PCGS requires the submitter to have their own coin insurance for return shipping with FedEx.

That is incorrect. They require a private insurance from the submitter for all return shipping methods EXCEPT FedEx (EDIT: or whatever method PCGS may choose, currently FedEx)

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never had a problem when I used usps express corporate which they discontinued. And back then the grading services let you use your own corporate account. I assume that UPS doesn't want coins to increase liabilities? They run a pretty tight ship; I applied for a job there and they had a big sign warning of big consequences for thefts.

@MFeld said:

@oldabeintx said:

That sounds right to me and I'm surprised and disappointed if a PCGS rep said something like "it's not their responsibility once they give it to fedex."

• TrampTramp Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some informative info on shipping liability.

Free on board (FOB). FOB indicates when the ownership of goods transfers from buyer to seller and who is liable for goods damaged, destroyed our go missing during shipping, e.g. FOB Destination vs. FOB Origin.

If shipping is paid as a separate line or charge on the invoice, then it's FOB "Origin." Under FOB Origin, the liability and responsibility passes from PCGS to the shipper (FEDEX) and the intended recipient once PCGS gives the package to FEDEX.

The intended recipient is then responsible to pursue any claim against the shipper, FEDEX. This all falls under the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC).

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2024 7:48AM

Sorry to hear of your troubles, I've used FedEx for every shipment to CAC and to both CACG and NGC never had an issue. But I use my own FedEx account with private insurance both ways.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Tetromibi said:

And until fedex marks the package as delivered or missing, any centrally located employee will state, on repeat, "item is available for pickup."

Either tracking needs to update, or OP needs to find the right fedex employee to go above and beyond. Best bet is probably whoever is managing the location where it's supposedly available.

Right now Fedex system says ready for pickup, and any fedex employee not at that store will likely tell anyone trying to file a claim to pound sand.

So maybe I should change it to "really nothing productive" that PCGS can do?

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there more than one FedEx facility? Can you try another? Just thinking it's in the system waiting to be picked up but perhaps you have gone to the wrong location?
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every shipper, Fedex, UPS, USPS handles millions of packages and has their screwups from time to time. It's silly to argue that one is better than another IMO.

When my dad's coins shipped from PCGS got lost at the Fedex hub for about 6 weeks last year, he was told that he had to wait 90 days (or some long period) to file an insurance claim before Fedex truly deemed it lost. And good thing because magically one day they did just turn up.

@ProofCollection said:
    Every shipper, Fedex, UPS, USPS handles millions of packages and has their screwups from time to time. It's silly to argue that one is better than another IMO.

When my dad's coins shipped from PCGS got lost at the Fedex hub for about 6 weeks last year, he was told that he had to wait 90 days (or some long period) to file an insurance claim before Fedex truly deemed it lost. And good thing because magically one day they did just turn up.

It is silly to argue that one is better or worse based on a single anecdote. However, there is legitimate data on delivery times, etc.

For example

https://www.lojistic.com/blog/fedex-vs-ups

• ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@ProofCollection said:

It is silly to argue that one is better or worse based on a single anecdote. However, there is legitimate data on delivery times, etc.

For example

The data we'd need to make any meaningful comparison is private and will never be available. However, we can infer from ShipandInsure.com that Fedex is more reliable as far as losing shipments based on the rates charged being lower for Fedex.

@ProofCollection said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ProofCollection said:

For example

The data we'd need to make any meaningful comparison is private and will never be available. However, we can infer from ShipandInsure.com that Fedex is more reliable as far as losing shipments based on the rates charged being lower for Fedex.

I don't know. I don't really want to do all the research. My only point is that one of the Big 3 is "better".

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you should wait until tacking information changed. If not received go after PCGS since they charged you for insurance.

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tramp said:

Free on board (FOB). FOB indicates when the ownership of goods transfers from buyer to seller and who is liable for goods damaged, destroyed our go missing during shipping, e.g. FOB Destination vs. FOB Origin.

If shipping is paid as a separate line or charge on the invoice, then it's FOB "Origin." Under FOB Origin, the liability and responsibility passes from PCGS to the shipper (FEDEX) and the intended recipient once PCGS gives the package to FEDEX.

The intended recipient is then responsible to pursue any claim against the shipper, FEDEX. This all falls under the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC).

Good information here.

Do you know if the above is the default; i.e. absent any contractual agreement if the seller pays shipping, as is often the case with eBay, then FOB Destination applies? Also, can the contract between the parties change the FOB status to whatever is agreed? Important stuff. Many thanks.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

My last PCGS submission was returned by FedEx to my PO Box address. I had to call PCGS and ask if their shipping department does not realize a PO Box is USPS?

I had to start a FedEx account to give them my street address and it did show up a day later.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

As someone stated earlier these type of shipping problems usually work themselves out. My hope is 4 weeks from now you will have your coins in hand. Good Luck!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 569 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    My last PCGS submission was returned by FedEx to my PO Box address. I had to call PCGS and ask if their shipping department does not realize a PO Box is USPS?

I had to start a FedEx account to give them my street address and it did show up a day later.

Technically FedEx can deliver to a PO Box using their SmartPost service, but it has to be shipped using this service from the beginning (not as regular ground). It is extremely slow, but it's my preferred method when I am forced to use FedEx. It is a 50/50 gamble on whether or not they can find my house on a given day, but I am usually confident they can find my local post office. UPS has a similar service called SurePost.

Philippians 4:4-7

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe you can use your PO's street address for FedEx and UPS delivery if you have a PO Box. You can get the details and address at your PO.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry about your difficulties with FedEx. Sounds like a real pain.
    My only suggestion is to look into getting a PO Box, I cannot recommend it enough. Anyone who has valuables shipped to them regularly should have one. There is also a program that allows UPS and FedEx to ship to a PO box by addressing the package to the post office street address and using the PO box as a unit number, I'm not sure if every post office does it though.
    Found it- it's called "Street Addressing". Here is the info from USPS
    An additional service to consider adding to your PO Box is Street Addressing. With Street Addressing (if available), you have the option of using the street address of your Post Office location, combined with your PO Box number, as your mailing address. This lets you receive packages from private carriers (such as UPS, FedEx, DHL, and Amazon), as long as they comply with USPS mailing standards.
    https://www.usps.com/pobox/customer-agreement-for-premium-po-box-service-enhancements.pdf

Collector, occasional seller

• TrampTramp Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oldabeintx said:

@Tramp said:

Good information here.

Do you know if the above is the default; i.e. absent any contractual agreement if the seller pays shipping, as is often the case with eBay, then FOB Destination applies? Also, can the contract between the parties change the FOB status to whatever is agreed? Important stuff. Many thanks.

Correct. FOB Destination would be the price inclusive of shipping, with no added invoice line showing additional price for shipping.

No default, typically spelled out in Seller's T&C's or clued in by how a Seller invoices, e.g. separate invoice line/charge for shipping.

As a consumer FOB Destination is definitely preferred. The Seller is responsible for the delivery of item until accepted by customer; meaning not damaged, nothing missing, etc. If damaged or missing, no matter when it occurred prior to acceptance, the Seller is responsible in making the customer whole. This could result in 100% reimbursement, if the Seller is unable to replace the item, such as a rare coin.

Understandably, many businesses' use FOB Origin and charge for shipping as a separate invoice line. This shifts the liability and risk to the customer.

Everything is negotiable in commerce including FOB, but as you stated, both parties have to agree to the change.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file