Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CAC Stickering Service Poll

BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭

Sticker service only, not grading service.

CAC Stickering Service Poll

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

cac doesn't sticker my types

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have done both #1 & #2

The third option is impossible. You can't both have a membership and not have a membership at the same time.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

But you could have done #2, then signed up for #1.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:

At shows if offered CACG material might acquire some but my best offer10pct behind CDN bid.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll go elsewhere.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally have a membership and have submitted my coins for verification

@Cougar1978 said:
    Frankly No use for them (sticker svc) nor care give them a dime of my money.

At shows if offered CACG material might acquire some but my best offer10pct behind CDN bid. They will need to find their moon money somewhere else.

Do you bother to look at the coin first before making an offer?

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Connecticoin said:

@Cougar1978 said:

At shows if offered CACG material might acquire some but my best offer10pct behind CDN bid. They will need to find their moon money somewhere else.

They don't have coins at the circus.

Long-time CAC member and submitter, have sent them thousands of coins.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    I have never submitted my coins for verification to CAC

Stickers have less meaning to me now, the legacy stickers guaranteed a CACG slab grade so they had a real function. Yeah, I know they indicate agreement but if you need someone else's validation to enjoy your coin just give it to the bellringer at Christmas to look at . :cold_sweat:

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just dropped off my first sub for CAC stickering at CSNS. We'll see how it goes. :)

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

You forgot this option: I have removed CAC stickers from my PCGS slabs.

• Options
    ShurkeShurke Posts: 191 ✭✭✭

I was just approved for membership last month, and last week I sent my first submission—a small group of four coins.

Over time I probably won’t be sending a large number of coins, but it’s nice to have the option.

• Options
    psuman08psuman08 Posts: 253 ✭✭✭

I just got my membership and expect to move the first response soon.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have done both #1 & #2

@BStrauss3 said:

That is exactly what I did. Poorly worded survey choices but I think we get the idea.

• Options
    I have done both #1 & #2

@BStrauss3 said:

"I do not have" and "I personally have" are present tense.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2024 8:52AM

It’s nothing personal it’s just business. A lot of us prefer to pick out our own nice coins. My knowing how to grade and look at coins is another factor. I do have some CACG material. However if the deal is not there for me doesn’t matter anyway.

I do like it that the CDN has added another pricing structure for that (CAC, CACG) inventory class. Now that they a TPG, many feel they should discontinue the sticker operation IMO. What’s becoming more evident is beyond being a boutique everybody knows they will never match the output of our hosts or NGC. Perhaps they should have a conservation mill submitters could run coins thru first get rid of tarnish. I saw one guys CAC coins almost all ugly tarnished garbage / somebody’s supposed to pay more for that lol? Wondered what they looked like when got sticker. Get outta here.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never submitted any coin to anywhere for any reason. I’ve got a few raw coins that will likely be submitted one day, but so far everything is as-bought.
    I do have a few CAC stickered coins and lots of slabs. I just bought them that way.

• Options
    AZDAVYAZDAVY Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

Wish I had a membership, have used third parties perhaps 40 coins

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

none here submitted. i prefer to spend the money on the coin, jmo

• Options

Due to the fact coins can tarnish / go bad in the holder over time due to exposure to the atmosphere, heat, humidity or biological attack the sticker is simply a point in time not some absolute.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I prefer PCGS, I trust NGC, ANACS and on occasion ICG to grade coins accurately and have no need of another fee based opinion, no matter whose it is. Have nothing against CAC nor anyone's use of them, that's their right to do so. I also will not pay a premium just for CAC's sticker. I have owned a few CAC stickered coins that resold quickly, but only as I was able to purchase them at a fair price for the coin I was interested in. JMO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@DelawareDoons said:

@Connecticoin said:

@Cougar1978 said:

Me too; I am not criticizing CAC, just commenting on the strict 10% back of bid offer limit, regardless of the quality of the coin itself.

• Options
    I have done both #1 & #2

@Connecticoin said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@Connecticoin said:

@Cougar1978 said:

Me too; I am not criticizing CAC, just commenting on the strict 10% back of bid offer limit, regardless of the quality of the coin itself.

Sounds like a good way to ensure you always buy "C" coins.

• Options
    edited May 7, 2024 12:20PM

No nothing personal just not in it to be the end user.
    Then have to consider if what I have in it within plan. I am sure there are people who bid way over retail to get them. Would hate to be buried deep in one like a lot of them.

