Homeβ€Ί U.S. Coin Forum

Got to love Seth Chandler, "San Francisco coin collector launches $10,000 scavenger hunt ........."

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now this man is really doing a great thing for our hobby.

Kudos to Seth Chandler.

πŸ‘πŸ‘

Daily Mail UK

San Francisco coin collector launches $10,000 scavenger hunt to find rare dollars and pennies

A coin collector in San Francisco is hiding $10,000 worth of rare coins around town for people to uncover.

Seth Chandler set up the scavenger hunt, which began on Friday, to get more people interested in collecting coins and to educate them.

He owns Witter Coin in the Marina District and is giving away five gold, five silver and one copper coin which each range from $250 to $2,500 in value.

Daily Mail UK Story

Comments

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's pretty nice.
    A lot of folks will have fun with that.......

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder why Seth was described as a β€œcollector”, rather than a β€œdealer”.
    I also wonder how effective scavenger hunts really are at getting more people interested in collecting coins.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

Genius marketing play. Resulted in a ton of free press - interviews with all the local TV affiliates.

• Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭✭

Not free. Cost $10K.

@Glen2022 said:
    Not free. Cost $10K.

And how much would it cost to run a TV commercial in the San Francisco market? Lot more than than $10k. ;)

@Project Numismatics said:

@Glen2022 said:
    Not free. Cost $10K.

And how much would it cost to run a TV commercial in the San Francisco market? Lot more than than $10k. ;)

While true, that’s beside the point. @Glen2022 was obviously correct in stating β€œ Not free. Cost $10K.”
    The fact that other publicity options might cost more doesn’t change that.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@MFeld said:

@Glen2022 said:
    Not free. Cost $10K.

While true, that’s beside the point. @Glen2022 was obviously correct in stating β€œ Not free. Cost $10K.”

The TV coverage was in fact free. I’m sure Seth did not pay the TV stations or news outlets for the opportunity to be interviewed.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    I also wonder how effective scavenger hunts really are at getting more people interested in collecting coins.

This is interesting to me as well. One issue with a scavenger hunt is that there are no more coins to find until the next hunt.

@MFeld said:

@Glen2022 said:
    Not free. Cost $10K.

The TV coverage was in fact free. I’m sure Seth did not pay the TV stations or news outlets for the opportunity to be interviewed.

OK, you’re right. He got free TV coverage (due to having spent $10,000). Lucky for him that he didn’t have to spend $100,000 to get β€œfree” TV coverage.πŸ˜‰

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

This is interesting to me as well. One issue with a scavenger hunt is that there are no more coins to find until the next hunt.

I don’t think the goal was to get new people interested in coins. The goal was to let everyone in San Francisco who might be interested in coins, inherit a collection, want to stack some bullion, etc know that Witter Coin is out there.

That makes more sense.

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where are the clues?
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

US Coins & Jewelry in Houston did something very similar as well:

https://abc13.com/videoClip/us-coins-treasure-hunt-money/14737861/

edited May 3, 2024 5:19PM

I'm planning to go to SF and will look for these coins!

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2024 5:56PM

Didn’t someone do something similar ? Like 1909-s Vdb’s in change . I feel like a big shot spending wheat cents.

• EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seth - thats a great idea to promote coin collecting. Only problem is Seth is wearing a 49'er jersey - he should be wearing a Jet jersey...........haha

Easton Collection
  • JW77JW77 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Following is a Youtube video of the Seth introducing the scavenger hunt:
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/1KJH42w0LGE?feature=share

• EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well said -DD

Easton Collection

@EastonCollection said:
    Well said -DD

He makes a habit of that.πŸ‘

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although not a coin promotion.
    Many,many years ago one of our local radio stations had this promotion to drum up new listeners. They would hide a pink and purple pill in a phonebooth,tree, or some such everyday place. Listeners would then through the day wait for clues to be broadcast. A prize was awarded to the locator of the "pill". This did drive interest to the radio station. Probably only lasted during each promotion period. Point bring these type of promotions, for at least on a temporary basis, do create buzz.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Anyone get lucky this weekend? :)

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • tcollectstcollects Posts: 990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seth really turned around that IHOP, that place used to be notorious, a true numismatist and a class act

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. Good for all involved. Is tax included?πŸ˜†

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Five minute interview on KPIX CBS News Bay Area.

I'm seeing smart marketing guy.

CBS News

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

IT'S California....So. You can believe if they get wind of it...it's going to be taxed.

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rte592 said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

IT'S California....So. You can believe if they get wind of it...it's going to be taxed.

As opposed to every other state with a state income tax? If they get income/gambling winnings/etc, reported they don't impose an income tax?

• erscoloerscolo Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well this idea spurred interest when the "W" Quarters came out in 2019 and 2020, so why not? Good for him and some publicity as well. Taxes are the responsibility of the finder and that is who the governing authority will look to. Something positive in what too often is a sea of negativity.

edited May 10, 2024 4:09PM
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do you introduce into circulation gold coins in this day and age? As soon as a store or someone charged with handling money see it or a silver coin without obvious matches with current circulating coins they'll pull it out and examine it. I can see maybe pennies would not stand out like a sore thumb however. Expect more calls as people who are listed on google in this field from people thinking that their coins will entitle them to a big payout.

• EbeneezerEbeneezer Posts: 288 ✭✭✭

Every year during coin week I put older, obsolete coinage into circulation. Rolls or bags of wheatbacks, buffalo nickels, ect. If just one person notices them and begins collecting, how could that be wrong? So yes, Seth did a very good thing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file