Home U.S. Coin Forum

Take a look at this 1937d 3 legged buffalo on ebay, now at $310 and 20 bids

BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take a look at this 1937d 3 legged buffalo nickel on ebay ( auction number 135040214368 )
comments?

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Comments

• OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake all day. Looks like designer initial is missing too.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please include links when you start such threads. If you don’t know how, learn how - you’ll be glad that you did.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    Please include links when you start such threads. If you don’t know how, learn how - you’ll be glad that you did.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/135040214368

peacockcoins

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... bid up to $331 so far.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • VetterVetter Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone is going to be very upset.

Members I have done business with:
    Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

For reference..................

• Slade01Slade01 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2024 9:45AM

Reported and advised that with the price going up, it may reach a level where EBay may be knowingly assisting in felony fraud following my warning.

Just playing with Photoshop to look at a few specific items, it really appears that it must be a cast fake, the font in the date numbers is all wrong and too obvious with the 37. And James Earle Fraser would be disappointed by being left out, which almost always remains on even G-VG coins and is quite apparent.

• UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭

@tincup said:
    That hind leg just ain't right either.

The hind leg is the first thing I look at. Obvious fake.

Joe.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

No engraver's initial on the obverse was what I looked at first...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Agree, which is why I said, "James Earle Fraser would be disappointed by being left out."

I mean you can still pretty easily see it on a G4 and even often a hint of it on AG3/FR02 on a genuine coin.

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost looks like an, "S" mint mark to me.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reported.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reported.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • zomrhinozomrhino Posts: 29 ✭✭

“It was minted in Denver.” It was most likely minted in China with the other fake coins.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@MFeld said:

Thank you @braddick.
    Since the OP starts similar threads from time to time, I’m trying to encourage him to post links. As he’s the one who already knows where to find the listings he reports.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reported.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

@Slade01 said:
    Agree, which is why I said, "James Earle Fraser would be disappointed by being left out."

I mean you can still pretty easily see it on a G4 and even often a hint of it on AG3/FR02 on a genuine coin.

These are the two lowest graded I could find on Coin Facts.

F12

VG10

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:
    Wow... bid up to $331 so far.

$360 with 33 bids 👎

• kazkaz Posts: 9,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

Horrible fake.

• giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2024 5:55PM

Lets see if Ebays A1 system manages to pull this auction or not.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/collageadult11

collageadult11,collageadult11,collageadult11, Ebay Seller Fake 3 legged 1937 D Nickel

@giantsfan20 said:

collageadult11,collageadult11,collageadult11, Ebay Seller Fake 3 legged 1937 D Nickel

And reported by about a dozen people, it they don't hey are fully aware that they are participating in this fraud. They don't seem to care much about such things though.

• WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 854 ✭✭✭✭

@Slade01 said:

@giantsfan20 said:

And reported by about a dozen people, it they don't hey are fully aware that they are participating in this fraud. They don't seem to care much about such things though.

Would it be fair to bid high, win the coin and refuse to pay as it is counterfeit and then report the seller. It would be a public service.

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's fun to see two bidders deliberately ruin these auctions with ever escalating bids into 6 or 7-figures.

I miss Russ.

3 rim nicks away from Good

@Barberian said:

I miss Russ.

• burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

• BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kudos to the folks who initiate the thread, post the links and pictures, and report these bad actors! I also reported this listing - and sent a note to the seller informing them that this counterfeit coin was getting attention "on the forums" and was being reported by numerous people - including me. :-)

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

If a real buffalo nickel were buried in the ground for a long time and was found by someone with a metal detector, wouldn't it have the same look as this coin?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2024 10:55AM

"No Returns" is red flag for me.

Add another reported advisor to the pile.

I received this reply back from ebay...

‐‐--‐---------------------------------------------
    "A decision was made on the listing you reported

Hello oih82w8,

Thanks again for reporting the listing(s) you found. 

What happened:
    We looked into your report and didn’t find the listing to be in violation of our policy.  This determination was made by a customer service agent.

If you reported content that isn’t listed below, we’ll send a separate email once we’ve made a decision. 

Your reference ID:
    2-177470470929 

Here are the listings you reported that are included in this decision:
    Item: 135040214368 1937 D Three Legged Buffalo Nickel

Thank you for being part of the eBay community.

Thanks,
    eBay"

Oh well...I tried.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    If a real buffalo nickel were buried in the ground for a long time and was found by someone with a metal detector, wouldn't it have the same look as this coin?

Having been burried in the ground does not change the font of the date as is the case with the counterfeit coin.

peacockcoins

@PerryHall said:

I don't think that it would lose its designer initial, as I can easily see it on G04, and even if the date is gone a small mark remains visible on AG02 and FR02. It is just inconceivable with that and all the other many issues that it could be genuine, like the date font that I examined closely in Photoshop.

• johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reported
    Emailed seller as well

@johnny010 said:
    Reported
    Emailed seller as well

That makes at least 10 of us, so if EBay ignores this, it once again proves that they don't care if they assist in fraud.

• MtW124MtW124 Posts: 407 ✭✭✭✭

Very mushy and cast looking. I will say fake as well

edited May 7, 2024 8:34AM

Three hours to go........................Bid $400........39 bids!!

eBay Linky

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

No, it would likely be reddish and have dirt that is impossible to remove. That "coin" is way too grey and clean.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tcollects said:
    if it ain't pissin, the leg ain't missin

• Bill Fivaz

No moth-eaten hind leg either

And EBay could care less, tells you a lot about their business practices.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin is altered. The date is suspect to start with.

The PUPs are not there.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first thing I've always looked at on a three legger is the distance the motto is from the Buffalos back. You can't fake that with any other '37D.

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

T don't think so. For one thing, the designer's initial should still be visible.

Closed at $450. I reported it anyway, hopefully ebay cancels it.

@Connecticoin said:

It does not show up in the search for the coin under the completed sales or auctions search. Perhaps EBay folded due to public pressure for a change.

@Slade01 said:

@Connecticoin said:

It does not show up in the search for the coin under the completed sales or auctions search. Perhaps EBay folded due to public pressure for a change.

Still shows up as a completed sale:

@Connecticoin said:

@Slade01 said:

@Connecticoin said:

Still shows up as a completed sale:

That always happens when they remove an item to be subtle, but if things actually sell at any price they are listed under sold items/completed items. I've had them advise me several times that they removed an item and it showed sold on the page but never made it to the sold items, and in one case I know that it was removed because I had written the seller and he sent me a nasty message, I just laughed.

This is just another example of greed by the seller and eBay when it comes to the selling of raw coins.

The last time I bought raw coins on eBay was in 2008.

I purchased three $20 Saints in the raw!!!!(How dumb can you get?)

Sent them to PCGS and they all came back MS64!!

At that time I was not a member of PCGS and gave the coins to my LCS to submit.

When I picked up my submission, all the owner of the shop could say was, "Can I keep these?" 😊🤣

Those days are long gone!!!!!

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

the 3 is wrong

it hasn't admitted it either

ebay used to nuke auctions post-close. do they not do that anymore?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file