Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does This True View look like the actual coin?

SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can NCS help this coin?

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would leave it as is. Who knows what it would look like if the grainy deposits were removed. It might look worse.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many forum members reading this thread do you think might have seen the coin in hand to be able to answer your first question?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Soldi said:
    Feld your haughty attitude and rather priggish question decided the coins fate. I will return it to the dealer. The PCGS TRUVIEW does not depict the coin and my pictures do it justice. It's almost black. It's not the first time with Tru View that I experienced this type of nonsense and waste of time. I had hoped to get some positive feed back regarding NCS and would have shipped the coin to them. After YOU FELD..Enough is enough.

Remember your Health and your Time are the most valuable things you own.

So you actually have the coin in hand, but in your thread title, asked if it looks like the TrueView. Got it. 😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Soldi said:
    Feld your haughty attitude and rather priggish question decided the coins fate. I will return it to the dealer. The PCGS TRUVIEW does not depict the coin and my pictures do it justice. It's almost black. It's not the first time with Tru View that I experienced this type of nonsense and waste of time. I had hoped to get some positive feed back regarding NCS and would have shipped the coin to them. After YOU FELD..Enough is enough.

What an absurd response to a legitimate question. How many times have you heard that it's impossible to properly grade via pictures? Now, you want a definitive answer on possible surface conditions via pictures and get offended and petulant that one of the forum experts gently and politely asks a clarifying question?

• Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2024 10:59AM

I would say that based just on looking at your terrible quality photos and the TV, the fine details and coloration areas give me a high probability that it is indeed the same coin. I would not have anyone do anything to it. If you do not like it, the best option is to sell it. And yeah, for that one I would use Heritage. ;)

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't conserve that coin. Like it or leave it.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2024 11:29AM

@Zoins said:

Thank you Mr Zoins Alas, someone can read and comprehend a part of the question. Regards, Michael

• Options
    edited May 5, 2024 11:35AM

@lermish said:

@Soldi said:

What an absurd response to a legitimate question. How many times have you heard that it's impossible to properly grade via pictures? Now, you want a definitive answer on possible surface conditions via pictures and get offended and petulant that one of the forum experts gently and politely asks a clarifying question?

The question is absurd and doesn't help that you have a need for a disclaimer to cover what might come outta ur mouth. My reply is spot on.

So lermish wat are you ? His big brother.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Soldi said:

@Zoins said:

Thank you Mr Zoins Alas, someone can read and comprehend a part of the question. Regards, Michael

Perhaps myself and my little brother Mark can't understand your question because of your syntax issues. Perhaps while considering how spot on your answer is you can look up the meaning of alas.

Or perhaps deciding to return a multi-thousand dollar coin because you didn't like a simple question from one of the most respected numismatists and board members around isn't as spot on as you think it is

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Soldi said:
    Does This photo I took look like the actual coin?

Just making sure we now have another question we can't answer in this thread

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

First of all.
    Fantastic Coin!
    Taking photos of the "exact" appearance as in hand. Would be close to impossible! Lighting, camera/phone and other situations, would make it nearly impossible to exactly duplicate your coin in hand.
    :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. Pretty sure it’s never been dipped.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2024 2:28PM

@MFeld said:

@Soldi said:

So you actually have the coin in hand, but in your thread title, asked if it looks like the TrueView. Got it. 😉

I think he wants to return the coin because the Trueview doesn't depict the coin. He might be implying that it represents two different coins or an odd Trueview is the problem. IMO, it's 100% on the Trueview. They're doing strange things with coins these days. From a 10-second check on die breaks, it sure looks like the same DM.

The Trueview was shot under more direct lighting rather than a shot of the coin in-hand at an angle or under diffuse lighting. Coins can look quite different under different lighting. For example, a seller's photo, a scan, and a Trueview of the same coin:

What happened to the dark coin I see in-hand? Here's another, a scan and a Trueview of the same 1883.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's certainly the same coin in the TrueView as the hand-held shot. Which image is more accurate and under what lighting conditions is something I do not know. However, I believe sending it to NCS or any other conservation service would be a mistake as all the green on the coin may or may not come off, but what will be left exposed underneath it might not be all that eye appealing. Also, to get all the green off you may end up with a coin significantly lighter or with more spotting and negative eye appeal.

I like the coin as-is, but understand it might be too dark for some and that for others all the green would be a non-starter. Regardless, for a +/- $3k purchase I would suggest you simply send it back if you are unhappy and then continue to look. This is a tough issue with good surfaces, superior eye appeal and lots of remaining meat, but it is worth searching for the right coin.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Soldi said:
    Can NCS help this coin?

That would depend on if you think a brighter more white coin is "helping" or not. I personally think NCS could improve the look as I am not fond of that crusty dark look but many are. In the end if it's not your cup of tea the best choice is to return it and look for one that has a look you like better.

As to the comparison of your photos to the TV, well obviously they look nothing alike. But a non true TV is hardly anything new, I have been burned a couple of times buying from only a TV photo. Not anymore, I will never trust buying from a TV photo alone.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

To be clear, I don't see anything in either the high-res Trueview or the photo that would discourage me from purchasing that coin. It looks very nice to me.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2024 4:37PM

Thanks for kind insightful answer(s).
    I returned the coin as the TV alone creates a problem down the road.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file