I think many of them based on their BS here already lost money or really buried in that material. That’s when they start quote people, call them names, push some form of their BS; like a losing team in denial.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

You dont have to be the end user to learn how to price the COIN.

• Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2024 1:08PM

I find the legacy stickers useful when I'm bidding in auctions where I can't look at the coin, just an added sense of security that somebody else agreed with the grade. And I can cross if I had some reason to do so, knowing the grade. The newer stickers still give that second look but don't really guarantee anything upon a crossover to CACG. Now a gold sticker is a different issue for me, me like those. ;)

I will get around to CACG submissions, just way too busy with NGC Ancients right now.

• Options

@Cougar1978 said:
    Then have to consider if what I have in it within plan. I am sure there are people who bid way over retail to get them. Would hate to be buried deep in one like a lot of them.

I think many of them based on their BS here already lost money or really buried in that material. That’s when they start quote people, call them names, push some form of their BS; like a losing team in denial.

Diagnosis: Hypernatremia.

Very happy with my choice to be a long-term CAC stickering submitter and the 5 plus figures in equity it has brought my personal collection.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2024 1:51PM

There are MANY coins in my collection that I think would sticker.

It just seems like more trouble than it's worth to me, at this point in time.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have done both #1 & #2

@DelawareDoons said:

@Cougar1978 said:

Very happy with my choice to be a long-term CAC stickering submitter and the 5 plus figures in equity it has brought my personal collection.

I think you're just in denial. You're probably buried deep in your coins. Best to put them on the bay and let them rip.

;)

• Options

@lermish said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@Cougar1978 said:

I think you're just in denial. You're probably buried deep in your coins. Best to put them on the bay and let them rip.

;)

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2024 3:06PM

@Connecticoin said:

The coins I buy, if I made an offer as 'high' as 10% back bid, I'd be the laughing stock of the world. Mostly, I am lucky to pay 10% back of retail and up from there................

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭

While I have never personally submitted coins to CAC, 90+% of my purchases are PCGS CAC coins.

Joe.

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 2010-2011 I sent all of my PCGS graded coins, perhaps 80 or more at the time, to CAC for review.

Since then I have submitted infrequently as I typically only purchase coins that already have CAC approval.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2024 5:28PM

I have my membership, but have never submitted a coin. I’m considering sending in some coins I’ve had for many years (from before CAC existed) as well as some coins I’ve submitted myself to PCGS over the years that have never been to CAC. But I’m lazy and don’t know if I’ll get around to submitting them before CAC stops stickering.
    I also hate shipping valuable coins, I’ve always hand delivered the coins I submit to PCGS at shows like Long Beach just to avoid having to pack and ship them. Does CAC ever set up booths at shows where you can hand deliver them? I’ve never seen them, but wasn’t really looking for them in the past.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    I have my membership, but have never submitted a coin. I’m considering sending in some coins I’ve had for many years (from before CAC existed) as well as some coins I’ve submitted myself to PCGS over the years that have never been to CAC. But I’m lazy and don’t know if I’ll get around to submitting them before CAC stops stickering.
    I also hate shipping valuable coins, I’ve always hand delivered the coins I submit to PCGS at shows like Long Beach just to avoid having to pack and ship them. Does CAC ever set up booths at shows where you can hand deliver them? I’ve never seen them, but wasn’t really looking for them in the past.

https://www.cacgrading.com/events

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@ProofCollection said:

@Connecticoin said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@Connecticoin said:

@Cougar1978 said:

Sounds like a good way to ensure you always buy "C" coins.

Yup

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have submitted out of curiosity, and to increase liquidity and presumably value when the time comes to sell. I only submit coins above a certain value, so the cost isn’t significant, should my assumptions about the future prove false.

• Options
    edited May 8, 2024 10:02AM

@Connecticoin said:

@Cougar1978 said:

At shows if offered CACG material might acquire some but my best offer10pct behind CDN bid.

For sure look at material very carefully lol. A lot of time it’s low end trash which I reject. Others gone bad in holder - auto reject. Not their dumping ground nor bank for their mistakes.

Beyond that they can shop it around the bourse / Numismatic Investment is risky, inventory hold time varies. Offers based on current market conditions, inventory needs YMMV.

Lately my assistant, she’s real sharp (Trained her - she’s caught on quickly how to grade, price, and look at coins) will look them over, make recommendations (yay or nay) hand them to me to finalize, execute the play. Works like a charm.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file